Jana Portnow, M.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics
- Associate Director, Brain Tumor Program
- Medical Oncologist
Jana Portnow, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
- Neurologic Oncology
“I want to help people battling brain cancer as much as I can."
A key member of the City of Hope team since 2002, Jana Portnow, M.D., feels a special affinity for patients with brain cancer, even though she often seems to be giving them bad news. "They are grateful for what I do for them and surprisingly not resentful that their prognosis is not good," she says.
Dr. Portnow is heavily involved in research to improve treatment of the most aggressive and difficult brain cancers. She is investigating the use of microdialysis to monitor a drug's effectiveness as well as the application of neural stem cells to deliver chemotherapy directly into inoperable tumors. Also, Dr. Portnow is examining immunotherapy options including a clinical trial using specially modified T-cells.
Dr. Portnow received her medical degree from the University of Rochester, and completed residencies and fellowships at Temple University and Johns Hopkins University.
A native New Yorker, Dr. Portnow calls City of Hope “a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is collegial and supportive, which is not always the case in research institutions."
- 2010 - 2012, Member, Clinical Research Governance Board
- 2010 - Present Member, City of Hope Physician Well-Being Committee
- 2010 - 2012- Chair, City of Hope Data and Safety Monitoring Board
- 2008 - 2010 Associate Chair, City of Hope Data & Safety Monitoring Committee
- 2004- Present, Member, City of Hope Patient Rights and Organiaztional Ethics Committee
- 2002 - present, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, and Assistant Director, Brain Tumor Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1994, M.D.,University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- 1989, B.A., Psychology, Brown University, Providence, RI
- 1999 -2002, Medical Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1998 -1999, Neuro-Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1997 -1998, Chief Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 1994 -1997, Resident, Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 2002, State of California
- 2001, 2012 Medical Oncology
- 1997, Internal Medicine
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.