M. Houman Fekrazad, M.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research
- Staff Physician
M. Houman Fekrazad, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- New therapeutic agents for gastrointestinal and other cancers
- Nanotechnology - transdermal drug delivery
M. Houman Fekrazad, M.D., is an associate clinical professor of medical oncology at City of Hope | Antelope Valley. Dr. Fekrazad comes to City of Hope from the University of New Mexico (UNM) Cancer Center in Albuquerque where he was an Assistant Professor of Hematology/Medical Oncology and Co-director of the ACGME sponsored Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program. Also, he served as medical director at the CHRISTUS-St. Vincent Cancer Center in Santa Fe in 2011. Triple board-certified in hematology, medical oncology and internal medicine, Dr. Fekrazad earned his medical doctorate as a valedictorian student from Shiraz University School of Medicine in Iran. He then took positions as a sports medicine physician with the Basketball Federation of Iran in Tehran, followed by a leadership role with the Iran Helicopter Support and Renewal Company's occupational medical office, also in Tehran.
He went on to complete both an internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham where he was chosen "Resident of the Year." He then served as an attending physician at the VA Medical Center in Albuquerque, later moving on to the UNM in Albuquerque where he became "Fellow of the Year" while completing his hematology and oncology fellowship. He was selected as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society for outstanding achievements during fellowship. Thereafter, he was appointed to the faculty of the UNM Cancer Center's faculty before coming to City of Hope.
Dr. Fekrazad's clinical research interests center on new therapeutic agents for GI and other cancers, and on nanotechnology, where he holds a patent on transdermal drug delivery. He has published more than 40 peer reviewed publications, abstracts and book chapters.
- 2014 to present - Associate clinical professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Lancaster, CA
- 2011 to present - Editor, World Journal of Plastic Surgery
- 2009 to 2014 - Assistant professor, University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM
- 2009 to 2014 - Program co-director, Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM
- 2009 to 2011 - Medical director, CHRISTUS-St. Vincent Cancer Center (University of New Mexico), Santa Fe, NM
- 2006 - Attending internal medicine physician, Locum Tenens VA Medical Center, Albuquerque, NM
- 2002 to 2003 - Clinical researcher, Division of Cardiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- 2001 - Assistant professor, Microbiology and Neuroscience, St. Matthew's University School of Medicine, San Pedro, Belize
- 1999 - Doctor of sports medicine, Basketball Federation of Iran
- 1995 to 1996 - Chair, Occupational Medical Office, Helicopter Support and Renewal Company, Tehran, Iran
- M.D.,1994, M.D., Shiraz University School of Medicine, Shiraz, Iran - graduated class valedictorian
- 2006-2009, Hematology and oncology fellowship, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- 2004-2006, Internal medicine residency program, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- 2004, Internal medicine internship, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical oncology
- California Medical License
- Fekrazad MH1, Sanaei O, Garcia DA. Anticoagulation Selection in Atrial Fibrilation: New Oral Anticoagulants versus Warfarin. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 2015. In-press
- Murad W, Fekrazad MH1. Hypertrophic lichen planus mimicking Squamous cell carcinoma of skin. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2014 Sep 11
- Bauman J, Shaheen M, Verschraegen CF, Belinsky SA, Houman Fekrazad M, Lee FC, Rabinowitz I, Ravindranathan M, Jones DV Jr. A Phase I Protocol of Hydralazine and Valproic Acid in Advanced, Previously Treated Solid Cancers. Transl Oncol. 2014 Apr 17
- Libby E, Garcia D, Quintana D, Fekrazad MH, Bauman J, Ebaid A, Hromas R, Rabinowitz I, Wiggins C. Disease-specific survival for patients with multiple myeloma: significant improvements over time in all age groups. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Mar 4.
- Rojas-Hernandez CM, Coleman JF, Czuchlewski DR, Fekrazad MH1. Spontaneous regression of high grade primary gastric Lymphoma in an untreated viral hepatitis infection. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Mar 17.
- Bauman JE, Arias-Pulido H, Lee SJ, Fekrazad MH, Ozawa H, Fertig E, Howard J, Bishop J, Wang H, Olson GT, Spafford MJ, Jones DV, Chung CH. A phase II study of temsirolimus and erlotinib in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic, platinum-refractory head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2013 May;49(5):461-7.
- Bauman J1, Verschraegen C, Belinsky S, Muller C, Rutledge T, Fekrazad MH, Ravindranathan M, Lee SJ, Jones D. A phase I study of 5-azacytidine and erlotinib in advanced solid tumor malignancies. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2012 Feb;69(2):547-54.
