Results for STATs, pre-BMT's and newly diagnosed leukemias are available within seven days. All others are available in seven to 10 days but our goal is to report results as soon as they are available. Complex studies may require additional days. Specimens are accepted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- A bone marrow aspirate is the specimen of choice in most cases of leukemia, myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative disorders.
- Obtain 1 to 2 ml of bone marrow (minimum 0.5 ml) in a heparinized syringe (approximately 500 USP sodium heparin per ml of specimen) and transfer the specimen into a green top sodium heparin tube. Keep at room temperature and ship as soon as possible.
- Draw 5 to 20 ml of peripheral blood into a green top sodium heparin tube. Mix well by inverting. Keep at room temperature and ship as soon as possible.
- Bone marrow core biopsies should be placed in HBSS or RPMI medium.
Flow cytometry / molecular diagnostics
The laboratory is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- For leukemia and lymphoma panels, draw six green top tubes (sodium heparin) and one purple top tube. Maintain at room temperature and ship as soon as possible. ACD tubes are acceptable. Sodium lithium should not be used.
- Draw at least one purple top tube, maintain at room temperature and ship as soon as possible. ACD and sodium heparin tubes are acceptable.