Jana Portnow, M.D.
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics
- Associate Director, Brain Tumor Program
Jana Portnow, M.D.
Enfoque de la investigación :
- Gliomas, brain metastases
- Medical Oncology
Áreas de especialidad
- Brain Tumors
Jana Portnow, M.D., is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research.
Dr. Portnow earned her undergraduate degree at Brown University and her medical degree from University of Rochester School of Medicine. She completed her internal medicine residency at Temple University Hospital, where she was chosen to do an additional year of teaching and administration as a chief resident. She then completed fellowships in oncology and neuro-oncology at Johns Hopkins Medical Center before joining the faculty at City of Hope in 2002.
She is Associate Director of City of Hope's Brain Tumor Program and clinical leader of the neural stem cell brain tumor research program. Nationally, she serves as vice-chairperson of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines Panel for CNS Cancers, and she reviews grant applications as a member of the National Institute of Health (NIH) Clinical Oncology Study Section.
Her research interests include early drug development, with an emphasis on understanding if new chemotherapies can cross the blood-brain barrier and achieve sufficient concentrations in the brain. She has expertise in performing early phase clinical trials of cellular therapies and is currently the principal investigator of a first-in-human study of genetically modified neural stem cells in patients with recurrent high grade gliomas, as well as a first-in-human study of CAR T cells for the treatment of brain metastases.
Dr. Portnow has numerous peer-reviewed publications and has received research funding from the NIH/National Cancer Institute, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, California Institute of Regenerative Medicine and Phase One Foundation.
- 2012 - present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012 - present, Associate Director, Brain Tumor Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2010 - present, Member, City of Hope Physician Well-being Committee
- 2004 - present, Member, City of Hope Patient Rights and Organizational Ethics Committee
- 2010 - 2012 - Chair, City of Hope Data and Safety Monitoring Board
- 2010 - 2012, Member, Clinical Research Governance Board
- 2008 - 2010 Associate Chair, City of Hope Data & Safety Monitoring Committee
- 1994, M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- 1989, B.A., Psychology, Brown University, Providence, RI
Beca de investigación
- 1999 -2002, Medical Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1998 -1999, Neuro-Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1997 -1998, Chief Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 1994 -1997, Resident, Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 2000 - Present Member, Society for Neuro-Oncology
- 1999 - Present Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 1991 - 1992 President, Women in Medicine Taskforce, University of Rochester, American Medical Student Association