Raju K. Pillai, M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology
Raju K. Pillai, M.D.
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular Pathology
- Pathology Bioinformatics
- Molecular pathogenesis of lymphomas
- Use of next generation technologies in pathology
Raju K. Pillai, M.D., is an assistant clinical professor specializing in hematopathology, molecular pathology and pathology bioinformatics. He is also a member of the Toni Stephenson Lymphoma Center.
Prior to City of Hope, he was at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where he served as a hematopathologist / molecular pathologist and Medical Director, Pathology Bioinformatics. Dr. Pillai earned his medical degree and subsequent internship at the Calicut Medical College in Kozhikode, India followed by a residency in medical biochemistry at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. He pursued his research interests in immunology with a post-doctoral fellowship in transplantation immunology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Dr. Pillai then completed an additional residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at the University of Southern California, and subsequent dual fellowships in molecular genetic pathology and hematopathology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center before joining the faculty at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Dr. Pillai's research interests include molecular pathogenesis of lymphomas and the application of panomics technologies in diagnostic pathology. Triple board-certified in anatomic and clinical pathology, molecular genetic pathology and hematopathology, he is an active member of multiple professional associations, and has published more than 28 peer-reviewed publications, abstracts and book chapters.
- 2015 - Present, Assistant Clinical Professor and Hematopathologist, Department of Pathology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012 - 2014, Hematopathologist / Molecular Pathologist Medical Director, Pathology Bioinformatics Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 - 2012, Clinical Instructor in Hematopathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 1986-1992, Medical School (MBBS), Calicut Medical College, Kozhikode, India
- 2010-2011, Fellow in Hematopathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh
- 2009-2010, Fellow in Molecular Genetic Pathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh
- 1999-2005, Post-doctoral fellow in Transplantation Immunology, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles.
- 2005-2009, Resident in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- 1994-1997, Resident in Medical Biochemistry (M.D.), All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 1992-1993, Intern, Calicut Medical College, Kozhikode, India.
- 2009, Diplomate, American Board of Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- 2008, Licensure, Medical Board of California
- 2010, Licensure, State Board of Medicine, Pennsylvania
- 2011, Diplomate, American Board of Pathology, Molecular Genetic Pathology
- 2012, Diplomate, American Board of Pathology, Hematopathology
- 2007, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- 2007, College of American Pathology
- 2009, Association for Molecular Pathology
- 2011, Society for Hematopathology