City of Hope celebrates National Nurses Week with a series of giveaways and events between May 7 and 10.
Activities during Nurses Week honor health-care professionals such as Katherine Ilagan. (Photo by Walter Urie)
The activities, themed “Cultivating Nursing Excellence,” range from fresh meals and snacks to professional development and recognition. Nurses must present their City of Hope identification card to participate.
Monday, May 7
- City of Hope garden tours from 9 to 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 to 11 a.m. Members of the landscape team will lead the tours, which begin at the Spirit of Life® fountain.
- Ice cream distributed at 2 p.m. at the Bistro patio. Frozen treats will be delivered to the floors for the night shift.
Tuesday, May 8
- Gifts delivered to staff by managers
Wednesday, May 9
- Farm-to-table meals and a farmers market with fresh produce and flowers at a tent behind City of Hope Helford Clinical Research Hospital. Breakfast will be served from 6:30 to 10 a.m., lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Farm-to-table box lunches for the night shift available at the Bistro at 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, May 10
- “Engaging the Leader Inside You: Schlumpy Mary Beware!,” a special presentation by Melissa Fitzpatrick, R.N., M.S.N., past president of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, in Cooper Auditorium. Two sessions will be held, from 9:30 to 11 a.m. and 1:30 to 3 p.m. (Refreshments will be served; R.S.V.P. to Marie Valdez at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Professional practice and scholarly recognition celebration at the Visitor Center from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- An additional surprise treat for nurses