- Ravi-Kumar S, Sanaei O, Vasef M, Rabinowitz I, Fekrazad MH1. Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Associated With Breast Implants. World Journal of Plastic Surg. 3. 2012; 1 (1) :30-35.
- Fekrazad MH1, Eberhardt S, Jones DV, Lee FC. Development of bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia with platinum-based chemotherapy for metastatic rectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2010 Jul;9(3):177-8. doi: 10.3816/CCC.2010.n.024.
- Ravi-Kumar S, Sanaei O, Vasef M, Rabinowitz I, Fekrazad MH1. Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Associated With Breast Implants. World Journal of Plastic Surg. 3. 2012; 1 (1):30-35.
- Czuchlewski DR, Brackney M, Ewers C, Manna J, Fekrazad MH, Martinez A, Nolte KB, Hjelle B, Rabinowitz I, Curtis BR, McFarland JG, Baumbach J, Foucar K. Clinicopathologic features of agranulocytosis in the setting of levamisole-tainted cocaine. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Mar;133(3):466-72.
- Gilliam E, Winters J, McGuire E, Lee S, Purdy M, Fekrazad MH, Royce M, Choi K. Efficacy and safety of intravenous bisphosphonates beyond two years. The Internet Journal of Oncology. 2009 Volume 7 Number 2 ISSN: 1528-8331.
- Brackney M, Baumbach, J, Ewers C, Martinez AL, Hagan J, Czuchlewski, D, Foucar, K, Fekrazad MH, Seifert, SA, Rimple, D, Nolte, KB, Buchanan, JA, Lavonas, EJ, Nelson, C, Wood, RW, Duchin, JS, VanEenwyk, J, Reuter, N. Ta, ML, Vagi, S. Agranulocytosis Associated with Cocaine Use --- Four States, March 2008--November 2009. MMWR, December 18, 2009 / 58(49);1381-1385.
- Fekrazad HM1, Lopes RD, Stashenko GJ, Alexander JH, Garcia D. Treatment of venous thromboembolism: guidelines translated for the clinician. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2009 Oct;28(3):270-5.
- Fekrazad HM1, Verschraegen CF, Royce M, Smith HO, Chyi Lee F, Rabinowitz I. A phase I study of flavopiridol in combination with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with metastatic cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug;33(4):393-7.
- Rosenbaum L, Fekrazad MH, Rabinowitz I, Vasef MA. Epstein-Barr virus-associated inflammatory pseudotumor of the spleen: report of two cases and review of the literature. J Hematop. 2009 Jul;2(2):127-31.
- Mills DA1, Fekrazad HM, Verschraegen CF. SNS-595, a naphthyridine cell cycle inhibitor and stimulator of apoptosis for the treatment of cancers. 2008 Jun;9(6):647-57.
- Fekrazad MH1, Ravindranathan M, Jones DV Jr. Response of intracranial metastases to erlotinib therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Nov 1;25(31):5024-6
- Saif MW, Fekrazad MH, Ledbetter L, Diasio RB. Hypokalemia secondary to capecitabine: a hidden toxicity? Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2007 Mar;3(1):177-80.
- Fekrazad MH, Wallace AM, Verschraegen C, Vinh-Hung V, Zavadoval E, Royce M. Role of Radiotherapy in Patients with Early Breast Cancer. US Oncological Disease 2006. Touch Briefing, London, UK.
- Fekrazad MH, Sanjarian A. Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment of Rejection in Cardiac Transplantation. 1993. Shiraz University School of Medicine. Thesis.
- Fekrazad MH. Effects of IV Metronidazole in Treatment of 31 Patients with Pseudomembraneous. 1993. Shiraz University School of Medicine Press.
- Fekrazad MH. Effects of Hydralazine on 23 Preeclamptic Patients. 1992. Shiraz University School of Medicine Press.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- Southwest Oncology Group
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group
- National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- 2012 - People’s Caring Awards by Patients Living Through Cancer in New Mexico
- 2009 - Fellow of the Year, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- 2009 - Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2006 - Resident of the Year, University of Alabama, Department of Internal Medicine
- 2006 - Best Clinical Paper Award, University of Alabama, Department of Internal Medicine
- 2001 - Teacher of the Year Award, St. Matthew's University School of Medicine
- 1996 - Recognition of Efforts Award, Iran Helicopter Support and Renewal Company
- 1994 - Valedictorian, Shiraz University School of Medicine