Jana Portnow, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
Areas of Expertise
- Neurologic Oncology
Jana Portnow, M.D., is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research.
Dr. Portnow earned her undergraduate degree at Brown University and her medical degree from University of Rochester School of Medicine. She completed her internal medicine residency at Temple University Hospital, where she was chosen to do an additional year of teaching and administration as a chief resident. She then completed fellowships in oncology and neuro-oncology at Johns Hopkins Medical Center before joining the faculty at City of Hope in 2002.
She is associate director of City of Hope's Brain Tumor Program and clinical leader of the neural stem cell brain tumor research program. Nationally, she serves as vice-chairperson of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines Panel for CNS Cancers, and she reviews grant applications as a member of the National Institute of Health (NIH) Clinical Oncology Study Section.
Her research interests include early drug development, with an emphasis on understanding if new chemotherapies can cross the blood-brain barrier and achieve sufficient concentrations in the brain. She has expertise in performing early phase clinical trials of cellular therapies and is currently the principal investigator of a first-in-human study of genetically modified neural stem cells in patients with recurrent high grade gliomas, as well as a first-in-human study of CAR T cells for the treatment of brain metastases.
Dr. Portnow has numerous peer-reviewed publications and has received research funding from the NIH/National Cancer Institute, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, California Institute of Regenerative Medicine and Phase One Foundation.
- 2002 - present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2002 - present, Associate Director, Brain Tumor Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2010 - present, Member, City of Hope Physician Well-being Committee
- 2004 - present, Member, City of Hope Patient Rights and Organizational Ethics Committee
- 2010 - 2012 - Chair, City of Hope Data and Safety Monitoring Board
- 2010 - 2012, Member, Clinical Research Governance Board
- 2008 - 2010 Associate Chair, City of Hope Data & Safety Monitoring Committee
- 1994 - M.D.,University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- 1989 - B.A., Psychology, Brown University, Providence, RI
- 1999 -2002, Medical Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1998 -1999, Neuro-Oncology Fellow, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- 1997 -1998, Chief Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 1994 -1997, Resident, Internal Medicine, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- 2012, 2001 Medical Oncology
- 2002, State of California
- 1997, Internal Medicine
First-of-its-kind CAR T clinical trial enrolls HER2+ breast cancer patients with brain metastases
October 30, 2018
Groundbreaking new CAR T cell trial opens for patients with breast cancer that has spread to the brain
October 30, 2018
CIRM Awards City of Hope Researchers $3.7 million to Develop Glioblastoma Clinical Trial
September 28, 2018
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
Bioactivity and Safety of IL13Rα2-Redirected Chimeric Antigen Receptor CD8+ T Cells in Patients with Recurrent Glioblastoma.
Brown CE, Badie B, Barish ME, Weng L, Ostberg JR, Chang WC, Naranjo A, Starr R, Wagner J, Wright C, Zhai Y, Bading JR, Ressler JA, Portnow J, D'Apuzzo M, Forman SJ, Jensen MC.
Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Sep 15;21(18):4062-72. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-0428. Epub 2015 Jun 9.
Nabors LB, Portnow J, Ammirati M, Baehring J, Brem H, Brown P, Butowski N, Chamberlain MC, Fenstermaker RA, Friedman A, Gilbert MR, Hattangadi-Gluth J, Holdhoff M, Junck L, Kaley T, Lawson R, Loeffler JS, Lovely MP, Moots PL, Mrugala MM, Newton HB, Parney I, Raizer JJ, Recht L, Shonka N, Shrieve DC, Sills AK Jr, Swinnen LJ, Tran D, Tran N, Vrionis FD, Weiss S, Wen PY, McMillian N, Engh AM.
J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2015 Oct;13(10):1191-202.
Muñoz C, Juarez G, Muñoz ML, Portnow J, Fineman I, Badie B, Mamelak A, Ferrell B.
Soc Work Health Care. 2008;47(4):455-78. doi: 10.1080/00981380802232396.
Nabors LB, Portnow J, Ammirati M, Brem H, Brown P, Butowski N, Chamberlain MC, DeAngelis LM, Fenstermaker RA, Friedman A, Gilbert MR, Hattangadi-Gluth J, Hesser D, Holdhoff M, Junck L, Lawson R, Loeffler JS, Moots PL, Mrugala MM, Newton HB, Raizer JJ, Recht L, Shonka N, Shrieve DC, Sills AK Jr, Swinnen LJ, Tran D, Tran N, Vrionis FD, Wen PY, McMillian NR, Ho M.
J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014 Nov;12(11):1517-23.
Nabors LB, Ammirati M, Bierman PJ, Brem H, Butowski N, Chamberlain MC, DeAngelis LM, Fenstermaker RA, Friedman A, Gilbert MR, Hesser D, Holdhoff M, Junck L, Lawson R, Loeffler JS, Maor MH, Moots PL, Morrison T, Mrugala MM, Newton HB, Portnow J, Raizer JJ, Recht L, Shrieve DC, Sills AK Jr, Tran D, Tran N, Vrionis FD, Wen PY, McMillian N, Ho M; National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2013 Sep 1;11(9):1114-51.
Brown CE, Alizadeh D, Starr R, Weng L, Wagner JR, Naranjo A, Ostberg JR, Blanchard MS, Kilpatrick J, Simpson J, Kurien A, Priceman SJ, Wang X, Harshbarger TL, D'Apuzzo M, Ressler JA, Jensen MC, Barish ME, Chen M, Portnow J, Forman SJ, Badie B.
N Engl J Med. 2016 Dec 29;375(26):2561-9. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1610497.
A cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitor compared with dexamethasone in a survival study of rats with intracerebral 9L gliosarcomas.
Portnow J, Suleman S, Grossman SA, Eller S, Carson K.
Neuro Oncol. 2002 Jan;4(1):22-5.
Microdialysis for assessing intratumoral drug disposition in brain cancers: a tool for rational drug development.
Blakeley J, Portnow J.
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2010 Dec;6(12):1477-91. doi: 10.1517/17425255.2010.523420. Epub 2010 Oct 23. Review.PMID: 20969450
- 2000 - Present Member, Society for Neuro-Oncology
- 1999 - Present Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 1991 - 1992 President, Women in Medicine Taskforce, University of Rochester, American Medical Student Association