National Business Products Industry Spirit of Life® Award Gala
Joe Templet was born and raised in a small town in Southeastern Kansas. He graduated from Cherryvale High School, Cherryvale, Kansas, in 1964. He earned a BSBA with a Major in Marketing, from Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas.
Joe was recruited right out of college in 1968, by Procter and Gamble, to work in the Consumer Paper Products business. After a short stint, he was drafted and served 2 years in the United States Army. He served in the infantry and was selected to attend the Non-Commissioned Officers Academy in Ft. Benning, Georgia. He graduated from the academy and received the Leadership Award out of 440 attendees and the rank of Staff Sergeant E – 6, after completion of the academy. Joe finished his tour of duty in 1970, and returned to work with Procter and Gamble, in South Carolina.
Polaroid Corporation recruited Joe in 1973, to work in their Consumer Products Sales division, covering all of South Carolina, half of Georgia and North Carolina. He was promoted to West Central Region Manager for the Supermarket Sales division in 1975, and relocated to Chicago, Illinois.
In 1982, Joe was recruited by The Parker Pen Company, in Janesville, Wisconsin, as National Sales Director. He soon was promoted to General Manager, U. S. Operations, assuming responsibility for all U. S. Operations and Military Sales worldwide.
United Stationers Supply Company recruited Joe in 1985, to serve as Vice President of Sales, Johnson & Staley, a large writing instrument, art supplies and college bookstore products company. Through the years, he held various positions at United Stationers, which just recently rebranded as Essendant. Joe’s current role is Senior Vice President, Trade Development. As such he:
- Supports the field organization on the retention and acquisition of business
- Is responsible for all Supply and Jan/San Buying Groups
- Manages and coordinates all Dealer Advisory Council meetings, selection of members and activities
- Is a point person for dealer & distributor mergers and acquisitions. Provides counsel to customers and assists in the merger and acquisition process
- Represents Essendant at all industry events to ensure continuity in messaging
- Works closely with the City of Hope and coordinates all Essendant City of Hope activities
During his career at United Stationers/Essendant, he has been actively involved in industry associations as follows:
- Board of Directors – National Association of Writing Instrument Distributors
- Wholesale Stationers Association
- President & Board of Directors – Office Products Wholesalers Association
- President & Board of Directors – Business Solutions Association
Joe has been involved with and has supported the City of Hope for 30 years. He has served as Co-chairman of the Friends for Hope campaign, and in 2013, he was the recipient of the first City of Hope Hall of Fame Award.
Joe and his beautiful wife, Vicki, have been married for 26 years and have three children – Cody (23), Parker (19) and Tori (15). In addition, Joe has two older children, Scott & Robyn, and 4 grandchildren – Camryn, Paige, Ryley and Cole.
In his spare time, he enjoys time with his family, golf and cruises to interesting parts of the world.