Alex Herrera, M.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
Alex Herrera, M.D.
Alex Herrera, M.D., earned his undergraduate degree summa cum laude from Princeton University and received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. While in Boston, Dr. Herrera completed his residency in internal medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, before pursuing a hematology-oncology fellowship at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Herrera is the recipient of several honors, grants, and awards including the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation/Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation George Santos Award for Best Clinical Science Article by a New Investigator, American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology/Conquer Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award. He has published 21 articles in peer-reviewed publications, abstracts and book chapters, and has been invited to present his work nationally. Dr. Herrera was recently awarded the City of Hope K12 Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Herrera is a member of the Toni Stephenson Lymphoma Center.
- 2015 - Present - Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2014 - 2015 - Instructor, City of Hope, Bone Marrow Transplantation Fellowship, Duarte, CA
- 2004-2009 - Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, M.D.
- 1999-2003 - Princeton Univeristy, Princeton, NJ, A.B. History, Summa Cum Laude
- 2012-2014 - Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2009-2012 - Internal Medicine Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Oncology
Herrera AF, Jacobsen EJ. Ibrutinib in the Treatment of Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Nov 1;20(21):5365-71
Herrera AF, Kim HT, Bindra B, Jones KT, Alyea EP, Armand P, Cutler CS, Ho VT, Nikiforow S, Ritz J, Blazar BR, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Koreth J. A Phase II Study Of Proteasome-Inhibition For Initial Therapy Of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 Jul 10. PMID: 25017765
Herrera AF, Crosby-Thompson A, Friedberg JW, Abel GA, Czuczman MS, Gordon LI, Kaminski MS, Millenson M, Nademanee A, Niland J, Rodig SJ, Rodriguez MA, Zelenetz AD, LaCasce AS. Comparison of Referring and Final Pathology for Patients with T-Cell Lymphoma in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Cancer. 2014 Jul 1;120(13):1993-9. PMID: 24706502
Bhatt AS, Freeman SS, Herrera AF, Pedamallu CS, Gevers D, Duke F, Jung J, Michaud M, Walker BJ, Young S, Earl AM, Kostic AD, Ojesina AI, Hasserjian R, Ballen KK, Chen YB, Hobbs G, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Baden LR, Garrett WS, Hornick JL, Marty FM, Meyerson M. Sequence-based discovery of Bradyrhizobium enterica in cord colitis syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2013 Aug 8;369(6):517-28. PMID:23924002
*Herrera AF, *Soriano G, Bellizi A, Hornick JL, Ho VT, Ballen KK, Baden LR, Cutler CS, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Marty FM. Cord Colitis Syndrome In Cord-Blood Stem-Cell Transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2011 Sep 1;365(9):815-24. PMID:21879899 *These authors contributed equally
Schreiber YS, Herrera AF, Wilson D, Wallengren K, Draper R, Muller J, Dawood H, Doucette S, Cameron DW, Alvarez GG. Tuberculosis retreatment category predicts resistance in hospitalized retreatment patients in a high HIV prevalence area. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009 Oct;13(10):1274-80. PMID:19793433
Esserman LJ, Kumar AS, Herrera AF, Leung J, Au A, Chen YY, Moore DH, Chen DF, Hellawell J, Wolverton D, Hwang ES, Hylton NM. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Captures the Biology of Ductal Carcinoma In Situ, J Clin Oncol. 2006 Oct 1;24(28):4603-10. PMID:17008702
Text Book Chapters
Herrera AF, Alyea EP. Transplant for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In: Lazarus H (ed). Current Concepts and Controversies in Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. (in press)
Herrera AF, Longo DL. Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin’s. (2014). In: Caplan M (ed). Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences. Elsevier.
- 2015, City of Hope K12 Paul Calabresi Career Development Award for Clinical Oncology
- 2015, George Santos Award for Best Clinical Science Article by a New Investigator, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation/Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- 2014-15, Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award, American Society of Hematology
- 2014, American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award
- 2014, American Society of Hematology Research Training Award for Fellows Finalist
- 2014, Young Investigator Award,American Society of Clinical Oncology/Conquer Cancer Foundation
- 2013, Annual Meeting Abstract Achievement Award, American Society of Hematology
- 2012, Chief Resident, West Roxybury VA Hospital, Brigham and Women's Internal Medicine Residency Program
- 2007-2008, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation International Clinical Research Fellowship
- 2005, Harvard Medical School Paul Dudley White Traveling Fellowship
- 2003-2004, Princeton Project 55 Public Interest Program Fellowship