Dortha Chu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.S.
- Breast Oncology
- Breast Surgery
Dortha Chu, M.D., Ph.D., specializes in breast cancer surgery and strongly advocates early and regular screenings for all women. She received her medical and doctoral degrees from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, and completed her general surgery training at University of California, San Diego.
A native of the Bay Area, Dr. Chu joins City of Hope after eight years at Mercy Merced Community Hospital in Merced, California, where she was chair of the Department of Surgery.
As a child of immigrants, Dr. Chu recalls how difficult it was for her parents to access proper health care because of language and cultural barriers. As a physician, she’s witnessed similar challenges among the disadvantaged. She is committed to “ensuring that all patients are given the same up-to-date and comprehensive care regardless of their race, gender, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or economic status.“
- 2002, M.D., Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- 2007-2008, Pediatric Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
- 2002-2007, General Surgery University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- 2002-2007, General Surgery, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Scalzo, AA, Brown, MG, Chu, DT, Heusel, JT, Yokoyama, WM, Forbes, CA. Development of intra-natural killer complex (NKC) recombinant and congenic mouse strains for mapping and functional analysis of NK cell regulatory loci. Immunogenetics. 1999. 49: 238-241. !
- Wang, LL, Chu, DT, Dokun, AO, Yokoyama, WM. Inducible expression of the gp49B inhibitory receptor on NK cells. Journal of Immunology. 2000. 164: 5215-5220. !
- Dokun, AO, Kim, SJ Smith, HRC, Kang, HS, Chu, DT, Yokoyama, WM. Specific and nonspecific NK cell activation during virus infection. Nature Immunology. 2001. 2(10): 951-956. !
- Dokun, AO, Chu, DT, Yang, L, Bendelac, AS, Yokoyama, WM. Analysis of in situ NK cell responses during viral infections. 2001. Journal of Immunology. 167: 5286-5293. !
- Loh, J, Chu, DT, O’Guin, AK, Yokoyama, WM, Virgin, HW 4th. Natural killer cells utilize both perforin and gamma interferon to regulate murine cytomegalovirus infection in the spleen and liver. 2005. Journal of Virology. 79(1): 661-667.
- American College of Surgeons - novitiate Fellow 2013
- Merced-Mariposa County Medical Society
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- The Leading Physicians of the World
- 2015, Member of The Leading Physicians of the World
- 2013, Fellowship in the American College of Surgeons
- 2002, Dr. Harvey Butcher Prize in Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine
- 1992, Departmental honors from both the English and the Molecular and Cell Biology Departments of the University of California, Berkeley
- 1988 – 1992, Regents’ Scholarship at University of California, Berkeley