Gabriel B. Gugiu, Ph.D.
Associate Research Professor, Department Of Molecular Imaging & Therapy
Manager, Mass Spectrometry And Proteomics Core
Ph.D. Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Department of Chemistry, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, May 2004
M.S. “Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics” University Politehnica of Bucharest, Department of Organic Chemistry, Bucharest, Romania, July 1996
B.S. “Organic Chemistry - Technology of Organic Compounds” University Politehnica of Bucharest, Department of Organic Chemistry, Romania, June 1995
Learn more about the Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Core.
Senior Research Associate
Research Associate II
Information listed here is obtained from Pubmed, a public database; City of Hope is not responsible for its accuracy.
- Ticagrelor Removal From Human Blood. Angheloiu GO, Gugiu GB, Ruse C, Pandey R, Dasari RR, Whatling C. JACC: Basic to Translational Science. 2017 April; 2(2):135-145.
- Lipid Identification by Untargeted Tandem Mass Spectrometry Coupled with Ultra-High-Pressure Liquid Chromatography. Gugiu GB. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2017; 1609:65-82.
- Receptor-Mediated Mechanism Controlling Tissue Levels of Bioactive Lipid Oxidation Products. Kim YW, Yakubenko VP, West XZ, Gugiu GB, Renganathan K, Biswas S, Gao D, Crabb JW, Salomon RG, Podrez EA, Byzova TV. Circulation research. 2015; 117(4):321-32.
- Macrophage immunomodulation by breast cancer-derived exosomes requires Toll-like receptor 2-mediated activation of NF-κB.Chow A, Zhou W, Liu L, Fong MY, Champer J, Van Haute D, Chin AR, Ren X, Gugiu BG, Meng Z, Huang W, Ngo V, Kortylewski M, Wang SE. Scientific reports. 2014; 4:5750.
- Fatty acid epoxyisoprostane E2 stimulates an oxidative stress response in endothelial cells. Yan X, Lee S, Gugiu BG, Koroniak L, Jung ME, Berliner J, Cheng J, Li R. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2014; 444(1):69-74.
- COH-SR4 reduces body weight, improves glycemic control and prevents hepatic steatosis in high fat diet-induced obese mice.Figarola JL, Singhal P, Rahbar S, Gugiu BG, Awasthi S, Singhal SS.PloS one. 2013; 8(12):e83801.
- 1,3-Bis(3,5-dichlorophenyl) urea compound 'COH-SR4' inhibits proliferation and activates apoptosis in melanoma.Singhal SS, Figarola J, Singhal J, Leake K, Nagaprashantha L, Lincoln C, Gabriel Gugiu B, Horne D, Jove R, Awasthi S, Rahbar S.Biochemical pharmacology. 2012; 84(11):1419-27.
- Mass spectrometric analyses of phosphatidylcholines in alkali-exposed corneal tissue. Crane AM, Hua HU, Coggin AD, Gugiu BG, Lam BL, Bhattacharya SK. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2012; 53(11):7122-30.
- Evidence for the importance of OxPAPC interaction with cysteines in regulating endothelial cell function. Springstead JR, Gugiu BG, Lee S, Cha S, Watson AD, Berliner JA. Journal of lipid research. 2012; 53(7):1304-15.
- Alkylation of cysteine 468 in Stat3 defines a novel site for therapeutic development. Buettner R, Corzano R, Rashid R, Lin J, Senthil M, Hedvat M, Schroeder A, Mao A, Herrmann A, Yim J, Li H, Yuan YC, Yakushijin K, Yakushijin F, Vaidehi N, Moore R, Gugiu G, Lee TD, Yip R, Chen Y, Jove R, Horne D, Williams JC. ACS chemical biology. 2011; 6(5):432-43.
- A 13-Oxo-9,10-epoxytridecenoate phospholipid analogue of the genotoxic 4,5-epoxy-2E-decenal: detection in vivo, chemical synthesis, and adduction with DNA. Mesaros C, Gugiu BG, Zhou R, Lee SH, Choi J, Laird J, Blair IA, Salomon RG. Chemical research in toxicology. 2010; 23(3):516-27. NIHMSID: NIHMS177156
- Improved synthesis of the epoxy isoprostane phospholipid PEIPC and its reactivity with amines. Jung ME, Berliner JA, Koroniak L, Gugiu BG, Watson AD. Organic letters. 2008; 10(19):4207-9.
- Retinal pigment epithelium lipofuscin proteomics. Ng KP, Gugiu B, Renganathan K, Davies MW, Gu X, Crabb JS, Kim SR, Rózanowska MB, Bonilha VL, Rayborn ME, Salomon RG, Sparrow JR, Boulton ME, Hollyfield JG, Crabb JW. Molecular & cellular proteomics : MCP. 2008; 7(7):1397-405.
- Protein targets of oxidized phospholipids in endothelial cells. Gugiu BG, Mouillesseaux K, Duong V, Herzog T, Hekimian A, Koroniak L, Vondriska TM, Watson AD. Journal of lipid research. 2008; 49(3):510-20.
- The lipid whisker model of the structure of oxidized cell membranes. Greenberg ME, Li XM, Gugiu BG, Gu X, Qin J, Salomon RG, Hazen SL. The Journal of biological chemistry. 2008; 283(4):2385-96.
- Inflammation, lipoproteins (HDL), and atherosclerosis. Watson AD, Gugiu GB, Navab M. Arteriosclerosis. 2007; 19(5):28-31.
- A role for neutral sphingomyelinase activation in the inhibition of LPS action by phospholipid oxidation products. Walton KA, Gugiu BG, Thomas M, Basseri RJ, Eliav DR, Salomon RG, Berliner JA. Journal of lipid research. 2006; 47(9):1967-74.
- Identification of oxidatively truncated ethanolamine phospholipids in retina and their generation from polyunsaturated phosphatidylethanolamines. Gugiu BG, Mesaros CA, Sun M, Gu X, Crabb JW, Salomon RG. Chemical research in toxicology. 2006; 19(2):262-71.
- Total syntheses of bioactive oxidized ethanolamine phospholipids. Gugiu BG, Salomon RG. Organic letters. 2003; 5(16):2797-9.
- Oxidatively truncated docosahexaenoate phospholipids: total synthesis, generation, and Peptide adduction chemistry. Gu X, Sun M, Gugiu B, Hazen S, Crabb JW, Salomon RG.