Jaspreet S. Parihar, M.D.
- Urologic Oncology
I am passionate about providing the best care for my patients.”
City of Hope's “culture of kindness and compassion” attracted Jaspreet Parihar, M.D., as he searched for a place to make a meaningful difference in people's lives. Dr. Parihar specializes in urology and urologic oncology and sees patients at our Antelope Valley, Mission Hills and Santa Clarita locations.
Dr. Parihar received his medical degree from Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia. He completed his internship and residency at Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and came to City of Hope to complete his fellowship in urology oncology/robotics.
Dr. Parihar has done extensive research and clinical work in the fields of urology and robotic surgery. He is certified on the da Vinci surgical systems and has published numerous book chapter and research articles on the topic. He believes in utilizing the latest technology and minimally invasive techniques to achieve the best results for his patients.
- 2016-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Urology and Urologic Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Antelope Valley, Mission Hills and Santa Clarita, CA
- 2009, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, Doctor of Medicine
- 2004, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, Bachelor of Science, Biology, summa cum laude
- 2015-2016, Urology Oncology/Robotics, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011-2015, Urology, Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- 2009-2011, General Surgery, Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- Kwon YS, Ha YS, Modi PK, Salmasi A, Parihar JS, Patel N, Faiena I, May M, Lee DI, Llukani E, Patrick T, Rha KH, Ahlering T, Skarecky D, Ahn H, Choi SK, Park S, Jeon SS, Ou YC, Eun D, Manucha V, Albala D, Badani K, Yuh B, Ruel N, Kim TH, Kwon TG, Marchalik D, Hwang J, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Oncologic outcomes in men with metastasis to the prostatic anterior fat pad lymph nodes: a multi-institution international study. BMC Urol. 2015 Aug 1;15:79.
- Faiena I, Dombrovskiy VY, Modi PK, Patel N, Patel R, Salmasi AH, Parihar JS, Singer EA, Kim IY. Regional Cost Variations of Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Open Radical Prostatectomy. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Oct;13(5):447-52.
- Jaspreet Singh Parihar JS, Lu T, Kwon YS, Chendrimada B, Marquez K, Escobar D, Tunuguntla H. Does Patient Age Influence Health Related Quality of Life After Sacral Neuromodulation?
- Podium Presentation. American Urologic Association (AUA) Annual Meeting, New Orleans 2014.
- Farber NJ, Faiena I, Parihar JS, Singer EA. Tumor Enucleation of Renal Cell Carcinoma in a Solitary Kidney. Austin J Surg. 2015;2(3): 1059.
- Tunuguntla H, Parihar JS. Urodynamics in Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Review article. Current Bladder Dysfunction Reports 10.2 (2015): 125-131
- Parth KM, Kwon YS, Patel N, Dinizo M, Farber N, Zhao P, Salmasi A, Parihar JS, Ginsberg S, Ha Y-S, Kim IY. Safety of Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy with Pneumoperitoneum of 20mmHg: a study of 751 patients. Journal of Endourology April, 2015).
- Ha YS, Yu J, Patel N, Hassanzadeh Salmasi A, Parihar JS, Kwon TG, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Pathologic findings in patients who underwent robot-assisted radical prostatectomy following active surveillance: a prospective study in a single center. Minerva Urol Nephrology. 2015; 67:1-9.
- Sahota A, Parihar JS, Capaccione KM, Yang M, Noll K, Gordon D, Reimer D, Yang I, Buckley BT, Polunas M, Reuhl KR, Lewis MR, Ward MD, Goldfarb DS, Tischfield JA. Novel Cystine Ester Mimics for the Treatment of Cystinuria-induced Urolithiasis in a Knockout Mouse Model. Urology. 2014 Nov; 84(5):1249.e9-1249.e15.
- Parihar JS, Tunuguntla HS. Role of chemokines in renal cell carcinoma. Reviews in Urology. 2014;16(3):118-21. Review article.
- Ha YS, Kang DI, Kim JH, Joung JY, Yu J, Parihar JS, Salmasi AH, Horie S, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Favorable risk factors in patients with positive surgical margin after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. Canadian Journal of Urology. 2014 Jun;21(3):7290-7.
- Moderated poster session. World Congress of Endourology & ESWL. New Orleans. October 2013.
- Ha YS, Yu J, Salmasi AH, Patel N, Parihar J, Singer EA, Kim JH, Kwon TG, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Prostate-specific antigen density toward a better cutoff to identify better candidates for active surveillance. Urology. 2014 Aug;84(2):365-71.
- Kang JH, Ha YS, Kim S, Yu J, Patel N, Parihar JS, Salmasi AH, Kim WJ, Kim IY. Concern for overtreatment using the AUA/ASTRO guideline on adjuvant radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy. BMC Urology. 2014 Apr 7;14:30.
- Parihar JS, Ha YS, Kim IY. Bladder neck contracture-incidence and management following contemporary robot assisted radical prostatectomy technique.Prostate International. 2014 Mar;2(1):12-8.
- Also presented as a Moderated Poster. World Congress of Endourology & ESWL. New Orleans. October 2013.
- Han CS, Parihar JS, Kim IY. Active surveillance in men with low-risk prostate cancer: current and future challenges. Am J Clin Exp Urol. 2013 Dec 25;1(1):72-82. Review article
- Sahota A, Parihar J, Yang M, Noll K, Adler W, Gordon D, Tischfield JA. Evaluation of computed tomography in vivo to assess the therapeutic potential of cystine analogs as inhibitors of cystine stone formation in Slc3a1 knockout mice.
