Rhonda Foster, Ed.D., M.P.H., M.S., R.N.
- Interim Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing and Patient Care Services Officer
Rhonda Foster, Ed.D., M.P.H., M.S., R.N.
To contribute to an organization that gives individuals hope is exciting to me.”
Rhonda Foster is a gifted nurse and a visionary manager, motivator and leader. She has a three decades-long track record of improving every institution wise enough to employ her.
Raised in Toledo, Ohio, Rhonda began her career as a staff nurse but soon realized that management was her true passion. Within a few years she was Director of Nursing Quality and Education at Toledo's St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, where she dramatically revamped staff procedures, enabling the facility to receive accreditation by the independent Joint Commission.
As Chief Nursing Officer at Children's Hospital of Michigan, Rhonda's leadership helped earn Magnet Recognition status, which honors healthcare organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice. She also instituted a nursing residency program and implemented the hospital's first electronic records system.
Most recently, Rhonda served as CNO for St. Joseph Health, Sonoma County. She developed practices that cut emergency room waiting time, reduced the number of patient falls, and even kept everything running smoothly during 5 nursing strikes.
Through it all, Rhonda has always focused on the essence of nursing: The ability to care. “I’m not just an executive,” she says, “I’m still a nurse with a capacity to care. No matter what environment you’re in."
- 2016 - Present, Interim Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing and Patient Care Services Officer, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012 - 2013, Chief Nursing Officer, St. Joseph Health Sonoma County, Santa Rosa, CA
- 2004 - 2011, , Vice President, Patient Care Services/Chief Nursing OfficerChildren's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan
- 2004, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, Doctorate of Education
- 1999-2002, Northwest Ohio Consortium for Public Health, Bowling Green, OH, Master of Public Health, Major-Public Health Administration
- 1985-1986, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., Master of Science, Major- Nursing Administration in Health Services
- Hughes-Rease, M. & Foster, R.R. (IN PRESS). Leadership Blueprint for Nursing’s Future. In Gullatte, M. 21st Century Nursing Leadership. Oncology Nursing Society, Pittsburgh, PA
- Foster, R. R. (2015) Distinguishing the Difference Between Peer Review, Peer Evaluation, and Peer Feedback. ANA Nursing Knowledge Center Peer Review Tip
- Foster, R.R. (2015) How Many Leaders in an Organization Have to be Transformational? ANA Nursing Knowledge Center Leadership Tip
- Foster, R. R. (2014) Identifying real change leaders. Nursing Management, 45(8):52-54
- Hillman, L. & Foster, R. (2011) The impact of a nursing transitions programme on retention and cost savings. Journal of Nursing Management, 19: 50–56.
- Hughes-Rease,M & Foster, R. (2011) “Transformational and Transactional Leadership” in Gullatte, M. 2nd Ed., Nursing management principles and practice. Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Foster, R. (2004) An investigation of stakeholder attributes, salience and the extent of involvement in decisions related to strategic change: The perceptions of healthcare organization chief executives. Dissertation
- Pauken, P., Kallio, B. & Stockard. R. (2001) “The Ethics of Public School Fiscal and Academic Accountability Legislation: A Multidimensional Analysis”, Journal of School Leadership, 162-181.
- Stockard, R.(1999) “In the Beginning”, Women of Excellence Magazine, 2(1)32,49,51.
- Stockard, R.(1998) “Ministry of a Different Kind”, Women of Excellence Magazine, 1(4)35-36.
- Stockard, R.(1998) “Overcoming Hurdles—The Ultimate Race”, Gospel Today, 9(6):36-38.
- Stockard, Rhonda R., and Dianda-Martin, B.(1994) "Patient Identification: A Quality Imperative" Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., St. Louis MO. Improving Quality and Performance, 95-101.
- Stockard, R.R., Murray, M, McKee, M, Stanfa, D, (1994) "A Practical Model for Evaluating New Products and Technology" Aspen's Advisor, 9(5):4-7.
- Murray, M., Stockard, R., Blaylock, B, Stanfa, D, McKee, M, (1994) "Product Evaluation and Process Improvement" Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 9(1):16-20.
- Stockard, Rhonda R., (1992) "Utilizing a Database Management System to Manage Quality" Journal of Nursing Care Quality 7(1):29-34.
- Stockard, Rhonda, R., (1992) "Seven Essential Questions About Software for Quality Programs" Nursing Quality Connection, 1(5):1,5.
- Stockard, Rhonda R., Book Reviews. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Stockard, Rhonda, R., (1986) "Facing the Facts on Adolescent Pregnancy" NAACOG Newsletter, 13(9):1-3.
- 2011, Leader to Watch, Featured in Nurse Leader Journal Dec 2011 (9) 6
- 1993, Women on the Move, Toledo Chapter Girl Friends, Inc.
- 1989, Women of Toledo, St. Vincent Medical Center Auxiliary