Brian Tiep, M.D.
- Director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Lung Cancer and Thoracic Program
- Staff Physician, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medical Specialties
Brian Tiep, M.D.
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Areas of Expertise
- Respiratory Diseases
One of the foremost experts on lung disease, Brian Tiep, M.D., brings nearly a half-century of experience to City of Hope, where he serves as our Director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Smoking Cessation. He is a non-stop evangelist on quitting smoking, even taking to Twitter to spread the word. He is also highly skeptical of e-cigarettes and the manufacturers' claims that the product is safe.
Dr. Tiep received his medical degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, TN. In addition to his work at City of Hope, Dr. Tiep is program designer and medical director of the Respiratory Disease Management Institute in Pomona and Monrovia, CA.
He is also an inventor who wrote the first textbook on oxygen therapy, received several patents for devices to detect lung disorders, and designed several oxygen delivery devices.
- 2006 - present, Staff Physician, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medical Specialties
- Director of Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Lung Cancer and Thoracic Oncology Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002 - present, Program Designer and Medical Director, Respiratory Disease Management Institute, Pomona and Irwindale, CA
- 1986 - present, Independent Biomedical Equipment and Methods Designer, Tiep and Associates, Monrovia, CA
- 1986 - 1996, Medical Director, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Casa Colina Hospital for Rehabilitative Medicine, Pomona, CA
- 1972 - 1986, Staff Physician, Pulmonary Rehabilitation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1971, Medicine Residency, Veterans Administration Hospital, Sepulveda, CA
- 1969 - 1971, Assistant Professor, Technical Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Program Director and Founder, Prescott College, Prescott, AZ
- 1966 - 1967, Mixed Internship (Medicine/Pediatrics), Meharry and St. Thomas Hospital, Nashville TN
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Lung Cancer and Thoracic
- Thyroid Cancer
- 1962 - 1966, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN, M.D.
- 1960 - 1962, University of California at Berkeley, Master's Degree
- 1959 - 1960, University of Oregon, Eugene, Bachelor's Degree
Vaping Among Teens Linked to Increased Cigarette Use
November 25, 2016
How City of Hope helped one longtime smoker finally quit smoking
November 17, 2016
E-cigarettes could face stiffer regulation. Good thing, says expert
February 04, 2015
Thinking about e-cigs for the Great American Smokeout? Think again
November 19, 2014
To stop smoking, consider a drug – and a patch
July 08, 2014
Great American Smokeout: Kicking the habit is easier than ever
November 14, 2012
- American College of Chest Physicians
- California Thoracic SocietyAmerican Thoracic Society
- American Lung Association
- European Society for Respiratory Medicine
- Biofeedback Society of California
- International Association for Respiratory Care
- New York Academy of ScienceClaude Bernard Club
- American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- California Society of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- California Society for Pulmonary Research
- Pulmonary Education and Research Foundation - Board