What are the current screening guidelines for breast cancer?
The American Cancer Society screening recommendations for women with average breast cancer risk are:
- Women between 40 to 44 years old should consider beginning annual mammograms
- Women between 45 to 54 should get annual mammograms
- Women age 55 or older should switch to mammograms every two years, or have the choice to continue annual screening.
For women with high breast cancer risk, the American Cancer Society recommends:
- Beginning annual screening mammograms at age 30
- Screening with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in addition to annual mammograms