Victoria L. Seewaldt, M.D.
- Ruth Ziegler Professor and Chair, Department of Population Sciences
- Associate Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center
Victoria L. Seewaldt, M.D.
- Population Sciences
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Prevention
- Early Cancer Detection
- Cancer Biomarkers
- Wellness and cancer prevention
- Biomarkers for early cancer detection
Victoria Seewaldt, M.D., is an accomplished clinician and researcher who's devoted to improving the lives of her patients and the community at large. She has led community outreach education efforts on cancer prevention through personal wellbeing and directed research aimed at finding biomarkers that can be used for early cancer detection, particularly triple-negative breast cancers that are especially resistant to treatment.
At City of Hope, Dr. Seewaldt will direct efforts to provide breast cancer education, free breast cancer screening and treatment, mentorship of young minority scholars, and a forum for community partnered trials. Clinically, Dr. Seewaldt aims to empower women at high breast cancer risk to be full partners in developing wellness strategies to promote personal health.
Dr. Seewaldt received her medical degree from the University of California, Davis, and completed her residency and clinical fellowship at the University of Washington in Seattle. She then pursued a medical oncology fellowship with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and then became an assistant professor at Ohio State University. Afterwards, she transferred to Duke University, where she held various clinical, academic and leadership roles in its School of Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center — most recently as a professor, co-leader of the breast and ovarian cancer program and head of the cancer breast prevention program — before joining City of Hope.
- 2015 to present - Ruth Ziegler Professor and Chair, Department of Population Sciences, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2015 to present - Associate Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2009 to 2015 - Professor, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2006 to 2009 - Associate Professor, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2005 to 2008 - Vice Chair of Research - Oncology, Department of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2004 to 2010 - Head, Career Development Program, Duke Cancer Institute, Durham, NC
- 2004 to 2011 - Associate Professor of Pharmacology, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2004 to 2009 - Executive Leadership, Duke Cancer Institute, Durham, NC
- 2004 to 2015 - Co-Leader, Breast and Ovarian Program, Duke Cancer Institute, Durham, NC
- 2002 to 2015 - Head, Breast Cancer Prevention Program, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2001 to 2009 - Associate Professor, Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 2000 to 2001 - Assistant Professor, Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- 1998 to 2000 - Assistant Professor, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Breast Cancer
- 1989 - University of California, Davis, CA, M.D.
- 1980 - Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, B.A. in Chemistry
- 1993 to 1998 - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1992 to 1993 - University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Clinical Fellowship in Medical Oncology
- 1990 to 1992 - University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Internal Medicine Residency
- 1989 to 1990 - University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Ob/Gyn Internship
- Internal Medicine
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Women in Cancer Research
- NCCN Consensus Prevention Committee
- NCI Advisory Board, Breast Cancer Steering Committee
- NIH PSOC External Advisory Committee
- NIH/NCI Committee A (charter member)
- Susan G. Komen Promise Award for Breast Cancer Prevention
- Malek Award
- ELAM National Leadership Award
- NCI/SPORE AVON Achievement Award
- Susan G. Komen/BMW Award for Breast Cancer Research
- W.K. Joklik Award in Basic Science Research
- V Foundation Scholar
- American Cancer Society Award for meritorious research
- NIH K08 Investigation Award
- CNRU/NIH New Investigator Award
- Upjohn Award for Outstanding Oncology Fellow
- Merk Manual Award for Academic Achievement
- Robert Stowell Award for Excellence in Pathology