Brian Tiep, M.D.
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Areas of Expertise
- Respiratory Diseases
One of the foremost experts on lung disease, Brian Tiep, M.D., brings nearly a half-century of experience to City of Hope, where he serves as our director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program and Smoking Cessation programs. He is a nonstop evangelist on quitting smoking, even taking to Twitter to spread the word. He is also highly skeptical of e-cigarettes and the manufacturers' claims that the product is safe.
Dr. Tiep received his medical degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. In addition to his work at City of Hope, Dr. Tiep is program designer and medical director of the Respiratory Disease Management Institute in Pomona and Monrovia, California.
He is also an inventor who wrote the first textbook on oxygen therapy, received several patents for devices to detect lung disorders and designed several oxygen delivery devices.
- 2006 - present, Staff Physician, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine
- Director, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, Director, Smoking Cessation Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002 - present, Program Designer and Medical Director, Respiratory Disease Management Institute, Pomona and Irwindale, CA
- 1986 - present, Independent Biomedical Equipment and Methods Designer, Tiep and Associates, Monrovia, CA
- 1986 - 1996, Medical Director, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Casa Colina Hospital for Rehabilitative Medicine, Pomona, CA
- 1972 - 1986, Staff Physician, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1971, Medicine Residency, Veterans Administration Hospital, Sepulveda, CA
- 1969 - 1971, Assistant Professor, Technical Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Program Director and Founder, Prescott College, Prescott, AZ
- 1966 - 1967, Mixed Internship (Medicine/Pediatrics), Meharry and St. Thomas Hospital, Nashville TN
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Lung Cancer and Thoracic
- Thyroid Cancer
- 1962 - 1966, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN, M.D.
- 1960 - 1962, University of California Berkeley, Master's Degree
- 1959 - 1960, University of Oregon, Eugene, Bachelor's Degree
Giving up cigarettes a huge challenge, even for lung cancer patients
November 15, 2018
Vaping Among Teens Linked to Increased Cigarette Use
November 25, 2016
How City of Hope helped one longtime smoker finally quit smoking
November 17, 2016
- American College of Chest Physicians
- California Thoracic SocietyAmerican Thoracic Society
- American Lung Association
- European Society for Respiratory Medicine
- Biofeedback Society of California
- International Association for Respiratory Care
- New York Academy of ScienceClaude Bernard Club
- American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- California Society of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- California Society for Pulmonary Research
- Pulmonary Education and Research Foundation - Board