Laura Kruper, M.D., M.S.
- Surgical Oncology
- Breast Surgery
- Breast-Conserving Surgery
- Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer
“Every patient has a unique story. My goal is to provide every breast cancer patient with several treatment options, based on their stage of disease, individual personal values, and family history.”
Laura L. Kruper, M.D., M.S., led a major study which discovered that seven out of 10 women who get mastectomies to treat breast cancer do not undergo reconstructive surgery. She wants to change that, especially after hearing from her minority and lower-income patients who were denied the option at other hospitals.
“One of my goals is to make things a little more equal for everybody,” she said.
A graduate of University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Dr. Kruper has over 15 years' experience as a cancer surgeon. At City of Hope since 2008, she strives to optimize the treatment of breast cancer through clinical trials, getting the best available therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
A frequently sought-after medical expert for television news and talk shows, Dr. Kruper is passionate about improving breast cancer awareness and education.
- 2012 - Present, Director, Women's Center, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2008 - Present, Assistant Professor and Surgeon, Head of Breast Surgery Service, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1999, Teaching Assistant, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Physiology
- 1995 - 1996, Research Assistant, The Wistar Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 1995, Teaching Assistant, Bryn Mawr College, Department of Chemistry
- 1990 - 1993, Assistant Photo Editor, Condé Nast Traveler Magazine, New York, NY
- Breast Cancer
- Women's Cancers
- 2015 - Stanford Executive Program for Women Leaders, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 2005 - University of Pennsylvania, Center for Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Philadelphia, PA, M.S., Health Services and Outcomes Research
- 2000 - University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, M.D.
- 1989 - Brown University, Providence, RI, B.A., Egyptology, Magna Cum Laude
- 2007 -2008, Breast Oncology Fellow, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA
- 2001 -2007, Surgical Resident, Hospital University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2000 -2001, Surgical Intern, Yale New Haven Hospital, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- 2008, California Fluoroscopy Operators Permit Certification
- 2008, American Board of Surgery Certification
- 2007, California Medical License
- 2004, DEA License
- 2001, Pennsylvania Medical License
- 2000, Connecticut Medical License
October 04, 2017
June 15, 2016
December 30, 2016
December 06, 2015
November 10, 2015
February 08, 2015
December 06, 2014
October 15, 2014
February 13, 2014
December 08, 2013
October 28, 2013
October 04, 2013
September 29, 2013
September 29, 2013
September 29, 2013
September 08, 2013
September 07, 2013
September 02, 2013
August 22, 2013
January 27, 2013
November 29, 2012
November 23, 2012
October 31, 2011
October 25, 2011
- Kruper L, Low DW, Bucky LP: Immediate Pectoralis Flap Closure Following Septic Arthritis of the Manubriosternal Joint. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;107(4):997-9
- Kruper L, Tchou J. The Breast. In: Kaiser LR, ed. The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott 2005.
- Kruper L, Sonnad SS. Statistics and Epidemiology. In: Kaiser LR, ed. The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott 2005
- Kruper L, Schuchter L. Malignant Melanoma and non-Melanoma Skin Cancer. In: Muss HB, Hunter CP, and Johnson KA, eds. Multidisciplinary Treatment and Management of Cancer in the Elderly. New York: Taylor & Francis Group 2006.
- Kruper L, Spitz F, Czerniecki BJ, Blackwood-Chirchir A, Elder DE, Fraker DL, Guerry D, Ming M, Schuchter LM. Gimotty PA. Predicting sentinel node status in clinical stage I/II melanoma. Cancer, 2006; 107(10):2436-45.
- Kruper L, Kurichi JE, Sonnad SS. Methodological quality of cost-effectiveness analyses of surgical procedures. Annals of Surgery, 2007; 245(1):147-151.
- Kruper L, Giuliano AE. A randomized clinical trial on sentinel lymph node biopsy versus axillary dissection: A matter of technique. Annals of Surgery, 2008; 247(2):214-216.
- Kruper L, Giuliano AE. Preoperative identification of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, 2008; 19(3): 238-9.
- Kruper L, Giuliano AE. Breast disease. In Practical Gynecologic Oncology, ed. Berek JS, Hacker, NF. 5th edition. Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2009.
- Pal SK, Lau S, Kruper L, Nwoye U, Garberoglio C, Gupta RK, Paz IB, Vora L, Guzman E, Artinyan A, Somlo G. Papillary Carcinoma of the breast: An Overview. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 2010;122(3): 637-45.
- Kruper L, Holt A, Xu X, Duan L, Henderson K, Bernstein L, Ellenhorn J. Disparities in reconstruction rates after mastectomy: Patterns of care and factors associated with the use of breast reconstruction in Southern California. Ann Surg Oncol 2011;18:2158-65.
- Kounalakis N, Pezner R, Kruper L. Partial breast irradiation in a patient with bilateral breast cancers and CREST Syndrome. Brachytherapy, 2011;10:486-90.
- Wiatrek R, Kruper L. Sentinel lymph node biopsy indications and controversies in breast cancer. Maturitas, 2011;69:7-10.
