Weili Sun, M.D., Ph.D.
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Pediatric leukemia and lymphoma
- Early phase clinical trials in pediatric leukemia and lymphoma
Weili Sun, M.D., Ph.D., is an associate clinical professor in the Department of Pediatrics. She also serves as director of the Pediatric Leukemia Program. Double board-certified in pediatrics and pediatric hematology/oncology, Dr. Sun’s clinical and research interests include developing novel therapeutic agents to treat children, adolescents and young adults with newly diagnosed and relapsed leukemia and lymphoma.
Dr. Sun joined City of Hope from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) and Keck School of Medicine of USC. While at CHLA, she was a member of the scientific review committee of the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia & Lymphoma (TACL) Consortium, a multi-institutional scientific consortium focusing on early phase clinical trials in pediatric leukemia and lymphoma.
She was the study chair of several multi-institution TACL clinical studies, including a phase 1 study using azacitidine in combination with chemotherapy to treat childhood relapsed acute leukemia. In addition, she is the study committee member of the Children’s Oncology Group’s phase 3 study to treat children with newly diagnosed acute promyelocytic leukemia. Dr. Sun has received multiple external peer-reviewed grants for her clinical and translational research work. She has published her work in many peer-reviewed journal and has been invited to speak at national and international meetings.
- 2016-present, Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Director, Pediatric Leukemia Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011-2016, Assistant professor, Keck School of Medicine of USC, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Pediatrics, Los Angeles, CA
- 2004, University of Tennessee, Health Science Center, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Memphis, TN, Ph.D.
- 1995, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China, M.D.
- 2008-2011, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, New York, NY
- 2007-2008, Montefiore Medical Center, Pediatrics, Bronx, NY
- 2006-2007, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Pediatrics, Baltimore, MD
- 2005-2006, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Pediatrics, Baltimore, MD
- 2013, Pediatric Hematology Oncology
- 2008, American Board of Pediatrics
- Weili Sun, Jemily Malvar, Richard Sposto, Anupam Verma, Jennifer J. Wilkes, Robyn Dennis, Kenneth Heym, Theodore W. laetsch, Melissa Widener, Susan R Rheingold, Javier Oesterheld, Nobuko Hijiya, Maria Luisa Sulis, Van Huynh, Andrew E. Place, Henrique Bittencourt, Raymond Hutchinson, Yoav Messinger, Bill Chang, Yousif Matloub, David S. Ziegler, Rebecca Gardner, Todd Cooper, Francesco Ceppi, Michelle Hermiston, Luciano Dalla-Pozza, Kirk R. Schultz, Paul Gaynon, Alan S. Wayne, and James A. Whitlock (2018), Outcome of children with multiply relapsed B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a Therapeutic Advances in Childhood leukemia & lymphoma (TACL) study (Leukemia, accepted)
- Weili Sun, Timothy Jr. Triche, Jemily Malvar, Paul Gaynon, Richard Sposto, Xiaojing Yang, Henrique Bittencourt, Andrew E. Place, Yoav Messinger, Christ Fraser, Luciano Dalla-Pozza, Bodour Salhia, Peter Jones, Alan S. Wayne, Lia Gore, Todd M. Cooper, and Ganging Liang (2018), A phase 1 study of azacitidine combined with chemotherapy in childhood leukemia: a report from TACL consortium (Blood, first edition, 2017-09-803809)
- Anna B Pawlowska, Nicole A Karras, Jerry C Cheng, Weili Sun, Leo Wang, Alison D Bell, Lisa Gutierrez, and Joseph Rosenthal (2018), HLA-haploidentical stem cell transplant with pre-transplant immunosuppression for patients with sickle cell disease (Biology of blood and marrow transplantation, 24(1):185-189)
- Alan S. Wayne, Nirali N. Shah, Deepa Bhojwani, Lewis B. Silverman, James A. Whitlock, Maryalice Stetler Stevenson, Weili Sun, Meina Liang, Jie Yang, Robert J. Kreitman, Mark C. Lanasa, and Ira Pasta (2017), Phase 1 study of the anti-CD22 immunotoxin moxetumomab pasudotox for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Blood, 130(14):1620-1627)
- Weili Sun (2016), Dexamethasone vs. prednisone in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Journal of Xiangya Medicine, 1;16)
- Lin Li, Xiaotian Qi, Weili Sun, Hisham Abdel-Azim, Siyue Lou, Hong Zhu, Nemani V Prasadarao, Alice Zhou, Hiroyuki Shimada, Koichi Shudo, Yong-Mi Kim, Sajad Khazal, Qiaojun He, David Warburton, and Lingtao Wu (2016), Am80-GCSF synergizes myeloid expansion and differentiation to generate functional neutrophils that reduce neutropenia-associated infection and mortality (EMBO Molecular Medicine, 8(11):1340-1359)
- Weili Sun, Etan Orgel, Jemily Malvar, Richard Sposto, Jennifer Wilkes, Rebecca Gardner, Vanessa Pineros, Alison Smith, Minjun Hur, Jill Hoffman, Susan R Rheingold, Michael J Burke, Alan S Wayne (2016), Treatment related adverse events associated with a modified UK ALLR3 induction chemotherapy backbone for childhood relapsed/refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 63 (11):1943-8)
- Paul Gaynon and Weili Sun (2016), Oligoclonality and new agent evaluation in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (British Journal of Haematology, 173 (6):950-7)
- Kee Kiat Yeo, Paul Gaynon, Cecilia Fu, Alan Wayne, Weili Sun (2016), Bortezomib, dexamethasone, mitoxantrone and vinorelbine (BDMV): an active re-induction regimen for children with relapsed All and Asparaginase intolerance (Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 38(5):345-9)
- WeiIi Sun, Paul Gaynon, Richard Sposto, and Alan Wayne (2015), Improving access to novl agents for childhood leukemia (Cancer, 121 (12): 1927 -36)
- Yin Liu, Jingyan Tang, Peter Wakamatsu, Huiliang Xue, Jing Chen, Paul S. Gaynon, Shuhong Shen and Weili Sun (2014), High-resolution melting curve analysis, a rapid and affordable methods for mutation analysis in childhood cute myeloid leukemia (Frontiers in Pediatrics, 2;96, doi:10.3389/fped.214.00096)
- Weili Sun and Sha keel Modak (2012), Emergenging treatment options for the treatment of neuroblastoma: potential role of periforsine (OncoTargets and Therapy, 5:21-29)
- Robert B. Lorsbach, Jennifer Moore, Sonny Ang, Weili Sun, Noel Lenny, and James R. Downing (2004), Role of RUNXl in adult hematopoiesis: analysis of RUNXl-GFP knock-in mice reveals differential lineage expression (Blood. 2004, Apr 1;103(7):2522-9)
- Weili Sun and James R. Downing (2004) Haploinsufficiency of AMll results in a decrease in the number of L TR-HSC, while simultaneously inducing an increase in more mature progenitors (Blood, 2004, Dec 1;104(12):3565-72)
- 2014-present, Chinese American Hematologist and Oncologist Network
- 2013-present, European Hematology Association
- 2008-present, Children’s Oncology Group
- 2011-present, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2008-present, American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- 2003-present, American Society of Hematology