Massimo D'Apuzzo, M.D., Ph.D.
- Anatomic pathology
Areas of Expertise
- Brain tumors
- Defining developmental pathways mediating differentiation in brain tumors and identifying the mechanisms responsible for the migration of neural stem cells within a mature brain
- Cellular brain tumor therapies
Other Languages Spoken
Massimo D'Apuzzo, M.D., is the neuropathologist for City of Hope's Brain Tumor program. He is responsible for diagnosing the majority of brain and spinal cord cases at City of Hope.
Dr. D'Apuzzo earned his medical degree and a Ph.D. in immunology at the University of Bern, Switzerland. He completed further training at Cal Tech, Massachusetts General Hospital and Stanford University before joining City of Hope in 2007.
Dr. D'Apuzzo is focusing much of his current research on the relatively new field of Differentiation Therapy, which involves finding agents that will force cancer cells to revert to a more “normal” state of maturing and differentiating, thereby slowing the progress of the disease.
- 2007 - present, Neuropathologist and Anatomic Pathologist, Department of Pathology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012- Neuropathologist and Anatomic Pathologist, Hoag Hospital Newport Beach, CA
- 2004 - 2006, Neuropathology Fellow, Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA
- 2005 - 2006, Research Associate, Stem Cells, Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA
- 2002 - 2004, Anatomic Pathology Resident, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2001 - 2002, Gastrointestinal Pathology Research Fellow, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 1998 - 2001, Postdoctoral Scholar, Neuroscience, Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- 1994 - 1997, Graduate Research, Immunology, University of Bern, Switzerland
- 1997, University of Bern, Switzerland, Ph.D., Immunology
- 1993, University of Bern, Switzerland, M.D., Medicine
- 2006, Anatomic Pathology Board Certification
- 2007, Neuropathology Board Certification
- 2004, California Medical License
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.