- Moderated poster session. American Society of Human Genetics – Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. October 2013.
- Sahota A, Parihar J., Yang M, Capaccione K, Adler D, Kim W, Gordon D, Goldfarb DS, Tischfield JA. Assessment of cystine stone growth in vivo in a mouse model of cystinuria.
- Moderated poster session. American Society of Nephrology – Annual Meeting. Atlanta. Nov 2013.
- Parihar J. Karellas M. Partial Nephrectomy: Trends in Laparoscopy and Robotic Assisted DaVinci surgery. Cancer Pharmacology and Preclinical Therapeutics & Clinical Investigations.
- 2013 Annual Retreat on Cancer Research in New Jersey. Cancer Institute of New Jersey & Rutgers University. May 2013.
- Parihar J, Su D, Dombrovskiy V, Jang T, Karellas M. Robotic-assisted vs. Laparoscopic vs. Open Partial Nephrectomy: Utilization & Cost Analysis. .
- Moderated poster session. American Urologic Association (AUA) Annual Meeting. San Diego. May 2013.
- Parihar J, Sahota A, Yang M. Evaluation of CT imaging to assess the efficacy of cystine analogs in mice with cystinuria. Ferdinand C. Valentine Urology Medal & Resident Essay Meeting, New York Academy of Medicine and the N.Y. Section, AUA, NY. April 2013.
- Parihar J., Marmar J. A protocol to improve compliance for the post vasectomy semen analysis (PVSA) with a scheduled office visit and a wet prep. Resident Essay Competition. ”Top Five Presentations Award”. Philadelphia Urologic Society. April, 2012.
- Parihar J, Ranganathan M, Stolz JF. Department of Biological Sciences, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. July 2004. The Role of Periplasmic Nitrate Reductase in Dissimilatory Nitrate Reduction and Cancer. Research Symposium, 2004. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Insufflators and The Pneumoperitoneum. Jaspreet Singh Parihar and Sammy E. Elsamra. Atlas of Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery 3rd edition. Book publication in process.
- Second Line Hormonal Therapy for Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Jaspreet Singh Parihar and Isaac Yi Kim. Prostate Cancer 2nd Edition. Book publication in process
- Multiple Sclerosis. Jaspreet S. Parihar, Hari Tunuguntla, Line Leboeuf and Angelo E. Gousse. Textbook of the Neurogenic Bladder. Informa Healthcare. Book publication in process.
- Parihar J, Olweny E. Peripelvic Cysts causing UPJ obstruction: Pearls in diagnosis and surgical repair. Video Abstract. AUA Annual Meeting 2015.
- Parihar J, Capaccione K, Yang M, Adler D, Gordon D, Barone J, Goldfarb D, Tischfield J, Sahota A. Assessment of pharmacologic intervention on cystine stone growth using in vivo imaging in a mouse model of cystinuria. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Parihar J, Han C, Ponukumati S, Lu T, Tunuguntla H. Correlations of symptoms with urodynamic study findings in patients with diabetic bladder dysfunction. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Parihar J, Delva G, Ponukumati S, Tunuguntla H. Sacral Neuromodulation: Our Four Years Experience. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Bobo D, Parihar J, Kim I. Comparison of Hand Assisted and Purely Laparoscopic Nephrectomies. AUA Annual Meeting 2014.
- Parihar J, Weiss R. An alternative approach to traditional hilar clamping devices using vessel loop technique during partial nephrectomy. NY Resident Essay Meeting. January 2012.
- Parihar J, Rengar R, Tunuguntla H. Can Bipolar transurethral resection of prostate be performed in an ambulatory setting? AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- Parihar J, Sultan R, Weiss R. Did a Kidney Stone Almost Stop the War in Vietnam? An Inside Look into President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Urological Disorders. AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- Patel R, Parihar J, Seftel A, Ross S. The incidence and outcomes of penetrating genitourinary trauma at Cooper University Hospital’s Level 1 trauma center, a ten-year experience study. AUA Annual Meeting 2013.
- 2013-2014, Medical Staff Information Systems Advisory Committee member, University Medical Center of Princeton, NJ.
- 2012-2013, Graduate Medical Education Committee active member, Rutgers – RWJH.
- 2014-2015, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital OR Committee member.
- 2012-2014, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital Surgical Performance Improvement Committee member
- 2013-2014, Environment of Care Committee member, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, NJ
- Prostate Cancer Annual Screening Program. CINJ – Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- DaVinci Surgical Systems Training XI and SI Certification. Intuitive Surgical. Dec 2014, July 2012
- 2012, Simulation Training Basic Skills Course: Stress Urinary Incontinence & Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Ethicon Laboratories, Somerville, NJ
- 2008-2009, President of Surgery Interest Group. Drexel University College of Medicine
- 2002-2004, President and Founder of Duquesne Indian Student Association, Duquesne University
- 2011-present, American Urology Association
- American College of Surgeons Professional Association member
- American Medical Association member
- Golden Key International Honor Society member, Duquesne University
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society member, Duquesne University
- Tri-Beta National Biological Honor Society member, Duquesne, University
- 2014, Best In-service Urology Examination Award. Division of Urology, Rutgers – RWJH
- 2012, Gallo Research Award, Cancer Institute of New Jersey. Rutgers – RWJH
- 2012, Top 5 Presentation Award, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urologic Society
- 2009, Intern Olympics competition – 1st place award - Dept. of Surgery, Rutgers
- 2006-2007, Gross Anatomy Medical Scholar. Drexel University College of Medicine