Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery
Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D.
- Plastic Surgery
Wai-Yee Li, M.D., Ph.D., is an assistant clinical professor in the department of surgery, specializing in plastic surgery.
Dr. Li earned her bachelor of science in Pathological Science with honors from the University of Birmingham, England, where she also completed her bachelor of medicine and surgery. She continued her education with an internship in medicine and surgery at Crawley Hospital in West Sussex, and began her training in General Surgery at The Royal Marsden and St. Heliers Hospital in Surrey. Dr. Li then entered plastic and reconstructive surgery training at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, and obtained her Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. She went on to pursue a PhD in wound healing and craniofacial development, at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, University of Southern California. During this time she was awarded multiple fellowships including The Joint American College of Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of England USA Fellowship, the CHLA Research Institute Career Development Award and the Wound Healing Foundation/3M Fellowship. Dr. Li then completed her residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at USC, followed by a pediatric plastic surgery fellowship at the University of British Columbia, Canada.
During her training, Dr. Li was the recipient of several honors, awards and scholarships including the Leonard R. Rubin 2014 American Association of Plastic Surgeons Best Paper Award; the Southern California Clinical and Translational Institute Pilot Funding Award; Novel Methods and Technology for a Tissue Engineered Auricle in 2013, the Operation Smile Stryker Fellowship, to fund a mission trip to Guangzhou, China in 2012 and the American College of Surgeons Excellence in Research Award in 2006.
Dr. Li holds affiliate memberships with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons and the World Association of Plastic Surgeons of Chinese Descent. She has written 14 peer reviewed publications, two book chapters, and is frequently invited to present her work at international conferences and meetings.
- 2002-2008 - University of Manchester, England, Wound Healing and Craniofacial Development
- 2000-2001 - Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, England, Senior SHO Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1997-1999 - The Royal Marsden and St. Heliers Hospital, Surrey, England, Basic Surgical Training
- 1990-1996 - University of Birmingham Medical School, England, MB, ChB, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- 1994-1995 - University of Birmingham, England, B.Sc., Pathological Studies, with Honors
Beca de investigación
- 2014-2015 - Pediatric Plastic Surgery Fellow, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- 2008-2014 - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- 1996-1997 - Internship, Medicine and Surgery, Crawley Hospital, West Sussex, England
- California Medical License
Prevalence and Awareness of Authorship Issues: A Study of Academic Plastic Surgeons. Reinisch JF, Li WY, Yu DC and Walker JW. Plast Reconstr Surg. Aug 2013: 132(2):303e-10e.
Bilateral spontaneous flexor digitorum profundus tendon rupture of the fifth digit: case report and literature review. Li WY, Rommer E and Kulber DA. Hand. May 2013: 8: 239-241.
Guide to Early Surgical Management of Lip Hemangiomas Based On Our Experience of 214 cases. Li WY, Chaudry O and Reinisch JF. Plast Reconstr Surg. November 2011:128 (5):1117 – 1124
Pits, Cysts and Tumors. Li WY and Reinisch JF. Plast Reconstr Surg. July 2009 ;124 (1 Suppl):106e-116e.
Signaling through Tgf-beta type I receptor Alk5 is required for upper lip fusion. Li, WY Dudas, M. and Kaartinen, V. Mechanisms of Development. 2008. 125 (9-10) 874-882.
Tissue-specific expression of Cre recombinase from the Tgfb3 locus. Yang, LT, Li, WY and Kaartinen, V. Genesis. 2008. 46(2): 112-118.
Invited Review: Palatal Fusion – Where Do The Midline Cells Go? Dudas M, Li WY, Kim J, Yang A, Kaartinen V. Acta Histochemica. January 2007, 109 (1-14).
Epithelial And Ectomesenchymal Role Of The Type I TGF-b Receptor Alk5 During Facial Morphogenesis And Palatal Fusion. Dudas M, Kim J, Li WY, Nagy A, Larsson J, Karlsson S, Chai Y, Kaartinen V. Developmental Biology. Aug 2006, 296(2):298 - 314.
TGF-b3 Affects PAI-1 Expression In Fetal Mice And Modulates Fibroblast-Mediated Collagen Gel Contraction. Li WY, Huang EY, Dudas M,, Kaartinen V, Warburton D, Tuan TL. Wound Repair Regeneration. June 2006, 14 516 - 525
The Plasminogen Activator/Plasmin System: A Major Player In Wound Healing? Li WY, Chong, SN, Huang EY and Tuan TL. Wound Repair Regeneration. 2003, 11 (4) 239 -247.
Reliability Of Pre-Operative Biopsies In The Histological Grading Of Colorectal Adenocarcinomas. Burton S, Li WY, Eddy B, Reddy K, Aslam M, Owen ERTC and Weston J. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003, 85 (1) 23-25
Microdochectomy In Women Aged Over 50 Years. Burton S, Li WY, Himpson R, Sulieman S and Ball A. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2003, 85(1)
Comprehensive Cleft Care. Eds. Losee J and Kirschner RE. Chapter 29: Complications of Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery. Reinisch JF, Li WY and Urata, M. New York. McGraw-Hill. 2008
- 2014, Leonard R. Rubin, American Association of Plastic Surgeons Best Paper Award
- 2013, Southern California Clinical and Translational Institute Pilot Funding Award, Novel Methods and Technology: Tissue Engineered Auricle for Microtia application
- 2012, The Operation Smile Stryker Fellowship to Fund Mission trip to Fengkai, Guangzhou, China
- 2006, American College of Surgeons Excellence in Research Award
- 2003-2004, The Joint American College of Surgeons and Royal College of Surgeons of England USA Fellowship
- 2003, 3M/American Wound Healing Foundation Young Investigator Fellowship Award
- 2002-2003, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Research Institute Career
- 1995, Francis Brett Young Scholarship
- 1995, The University of Birmingham Graduate Travel Award
- 1995, The British Medical and Dental Students Trust Travel Award
- 1995, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Medal in Rheumatology
- 1994, The Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Scholarship
- 1994, The Medical Defense Union Elective Travel Award
- 1993, Medical School Best Essay Prize in Pathological Studies, University of Birmingham, England