Sorin Buga, M.D.
- Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Care
Sorin Buga, M.D., is an Associate Clinical Professor in the Department of Supportive Care Medicine focusing on palliative care medicine. He joined City of Hope in 2013 from Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, where he was an assistant member in the Psychosocial and Palliative Care Department. Concurrently, he served as an assistant professor in the Department of Oncologic Services at the University of South Florida's College of Medicine.
He is board certified in internal medicine, and hospice and palliative medicine. He is City of Hope’s representative in the NCCN Adult Cancer Pain Panel. He is an active member of many professional organizations including the American Academy of Pain Management, the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and the International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care. He has published in the peer reviewed literature and has been invited to speak at several scientific meetings.
Dr. Buga earned his medical degree from the Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie in Timisoara, Romania. He completed an internship and subsequent residency in internal medicine at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY, where he served as the Chief Medical Resident. He went on to further his training and then completed a fellowship in cancer pain and palliative care at the University of South Florida and the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL.
He is fluent in Romanian, and is known as a highly competent, kind and hard working clinician and colleague.; Dr. Buga is available by referral to help patients address issues of pain or other supportive care needs.
- 2015 - 2017, Interim Chair, Department of Supportive Care Medicine
- 2013 - Present, Associate Clinical Professor, Palliative Medicine, Department of Supportive Care Medicine, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2007- 2012 Assistant Member, Department of Psychosocial and Palliative Care, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Assistant Member (Professor), Department of Oncologic Sciences, MDC 44 College of Medicine, University of South Florida
- 1990, Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie, Timisoara, Romania, M.D.
- 2006 –2007, Cancer Pain and Palliative Care fellowship
- University of South Florida and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Fl
- 2004 –2006, Internal Medicine residency
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- 2003 –2004, Internal Medicine internship
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- California: C55230 active
- Florida: ME 96668 active
- New York: 244660 inactive
- 2006 Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine
- 2008 Diplomate of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- 2008 Diplomate of the American Academy of Pain Management
J. Parker; S. Buga; J. Sarria; P. Spiess - Advancements in the Management of Urologic Chronic Pelvic Pain : What Is New and What Do We Know - CURRENT UROLOGY REPORTS, vol. 11, issue 4, page 286-291, July 2010, Pubmed ID 20449695
S. Buga; J.E. Sarria - The Management of Pain in Metastatic Bone Disease, CANCER CONTROL, vol. 19, No. 2, page 154-166, April 2012
Tami Borneman, Virginia Sun, Anna Cathy Williams, Rebecca Fukinami, Catherine Del Ferraro, Peggy Burhenn, Terry Irish, Finly Zachariah, Carin van Zyl, Sorin Buga – Support for Patients and family caregivers in Lung Cancer: Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 08/2015, vol. 17, No. 4
Julie Knight, Charlene Whittlesey, Sorin Buga – Put an End to Cancer Pain: Coping with Cancer, May/June 2015
C. Constantini; A. Lansky; R. Mehran; C. Grines; K. Shirai; R. Costa; E. Cristea; M. Fahy; S. Buga; H. Marginean; J. Griffin; G. Stone - Impact of Myocardial Blush Analysis Methodologies in Predicting Short and Long-Term Mortality after Primary Angioplasty - The Cadillac Trial - CIRCULATION, Abstracts from scientific sessions 2003, Vol 108, No 17, page IV-415, October 2003
I. Moussa; M. Jaff; S. Iyer; H. Klein; N. Dubova; T. Limpijankit; R. Pop; I. Hjazi; S. Buga; G. New; N. Coplan; J. Moses - Detection of Peripheral Arterial Disease in Patients Presenting for Coronary Angiography and / or Intervention for Coronary Artery Disease: The Peripheral Arterial Disease in Interventional Patients Study ( PIPS ) -CIRCULATION, Abstracts from scientific sessions 2003, Vol 108, No 17, page IV-634, October 2003
- 2013 - Present City of Hope Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, member
- 2013 - Present City of Hope Patient Rights and Organizational Ethics Joint Committee, member
- 2008 - 2013 Moffitt Cancer Center Ethics Committee, member
- 2012 - 2013 Moffitt Cancer Center End of Life Workgroup, member
- 2012 - 2013 Moffitt Cancer Center Pain Committee, member
- 2011 - 2013 N.C.C.N. Adult Cancer Pain Panel Moffitt Cancer Center representative
- 2008 - 2010 University of South Florida College of Medicine Academic Performance Review Committee, member
- 2005 - 2006 Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, chief medical resident
- 2004 - Present American Medical Association
- 2006 - Present American Academy of Pain Management
- 2006 - Present American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- 2007 - Present European Association for Palliative Care
- 2009 - Present American College of Physicians
- 2010 - Present International Association for the Study of Pain
- 2011 - Present International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care
- 2012 - Present Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer
- 2013 - Present American Society of Addiction Medicine
- 2013 - Present American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine