Arya Amini, M.D.
- Radiation Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Skin Cancers
- Lung Cancers
- Breast Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
Other Languages Spoken
- Spanish and Farsi
Born and raised in Southern California, it is a true honor and privilege to take care of my fellow Californians. To be able to do this in one of the best cancer centers in the country has been one of the greatest opportunities in my life.”
Arya Amini, M.D., says his patients are “the strongest and bravest individuals I have ever met.”
The winner of multiple awards and author of over 70 publications, Dr. Amini specializes in all forms of radiation treatment and their associated, ever-more-sophisticated devices and instruments, including image-guided radiotherapy, brachytherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).
He is also a skilled researcher who scours databases to learn more about treatment patterns nationwide, evaluate outcomes with combined modality therapy, as well as uncover areas where disparities exist.
Dr. Amini received his medical degree from University of California, Irvine and continued his training with an internship at UC Irvine and residency at University of Colorado.
A firm believer in the collaborative, multidisciplinary model of medicine, Dr. Amini is thrilled to be working at City of Hope, surrounded by “great colleagues in surgical oncology, medical oncology, radiology, pathology and supportive care.”
- 2017 - present, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012, Doctor of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA
- 2007, Bachelor of Arts, Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- 2013 – 2017, Radiation Oncology Chief Resident (PGY-5), University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO
- 2012 – 2013, Preliminary Internal Medicine Internship, University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA
- Amini A, Jones BL, Stumpf P, Leong S, Lieu CH, Weekes C, Davis SL, Messersmith WA, Purcell WT, Schefter T, Goodman KA. Patterns of care for locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma using the National Cancer Data Base. Pancreas. 2017 Aug; 46 (7): 904-912.
- Stokes WA, Amini A, Jones BL, McDermott JD, Raben D, Ghosh D, Goddard JA, Bowles DW, Karam SD. Survival impact of induction chemotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer: A National Cancer Database analysis. Head Neck. 2016 Jun; 39 (6): 1113-1121.
- Amini A, Waxweiler TV, Brower JV, Jones BL, McDermott JD, Raben D, Ghosh D, Bowles DW, Karam SD. Survival Outcomes of Adjuvant Concurrent Chemoradiation Versus Radiation Alone in Resected Major Salivary Gland Tumors Using the National Cancer Data Base. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 Nov; 142(11): 1100-1110.
- Amini A, Raben D, Crawford ED, Flaig TW, Kessler ER, Lam ET, Maroni P, Pugh TJ. Patient Characterization and Utilization Trends of Proton Beam Therapy for Localized Prostate Cancer in the United States: A Study of the National Cancer Database. Urol Oncol. 2017 Jun; 35 (6): 438-446.
- Amini A, Jones BL, Ghosh D, Schefter TE, Goodman KA. Impact of facility volume on outcomes in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal: Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Cancer. 2017 Jan; 123(2): 228-236.
- Magnuson WJ, Lester-Coll NH, Wu AJ, Yang TJ, Lockney NA, Gerber NK, Beal K, Amini A, Patil T, Kavanagh BD, Camidge DR, Braunstein SE, Boreta LC, Balasubramanian SK, Ahluwalia MS, Rana NG, Attia A, Getting SN, Contessa JN, Ye JB, Chiang VL. Management of Brain Metastases in TKI-naïve EGFR-mutant NSCLC: A Retrospective Multi-Institutional Analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Apr 1; 35 (10): 1070-1077.
- Robin TP, Amini A, Schefter T, Behbakht K, Fisher CM. Disparities in Standard of Care Treatment and Associated Survival Decrement in Patients with Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2016 Nov; 143 (2): 319-325.
- Khalifa J, Amini A, Popat S, Gaspar LE, Faivre-Finn C; IASLC Advanced Radiation Technology Committee. Brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer: radiation therapy in the era of targeted therapies. J Thorac Oncol. 2016 Oct; 11(10): 1627-43.
- Brower JV, Amini A, Chen S, Hullett CR, Kimple RJ, Bassetti M, Witek ME, Yu M, Baschnagel AM. Dose escalated radiotherapy is associated with improved survival in patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer: Analysis of the National Cancer Database. Ann Oncol. 2016 Oct; 27(10): 1887-94.
- Amini A, Yeh N, Jones B, Bedrick E, Vinogradskiy Y, Rusthoven CG, Amini A, Purcell WT, Karam SD, Kavanagh BD, Fisher CM. Perioperative mortality in nonelderly adult patients with cancer in the pre-Affordable Care Act era: a population-based study evaluating healthcare disparities in the United States according to insurance status. Am J Clin Oncol. 2016 Jun 8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Amini A, Jones BL, Yeh N, Guntupalli SR, Kavanagh BD, Karam SD, Fisher CM. Disparities in disease presentation in the four screenable cancers according to health insurance status. Public Health. 2016 Apr 15. Pii: S0033-3506(16)00105-0.
- Amini A, Jones BL, McDermott JD, Serracino HS, Jimeno A, Raben D, Ghosh D, Bowles DW, Karam SD. Survival outcomes with concurrent chemoradiation for locally advanced elderly head and neck cancer patients using the National Cancer Data Base. Cancer. 2016 May 15; 122(10):1533-43.
- Amini A, Jasem J, Jones BL, Robin, TP, McDermott JD, Jimeno BL, Jimeno A, Bowles DW, Karam SD. Predictors of overall survival in human papillomavirus-associated oropharyngeal cancer using the National Cancer Data Base. Oral Oncology. 2016 May;56:1-7.
- Jagar J, Amini A, Rabinovitch R, Borges VF, Elias A, Fisher C, Kabos P. 21-Gene recurrence score (RS) assay as a predictor of adjuvant chemotherapy administration for early breast cancer: an analysis of use, therapeutic implications, and disparity profile. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Jun 10;34(17):1995-2002.
- Amini A, Altoos B, Bourlon MT, Bedrick E, Bhatia S, Kessler ER, Flaig TW, Fisher CM, Kavanagh B, Lam ET, Karam SD. Local control rates of metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC) to the bone using stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT): is RCC truly radioresistant? Practical Radiation Oncology. 2015 Nov-Dec;5(6):e589-96.