Gagandeep Singh, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Head, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery
- Liver and Pancreatic Surgeon
- Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery
- Vice Chair and Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery
Gagandeep Singh, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Surgical Oncology
- Liver and Pancreatic Surgery
- Liver Surgery
- Pancreatic Cancer Surgery
- Gallbladder and Bile Duct Surgery
- Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs)/Carcinoid Tumors
- Ablative Therapies
- Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (NET) and Carcinoid Tumors
- Liver Metastases
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Liver Tumors
- Liver and Pancreatic Surgery - Technical Innovations
Dr. Singh is an internationally recognized liver and pancreatic surgeon. He is the Vice Chair of the Department of Surgery, Chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology, and the Head of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Program at City of Hope, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. He graduated from Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, India in 1985, and then received his surgical training at some of the top cancer centers and hepatobiliary institutes across the world before coming to the United States and re-certifying. These institutes include- Tata Memorial Hospital and Cancer Center (Bombay), René Descartes University- Hôpital Cochin (Paris), and at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital (UK- Britain). In the USA, these include, Marion Bessin Liver Center at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (New York), Maricopa Medical Center (Phoenix), and the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (Iowa City). Dr. Singh is a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery, USA, and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
He started his faculty academic career at Keck School of Medicine at University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles. From there, he was recruited as the Director of the Liver and Pancreas Cancer Center at the John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA; where he also served as Chair of the Cancer Committee, and Vice President for Fellowship education. Dr. Singh was recruited to City of Hope in 2010, where he was appointed Clinical Professor of Surgery, and Head of the Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery program. He was appointed as the new Chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology at City of Hope in 2011. He has an extensive referral base that reflects peer recognition of his clinical acumen and surgical expertise and is listed in “America’s Top Surgeons”, “Best Doctors of America” and “Top Doctors of America”.
As a skilled and accomplished surgeon, Dr. Singh has extensive experience in liver and pancreatic diseases and other gastrointestinal cancers. His clinical and research articles include complex resections for metastatic liver cancers, vascular reconstructions following difficult pancreatic surgery for pancreatic cancer, and advanced laparoscopic surgery. Currently, his group is working aggressively to standardize complex open surgical operations to be done using for minimally invasive techniques which encompasses robotic surgery.
In addition to a large clinical practice, Dr. Singh has a strong commitment to academic surgery and translational research. He is an exceptional mentor to surgeons training in the surgical oncology fellowship program and the junior faculty. Dr. Singh is actively developing leading-edge protocols for translational research. His clinical research has been presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Society of Surgical Oncology, International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association and several other prestigious meetings globally. His research interests include gene therapy strategies for cancer, developing targeted agents for Neuroendocrine tumors and early detection for pancreatic cancers. Dr. Singh is in constant pursuit of enhancing the surgical experience and developing technical innovations in liver and pancreatic surgery. He has been involved in collaborative work with engineering students from Caltech & Harvey Mudd College. He has filed several invention disclosures and patents. His work is very well published nationally and internationally with numerous publications in prestigious journals. Dr. Singh is a member of some of the top elite surgical societies and has served as invited speaker/chair at several national and international conferences.
- Vice Chair, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 2014 - present
- Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 2011 - present
- Head, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 2010- present
- Clinical Professor of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 2010 - present
- Interim Chair, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 2012 - 2014
- Director, Liver & Pancreas Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA, 2007 - 2010
- Associate Professor of Surgery (Clinical), University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 2007 - 2010
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 2002 - 2007
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Gallbladder Cancer
- Liver Tumors
- Pancreatic Cancer
Beca de investigación
- Clinical Fellow (Transplant) - University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
- Belfer Fellow (Research) - Marion Bessin Liver Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA
- Fellow (HPB/ Surg Onc) - Hôpital Cochin, René Descartes University, Paris, France
- Clinical Fellow (Surg Onc) - Tata Memorial Hospital & Cancer Center, University of Bombay, Bombay, India
- Research Fellow (Surg Onc) - Tata Memorial Hospital & Cancer Center, University of Bombay, Bombay, India
- General Surgery Residency in the USA - Chief Resident: Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA and Resident in Surgery: Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA
- Surgical Residency/ PG Training outside USA - Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK and Tata Memorial Hospital & Cancer Center, University of Bombay, India
- Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery - Board Certification in General Surgery, USA
- American Society of Transplant Surgery - Solid Organ Transplant Surgery Certification
- Diplome d’Etudes Approfondies: Masters in Surgical Sciences (Surgical Oncology), Hôpital Cochin, René Descartes University, Paris, France (1993)
- Master of Surgery: Board Certification in General Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital and Cancer Centre, University of Bombay, India (1989)
- Medical School Graduation (MBBS), Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Nagpur University, India (1985)