Thomas J. Gernon, M.D.
- Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Microvascular Reconstruction
- HPV-related Malignancies
Thomas J. Gernon, M.D., is an associate clinical professor in department of surgery, specializing in head and neck surgery. Dr. Gernon came to City of Hope from the University of Arizona College of Medicine, where he was an assistant professor in the department of surgery, division of otolaryngology.
Board-certified in otolaryngology, Dr. Gernon is active in outreach. During his time at the University of Arizona Medical Center, he essentially built the Head & Neck Oncology Program from the ground up, serving as co-director of the program, as well as medial director of the Outpatient Surgical Specialty Clinics. He developed one of the largest referral centers in Southern Arizona for patients with complex tumors of the head and neck. His clinical expertise encompasses evaluation and treatment of patients with tumors of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx, larynx and salivary glands. He has special interest in treatment of patients with HPV related head and neck malignancies. Dr. Gernon has published in the peer-reviewed literature, and has been invited to present his work both locally and nationally.
Dr. Gernon trained with an internship in general surgery at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he also pursued a residency in head and neck surgery. In 2011, he completed a fellowship in head and neck surgery and microvascular reconstruction from the University of Washington, Seattle.
Dr. Gernon graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Washington in Seattle prior to receiving his medical doctorate from UW School of Medicine. While in medical school, he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society.
- 2016 to present - Associate Cinical Professor, Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011 to 2016 - Assistant Professor, Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Thyroid Cancer
- 2005 - University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, M.D.
- 1999 - University of Washington, Seattle, B.S. in Zoology
- 2010 to 2011 - Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery and Microvascular Reconstruction, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Washington, Seattle
- 2005 to 2010 - Head and Neck Surgery Resident, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2005 to 2006 - General Surgery Intern, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- American Board of Otolaryngology
April 03, 2018
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
- 2005 - Alpha Omega lapha, University of Washington School of Medicine
- 1999 - Phi Beta Kappa, University of Washinton
- 1997 - Cardinal Honors Society, Oregon State University