Michelle Afkhami, M.D.
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- Molecular Pathology
Michelle Afkhami, M.D., joined City of Hope as an assistant clinical professor in the department of pathology, specializing in hematopathology and molecular pathology; she also serves as associate medical director of the Clinical Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory (CMDL)and is a member of the Toni Stephenson Lymphoma Center.
Dr. Afkhami received her medical doctorate from Fatemieh University of Medical Sciences in Iran. She went on to complete a first year residency in general surgery at University of Southern California (USC) and a second year at Huntington Memorial Hospital. She changed career paths and completed a second residency in anatomic and clinical pathology, followed by a fellowship in hematopathology, both at USC. Dr. Afkhami furthered her studies at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where she completed a fellowship in molecular and genomic pathology. She was appointed Associate Director of Response Genetics, Inc. where she supervised FISH and PCR testing.
Board certified in clinical pathology, anatomic pathology, and hematopathology, Dr. Afkhami has authored several publications. She is an active member of six professional associations including the Association of Molecular Pathology and the American Society of Hematology. Dr. Afkhami has been invited to present her work at several national and regional meetings.
- 2016-present, Medical Director, Clinical Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Pathology 2014-2016, Associate Medical Director, Clinical Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory
- 2014-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology
- 2004 - Fatemieh University of Medical Sciences, Iran, M.D.
- 2013 - 2014, Clinical Instructor/Fellow, Molecular & Genomic Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2012 - 2013, Fellow, Hematopathology, University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2008 - 2012, Resident, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Southern California/LAC+USC VAGLAHS Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2007 - 2008, Resident, General Surgery, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- 2006 - 2007, Resident, General Surgery, University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2013, American Board of Hematopathology
- 2012, American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology)
- 2012, American Board of Pathology (Clinical Pathology)
- Association of Molecular Pathology
- American Society of Hematology
- Association for Pathology Informatics
- Los Angeles Society of Pathologists
- College of American Pathologists
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- 2011, Third prize winner, Los Angeles Society of Pathologists, Annual Resident/Fellow Symposium
- 2008, Third prize winner, Annual Resident Research Competition, Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena CA