Historical Milestones 1913 - 1940s
1914
Officially chartered in 1913, the JCRA opens the Los Angeles Sanatorium.

1920
The Jewish Ex-Patients Home helps discharged tuberculosis patients with health education, job training and ongoing emotional and spiritual support. The Ex-Patients Home merges with the Los Angeles Sanatorium in 1928.

1924
The JCRA holds its first national convention in May.

1930
The deepening Depression adversely affects fundraising efforts. But the Hollywood film community, particularly Warner Bros., broadly supports the efforts of the sanatorium with fundraising events and donations. The Warner Memorial Clinic is dedicated in March.

1937
The International Ladies’ Garment Workers Union contributes $45,000 toward the construction of the 64-bed Morris Hillquit Memorial Hospital. The finished building is dedicated in 1938, the sanatorium’s 25th anniversary year. 

1943
Streptomycin is isolated by Dr. Albert Schatz, Ph.D., at Rutgers University, resulting in the first antibiotic treatment for tuberculosis.

1946
With tuberculosis on the wane, Executive Director Samuel L. Golter outlines a plan to transform the sanatorium into a national medical center focused on cancer and other major diseases.

1949
The Los Angeles Sanatorium changes its name to City of Hope—A Jewish National Medical Center. The name will change again, in 1953, to City of Hope—A National Medical Center under Jewish Auspices.