Purvi Patel, M.D., M.B.A.
- Palliative Medicine
Other Languages Spoken
I chose City of Hope because I wanted to work somewhere where I could see myself for 30 years.”
Purvi Patel has a medical degree, an M.B.A. and a double bachelor's — in psychology and biological sciences. She has expertise in regional and cultural health care differences. She'd be equally at home in a corporate boardroom, running a nonprofit or lecturing at a teaching hospital.
She came to City of Hope to do what she really wants.
“My career led me to hospice and palliative medicine because it's truly devastating when someone you love is ill, even worse when you're told, 'There's nothing more we can do.' In my area, no matter what patient or what diagnosis, there is always something more we can do.”
Patel received her M.D. from American University of Antigua, then completed her residency at Hofstra University in Glen Cove, New York, followed by a fellowship in hospice and palliative medicine at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
She praises City of Hope not only for its research and clinical strengths but also for its warmth; a place where everyone is made to feel “like part of the family.”
- 2016-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Supportive Care Medicine, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2008, Anatomy Dissector/Teaching Assistant, American University of Antigua – St. John’s, Antigua and Barbuda
- 2012, Doctor of Medicine, American University of Antigua, St. John’s, Antigua & Barbuda Cum laude
- 2012, Master of Business Administration, Plymouth State University, Plymouth, NH
- 2015-2016, Fellow, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- 2012-2015, Co-chief resident, Family Medicine, Hofstra University NSLIJ, Glen Cove, NY
With palliative physicians, treatment options never run out
February 18, 2019
Symptom managers: The critical role of palliative medicine
December 07, 2018
- Patel P. (2015). Should the male partners of females with HPV changes on cervical biopsy undergo HPV screening? Evidence-Based Practice (Family Physicians Inquiry Network), 18 (12), E1-2.
- Patel P and Rubinstein M. (2004). The effects of S-AMe on osteoarthritis of the knee. Poster presentation, UCI Undergraduate Research Journal Symposium; Irvine, CA.
- University California, Irvine Child Development Center; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in pre-school and school-aged children, 09/2002 – 08/2004