Irina Chilian, M.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Specialties
Irina Chilian, M.D.
Irina Chilian, M.D., is an associate clinical professor in the department of medical specialties, specializing in neurology. Dr. Chilian joins City of Hope after being in private practice for 13 years, and serving as a consultant to us since 2012.
Dr. Chilian earned her undergraduate and graduate degrees with honors from Yerevan State Medical University in Armenia, where she also obtained her physician diploma. While in Armenia, she continued her education with an internship in internal medicine and military field surgery training, before serving as a staff internist at Razdan County Hospital. Dr. Chilian then immigrated to the United States, and pursued her postgraduate training beginning in 1996 with a clerkship in psychiatry at the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk, CA. She completed an externship in pediatrics at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA, where she also volunteered as an attending scientist in kidney transplant immunology. Dr. Chilian continued with an internship at Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, followed by a neurology residency at VA/UCLA. In 2002, Dr. Chilian completed a clinical neurophysiology fellowship from Univeristy of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine/VA Medical Center.
Certified by the American Boards of Sleep Medicine, Psychiatry and Neurology, Dr. Chilian holds memberships with several organizations including the Los Angeles Neurological Society, and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. While in Armenia, Dr. Chilian volunteered as a rescue team doctor for earthquake relief in Leninakan and as a team doctor for the Himalayan Alpine Team of Yerevan State Polytechnic Institute.
She is fluent in English, Russian and Armenian. While consulting with us and providing coverage for our neurology service, Dr. Chilian was appreciated for her clinical expertise, strong patient relationships, and work ethic.
- 2015 to present, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Specialties
- 2002-2015, Neurology, Private Practice
- 1996-1997 Attending Scientist Transplant Immunology,Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 1986-1989, Staff Internist Razdan County Hospital, Armenia
- 1979-1985 - Yervan State Medical University, Armenia, M.D.
- 2001-2002 - Neurophysiology Fellowship, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine/VA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 1998-2001 Neurology Residency Training, VA/University of California Los Angeles
- 1997-1998 - Internship, Transitional Year Residency Program Chestnut Hill Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 1997 - Externship in Pediatrics, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2015, Recertification, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2011, American Board of Sleep Medicine
- 2005, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
A.D. Escueta, M. Tanaka, B. Dongsheng, G. Cadena, I. Chilian. Mapping and Positional Cloning of Childhood Abscence Epilepsy Evolving to Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy -Epilepsy Research Center, West LA VA Medical Center. 1998
D. I. Rosenthal, M. Machtay, J.H. Lee, I. Chilian, A. Chalian, G. S. W Weinstein, R. Weber. ”The Treatment ‘Package’ Time for Surgery and Post-Operative Radiation Predicts Local-Regional Control for Head and Neck Squamous Carcinomas” -Department of Radiation Oncology and Otolaryngology, University of Pennsylvania, PA. 1998
M. Toyoda, A. Petrosian, I. Chilian, X-J Juo, H.K. Yap, S-G Ang, Y-H Lai, S.C. Jordan. ”Effects of Hydrophobic Extracts from a Chinese Herbal Preparation (CMX-13) on Human T-Cell Proliferation and Cytokine mRNA Levels in Vitro” -Steven Spielberg Pediatric Research Center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, LA, CA, Dept. of Pediatrics, National University of Singapore. 1997