As an independent biomedical research and treatment institution, City of Hope specializes in turning research breakthroughs into new treatments. Other specialists are available through the media hotline at 800-888-5323.
BREAST AND WOMEN’S CANCERS:
- Laura L. Kruper, M.D.: Director of the Women’s Health Center; co-director, Breast Cancer Program, director, Breast Surgery; focuses on optimizing breast cancer management through better clinical trials.
- Yuman Fong, M.D., an internationally recognized expert in hepatobiliary cancer and in the use of genetically modified viruses to combat malignant disease, is the chair of the Department of Surgery at City of Hope.
- Stephen J. Forman, M.D.: Francis & Kathleen McNamara Distinguished Chair in Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation; has developed City of Hope into an international leader in leukemia, lymphoma, hematologic malignancy and bone marrow and stem cell transplantation.
- Leslie Popplewell, M.D.: Specialist in hematopoietic and stem cell transplantation, lymphoma and hematologic malignancies.
- Dan J. Raz, M.D.: Surgical director of Lung Cancer and Thoracic Oncology Program; is a strong proponent of early screening via CT scans.
- Karen Reckamp, M.D., medical director for Clinical Research Operations and co-director of the Lung Cancer and Thoracic Oncology Program, specializes in studies of new therapies.
- Marvin G. Fakih, M.D., is the interim chair and professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research and the director of the Gastrointestinal Cancer Program. He research focuses on new treatments for advanced colorectal cancer.
- Linda Malkas, Ph.D.: Deputy director of Basic Research; specialist in molecular oncology research and importance of translational research.
- Fouad R. Kandeel, M.D., Ph.D., professor and chair in the Department of Clinical Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism, chair of the Translational Research and Cellular Therapeutics Department, participates in the development of the national guidelines for the management of neuroendocrine tumors and thyroid cancer. He is also the Principal Investigator on the islet transplantation trial to determine the safety and efficacy of islet cell transplantation as a treatment for patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Raynald Samoa, M.D.: Endocrinologist specializing in obesity, childhood obesity.
- Dr. John A. Zaia, M.D.: Chair and professor, Department of Virology; specialist in AIDS vaccines, stem cell research and gene therapy.