Jaspreet S. Parihar , M.D.
- Urologic Oncology
“I am passionate about providing the best care for my patients.”
City of Hope's “culture of kindness and compassion” attracted Jaspreet Parihar, M.D., as he searched for a place to make a meaningful difference in people's lives. Dr. Parihar specializes in urology and urologic oncology and sees patients at our Antelope Valley and Santa Clarita practices.
Dr. Parihar received his medical degree from Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia. He completed his internship and residency at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick, NJ and came to City of Hope to complete his fellowship in urology oncology/robotics.
Dr. Parihar has done extensive research and clinical work in the fields of urology and robotic surgery. He is certified on the Da Vinci surgical systems and has published numerous book chapter and research articles on the topic. He believes in utilizing the latest technology and minimally-invasive techniques to achieve the best results for his patients.
- 2016-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology, Dept. of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, California
- 2009, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Doctor of Medicine
- 2004, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Science, Biology, summa cum laude
- 2015-2016, Urology Oncology/Robotics, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011-2015, Urology, Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- 2009-2011, General Surgery, Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Oncologic outcomes in men with metastasis to the prostatic anterior fat pad lymph nodes: a multi-institution international study. Kwon YS, Ha YS, Modi PK, Salmasi A, Parihar JS, Patel N, Faiena I, May M, Lee DI, Llukani E, Patrick T, Rha KH, Ahlering T, Skarecky D, Ahn H, Choi SK, Park S, Jeon SS, Ou YC, Eun D, Manucha V, Albala D, Badani K, Yuh B, Ruel N, Kim TH, Kwon TG, Marchalik D, Hwang J, Kim WJ, Kim IY. BMC Urol. 2015 Aug 1;15:79.
- Regional Cost Variations of Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Open Radical Prostatectomy. Faiena I, Dombrovskiy VY, Modi PK, Patel N, Patel R, Salmasi AH, Parihar JS, Singer EA, Kim IY. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Oct;13(5):447-52.
Does Patient Age Influence Health Related Quality of Life After Sacral Neuromodulation? Jaspreet Singh Parihar. Tyler Lu, Young Suk Kwon, Bianca Chendrimada, Kimberly Marquez, Desiree Escobar, Hari Tunuguntla.
- Podium Presentation. American Urologic Association (AUA) Annual Meeting, New Orleans 2014.
- Tumor Enucleation of Renal Cell Carcinoma in a Solitary Kidney. Farber NJ, Faiena I, Parihar JS and Singer EA. Austin J Surg. 2015;2(3): 1059.
- Urodynamics in Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Review article. Hari Tunuguntla and Jaspreet Parihar. Current Bladder Dysfunction Reports 10.2 (2015): 125-131
- Safety of Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy with Pneumoperitoneum of 20mmHg: a study of 751 patients. Modi, Parth K., Young Suk Kwon, Neal Patel, Michael Dinizo, Nicholas Farber, Philip Zhao, Amirali Salmasi, Jaspreet Singh Parihar, Steven Ginsberg, Yun-Sok Ha, Isaac Yi Kim. Journal of Endourology April, 2015).
- Pathologic findings in patients who underwent robot-assisted radical prostatectomy following active surveillance: a prospective study in a single center. Y.S. Ha, J. Yu, N. Patel, A. Hassanzadeh Salmasi, J. Parihar, T.G. Kwon, W.-J. Kim, I. Y. Kim. Minerva Urol Nephrology. 2015; 67:1-9.
- Novel Cystine Ester Mimics for the Treatment of Cystinuria-induced Urolithiasis in a Knockout Mouse Model. Sahota A, Parihar JS, Capaccione KM, Yang M, Noll K, Gordon D, Reimer D, Yang I, Buckley BT, Polunas M, Reuhl KR, Lewis MR, Ward MD, Goldfarb DS, Tischfield JA. Urology. 2014 Nov; 84(5):1249.e9-1249.e15.
- Role of chemokines in renal cell carcinoma. Parihar JS, Tunuguntla HS. Reviews in Urology. 2014;16(3):118-21. Review article.
Favorable risk factors in patients with positive surgical margin after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. Ha YS, Kang DI, Kim JH, Joung JY, Yu J, Parihar JS, Salmasi AH, Horie S, Kim WJ, Yi Kim I. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2014 Jun;21(3):7290-7.
- Moderated poster session. World Congress of Endourology & ESWL. New Orleans. October 2013.
- Prostate-specific antigen density toward a better cutoff to identify better candidates for active surveillance. Ha YS, Yu J, Salmasi AH, Patel N, Parihar J, Singer EA, Kim JH, Kwon TG, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Urology. 2014 Aug;84(2):365-71.
- Concern for overtreatment using the AUA/ASTRO guideline on adjuvant radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy. Kang JH, Ha YS, Kim S, Yu J, Patel N, Parihar JS, Salmasi AH, Kim WJ, Kim IY. BMC Urology. 2014 Apr 7;14:30.
Bladder neck contracture-incidence and management following contemporary robot assisted radical prostatectomy technique. Parihar JS, Ha YS, Kim IY. Prostate International. 2014 Mar;2(1):12-8.
- Also presented as a Moderated Poster. World Congress of Endourology & ESWL. New Orleans. October 2013.
- Active surveillance in men with low-risk prostate cancer: current and future challenges. Han CS, Parihar JS, Kim IY. Am J Clin Exp Urol. 2013 Dec 25;1(1):72-82. Review article
Evaluation of computed tomography in vivo to assess the therapeutic potential of cystine analogs as inhibitors of cystine stone formation in Slc3a1 knockout mice. Sahota, A. Parihar, J., Yang, M, Noll, K., Adler, W., Gordon, D., Tischfield, J.A.
