The Jewish Consumptive Relief Association was officially incorporated. 10 acres of land were purchased to establish the Los Angeles Sanatorium.
The sanatorium officially opens its doors. During its first year, it admitted 31 patients.
The Jewish Ex-Patients Home, which helps discharged tuberculosis patients with health education, job training and ongoing emotional and spiritual support, merges with the Los Angeles Sanatorium in 1928.
The International Ladies’ Garment Workers Union contributes $45,000 toward the construction of the 64-bed Morris Hillquit Memorial Hospital. The finished building is dedicated in 1938, the sanatorium’s 25th anniversary year.
With tuberculosis on the wane, Executive Director Samuel L. Golter outlines a plan to transform the sanatorium into a national medical center focused on cancer and other major diseases.
The name "City of Hope", used since 1916, is formally adopted, reflecting the institution's broader ambitions.
City of Hope partners with University of California, Los Angeles to establish the Cancer Research Institute on the Duarte campus.
The so-called “cobalt bomb,” a radiation therapy machine developed by City of Hope scientists, is put into operation. The cobalt bomb delivered radiation to malignancies deep within the human body.
The focus on compassionate care reaches new heights with the opening of Hope Village
, which provides on-site housing for patients and their families traveling from across the nation.
Executive Director Ben Horowitz unveils a master plan that calls for enlarging patient care, research and medical education facilities. This included expanding research and treatment programs for cancer and other diseases.
The Bone Marrow Transplantation program
(BMT) accepts its first patients. The BMT program will grow to become one of the largest and most successful transplantation programs in the country.
Recombinant DNA techniques pioneered by City of Hope scientists lead to the development of synthetic human insulin (Humulin).
The first Beckman Research Institute
, a name that would become synonymous with leading-edge research, is established at City of Hope.
Scientists at City of Hope discover how to manufacture immune proteins known as antibodies. This breakthrough leads to humanized monoclonal antibodies — and a new generation of "smart" cancer drugs including Herceptin, Rituxan and Avastin.
The first Food and Drug Administration-approved human trials of a gene therapy for HIV/AIDS begin. This line of research would lead, in 2011, to the first long-term persistence of anti-HIV genes in patients with AIDS-related lymphoma treated through gene therapy.
The Center for Biomedicine & Genetics
opens, enabling City of Hope to create biologically based treatments for use in clinical trials. In 2012, a facility producing chemically based drugs would open. These centers, and a complementary third facility, quickly translate discoveries into treatments.
The National Institutes of Health designates City of Hope as an Islet Cell Resource Center.
City of Hope becomes one of the first U.S. medical centers to perform laparoscopic radical prostatectomies to treat prostate cancer.
The Helford Clinical Research Hospital
opens, replacing Hillquit Hospital. The Helford Hospital maximizes the human side of patient care and significantly increases City of Hope’s capacity for surgical procedures and programs such as the BMT.
Scientists at City of Hope begin the first in-human clinical trials of RNA-based gene therapy for HIV-related illnesses
The City of Hope Medical Foundation is established.
City of Hope reaches its milestone 10,000th bone marrow transplant, becoming one of the largest and most successful transplant programs of its kind in the world.
City of Hope celebrates its 100th anniversary.