- Kruper L, Xin Xin X, Henderson K, Bernstein L. Disparities in reconstruction rates after mastectomy for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): Patterns of care and factors associated with the use of breast reconstruction for DCIS as compared to invasive cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2011;18:3210-9.
Pal SK, Dehaven M, Nelson RA, Onami S, Waliany S, Hsu J, Kruper L, Mortimer J.
Impact of modern chemotherapy on the survival of women presenting with de novo metastatic breast cancer. BMC Cancer,2012;12:435.
- Oxner CR, Vora L, Yim J, Kruper L, Ellenhorn JDI. Magnetic resonance-guided breast biopsy in lesions not visualized by mammogram or ultrasound. Am Surg, 2012;78:1087-90.
- Kruper L, Henderson K, Xu X, Bernstein L, Chen S. Utilization of mastectomy and reconstruction in the outpatient setting. Ann of Surg Oncol, 2013;20:828-35.
- Priceman SJ, Kujawski M, Shen S, Cherryholmes GA, Lee H, Zhang C, Kruper L, Mortimer J, Jove R, Riggs AD, Yu H. Regulation of adipose tissue T cell subset by stat3 is crucial for diet-induced obesity ad insulin resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2013;110:13079-13084.
- Arrington A, Kruper L, Vito C, Yim JH, Kim J, Chen SL. Rural and urban disparities in the evolution of sentinel node utilization in breast cancer. Am J Surg 2013;206:674-81.
- Arrington A, Nelson R, Chen S, Vito C, Yim J, Kruper L. The Decision to Undergo Prophylactic Mastectomy and Subsequent Satisfaction: The patient perspective. Ann Surg Oncol. (Under Revision)
- Uyeno LA, Goldstein L, Chen SL, Yim JH, Kruper L. Hospital readmissions and post-operative complications following outpatient mastectomy. (Submitted)
- Arrington A, Goldstein L, Kruper L, Vito C, Yim JH, Chen SL. Life expectancy after curative-intent treatment of breast cancer: Impact on long-term follow-up care. Am J Surg 2014;80:604-9.
- Kruper L, Kauffmann R, Smith D, Nelson R. Survival analysis of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy: A question of selection bias? Ann Surg Oncol 2014;21:3448-56.
- Miller M, Ottesen R, Niland J, Kruper L, Chen S, Vito C. Lymph Node Ratio is a Prognostic Indicator of Overall Survival for Non-Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients after Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol 2014;21:3317-23. PMID: 25059788
- Mortimer J, Jung J, Yuan Y, Kruper L, Stewart D, Chung S, Yu KM, Mendelsohn M, D’Apuzzo M, Tegtmeier B, Dadwal S. Skin/Nail infections with the addition of pertuzumab to trastuzumab-based chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2014;148:563-70.
- Bitz C, Clark K, Vito C, Kruper L, Ituarte PHG, Loscalzo M. Partners’ Clinic: An innovative gender strengths-based intervention for breast cancer patients and their partners immediately prior to initiating care with their treating physician. Psycho-Oncology 2015;24:355-8.
- Schinde AM, Zhai J, Yu KW, Frankel P, Yim JH, Luu T, Kruper L, Vito C, Shaw S, Vora NL, Kirschenbaum M, Somlo G. Pathologic complete response rates in triple-negative, HER2-positive, and hormone receptor-positive breast cancers after anthracycline-free neoadjuvant chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab. Breast 2015;24:18-23.
- Kauffmann R, Bitz C, Clark K, Loscalzo M, Kruper L, Vito C. Addressing psychosocial needs of partners of breast cancer patients: a pilot program using social workers to improve communication and psychosocial support. Support Care Cancer 2015.
- Patel SK, Wong AL, Wong FL, Breen EC, Hurria A, Smith M, Kinjo C, Paz IB, Kruper L, Somlo G, Mortimer JE, Palomares MR, Irwin MR, Bhatia S. Inflammatory Biomarkers, Comorbidity, and Neurocognition in Women With Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2015;107:1-7.
- Merchant S, Goldstein L, Kruper L. Patterns and trends in immediate post-mastectomy reconstruction in California: Complications and unscheduled admissions. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015;136:10-19.
- Falor A, Kruper L. “Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia.” The SCORE Portal. http://www.surgicalcore.org. July 2015.
- Lee M, Reinertsen E, McClure E, Liu S, Kruper L, Tanna N, Brian Boyd J, Granzow JW. Surgeon motivations behind the timing of breast reconstruction in patients requiring postmastectomy radiation therapy. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015
- 2009, American College of Surgeons Oncology Group
- 2009, Southwestern Oncology Group
- 2009, American Society of Breast Surgeons
- 2009, American College of Surgeons, So. California Chapter
- 2007, Society of Surgical Oncology
- 2001, American College of Surgeons
- 2011-2015, Pasadena Top Doctors
- 2007, Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Fellow Travel Grant
- 2003-2005, National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award University of Pennsylvania Center for Clinical Epidemiology
- 2000, Alpha Omega Alpha University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1999, National Institutes of Health Cancer Grant
- 1997, National Institutes of Health Short Term Research Grant
- 1989, Brown Alumni Prize for Academic Excellence
- 1987, Dorot Archaeological Travel Grant