- Moderated poster session. American Society of Human Genetics – Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. October 2013.
Assessment of cystine stone growth in vivo in a mouse model of cystinuria. Sahota, A., Parihar, J., Yang, M., Capaccione, K., Adler, D., Kim, W., Gordon, D., Goldfarb, D.S., Tischfield, J.A.
- Moderated poster session. American Society of Nephrology – Annual Meeting. Atlanta. Nov 2013.
Partial Nephrectomy: Trends in Laparoscopy and Robotic Assisted DaVinci surgery. Parihar, J. Karellas, M. Cancer Pharmacology and Preclinical Therapeutics & Clinical Investigations.
- 2013 Annual Retreat on Cancer Research in New Jersey. Cancer Institute of New Jersey & Rutgers University. May 2013.
Robotic-assisted vs. Laparoscopic vs. Open Partial Nephrectomy: Utilization & Cost Analysis. Parihar, J. Su, D. Dombrovskiy, V. Jang, T, Karellas, M..
- Moderated poster session. American Urologic Association (AUA) Annual Meeting. San Diego. May 2013.
- Parihar, J., Sahota, A., Yang, M. Evaluation of CT imaging to assess the efficacy of cystine analogs in mice with cystinuria. Ferdinand C. Valentine Urology Medal & Resident Essay Meeting, New York Academy of Medicine and the N.Y. Section, AUA, NY. April 2013.
- Parihar, J., Marmar, J. A protocol to improve compliance for the post vasectomy semen analysis (PVSA) with a scheduled office visit and a wet prep. Resident Essay Competition. ”Top Five Presentations Award”. Philadelphia Urologic Society. April, 2012.
- Parihar, J., Ranganathan, M., Stolz, JF., Department of Biological Sciences, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. July 2004. The Role of Periplasmic Nitrate Reductase in Dissimilatory Nitrate Reduction and Cancer. Research Symposium, 2004. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Insufflators and The Pneumoperitoneum. Jaspreet Singh Parihar and Sammy E. Elsamra. Atlas of Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery 3rd edition. Book publication in process.
- Second Line Hormonal Therapy for Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Jaspreet Singh Parihar and Isaac Yi Kim. Prostate Cancer 2nd Edition. Book publication in process
- Multiple Sclerosis. Jaspreet S. Parihar, Hari Tunuguntla, Line Leboeuf, and Angelo E. Gousse. Textbook of the Neurogenic Bladder. Informa Healthcare. Book publication in process.
- Jaspreet Parihar, Ephrem Olweny. Peripelvic Cysts causing UPJ obstruction: Pearls in diagnosis and surgical repair. Video Abstract. AUA Annual Meeting 2015.
- Jaspreet Parihar, Kathleen Capaccione, Min Yang, Derek Adler, Derek Gordon, Joseph Barone, David Goldfarb, Jay Tischfield, Amrik Sahota. Assessment of pharmacologic intervention on cystine stone growth using in vivo imaging in a mouse model of cystinuria. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Jaspreet Parihar, Christopher Han, Srilakshmi Ponukumati, Tyler Lu, Hari Tunuguntla. Correlations of symptoms with urodynamic study findings in patients with diabetic bladder dysfunction. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Jaspreet Parihar, Guensley Delva, Srilakshmi Ponukumati, Hari Tunuguntla. Sacral Neuromodulation: Our Four Years Experience. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Daniel Bobo, Jaspreet Parihar, Isaac Kim. Comparison of Hand Assisted and Purely Laparoscopic Nephrectomies. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Parihar, J., Weiss, R. An alternative approach to traditional hilar clamping devices using vessel loop technique during partial nephrectomy. NY Resident Essay Meeting. January 2012.
- Parihar, J., Rengar, R., Tunuguntla, H. Can Bipolar transurethral resection of prostate be performed in an ambulatory setting? AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- Parihar, J., Sultan, R., Weiss, R. Did a Kidney Stone Almost Stop the War in Vietnam? An Inside Look into President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Urological Disorders. AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- Patel, R., Parihar, J., Seftel, A., Ross, S. The incidence and outcomes of penetrating genitourinary trauma at Cooper University Hospital’s Level 1 trauma center, a ten-year experience study. AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- 2013-2014, Medical Staff Information Systems Advisory Committee member, University Medical Center of Princeton, NJ.
- 2012-2013, Graduate Medical Education Committee active member, Rutgers – RWJH.
- 2014-2015, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital OR Committee member.
- 2012-2014, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital Surgical Performance Improvement Committee member.
- 2013-2014, Environment of Care Committee member, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, NJ.
- Prostate Cancer Annual Screening Program. CINJ – Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
- DaVinci Surgical Systems Training XI and SI Certification. Intuitive Surgical. Dec 2014, July 2012.
- 2012, Simulation Training Basic Skills Course: Stress Urinary Incontinence & Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Ethicon Laboratories, Somerville, NJ.
- 2008-2009, President of Surgery Interest Group. Drexel University College of Medicine.
- 2002-2004, President & Founder of Duquesne Indian Student Association, Duquesne University.
- 2011-present, American Urology Association (AUA).
- American College of Surgeons Professional Association (ACSPA) member
- American Medical Association (AMA) member
- Golden Key International Honor Society member, Duquesne University
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society member, Duquesne University
- Tri-Beta National Biological Honor Society member, Duquesne, University
- 2014, Best In-service Urology Examination Award. Division of Urology, Rutgers – RWJH.
- 2012, Gallo Research Award, Cancer Institute of New Jersey. Rutgers – RWJH.
- 2012, Top 5 Presentation Award, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urologic Society.
- 2009, Intern Olympics competition – 1st place award- Dept. of Surgery, Rutgers.
- 2006-2007, Gross Anatomy Medical Scholar. Drexel University College of Medicine.