Jeff Perry, Ph.D.
Jeff Perry, Ph.D. joined the newly formed Department of Molecular Diagnostics and Experimental Therapeutics in August 2021, and he is a member of the Comprehensive Cancer Center at City of Hope.
Dr. Perry’s lab research focus is on using structural biology and biochemical methods to study DNA repair, genome stability and signal transduction pathways, to leverage these structures to develop inhibitors to function as novel chemical tools and potential novel therapeutics to target these pathways for chemotherapy. Dr. Perry has over 50 publications and several patents in these research areas.
Jeff grew up in the United Kingdom and he completed his Ph.D. studies in Professor Sir Tom L. Blundell’s laboratory, in the Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, U.K. He moved to the United States as a post-doctoral research fellow at the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs, Berkeley, California and a Visiting Scientist at The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California.
From 2014 to 2021, Dr. Perry then became a Senior Research Fellow, a Staff Scientist at Scripps in John A. Tainer’s laboratory, followed by an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biochemistry at UC Riverside, California.
2001, Ph.D., Natural Science, University of Cambridge, UK
1996, B.S., Honors, Biochemistry with a Year in Industry, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, UK
2001-2006, Postdoctoral Fellow, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories & Visiting Scientist, TSRI
2021-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular Diagnostics and Experimental Therapeutics, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2020-present, Co-Founder, Theia Biosciences
2017-present, Stakeholder, WInSanTor Pharmaceuticals Inc., San Diego, CA
2015-present, Adjunct Professor, Universidad Francisco de Vitoria, Madrid Spain
2014-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of California Riverside, CA
2011-2014, Staff Scientist, The Scripps Research Institute
2006-2011, Senior Research Associate, The Scripps Research Institute
2005-present, International Adjunct Professor, School of Biotechnology, Amrita University, Kerala, India
2015-Present, Adjunct Professor, Universidad Francisco de Vitoria, Madrid, Spain
2005-Present, International Adjunct Professor, Amrita University, India
2022-Present, Integrated Drug Development Award COH (Co-PI)
2021, UCR Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement
2020-2024, NIH NIGMS R01 (Co-PI)
2020, UCR Regents Faculty Development Award
2020, UCR UC LFRP grant (PI)
2019-2024, NIH NCI R01 grant (Co-I)
2019-2023, NIH NCI P20 grant (Co-PI)
2019-2022, DOD CDRMP BCRP Level 2 Grant (Partnering PI)
2019, UCR MolMed Grant (PI)
2019, UCR Regents Fellowship
2018, UC Cancer Research Coordinating Committee Grant (PI)
2018, UCR, Reagents Travel Award
2018, UCR, Metabolimics Seed Grant (PI)
2017-2020, UC Office of the President Lab Fees Grant (Co-PI)
2014-2017, Arnold O. Beckman Review Panel
2015, UCR Seed Grant (PI)
2015, Invitation to the United Nations, NY, USA. ‘Technology for Sustainable Development
2014, Ad Hoc Review Committee, NIH NCI
2013-2014, NIH/NIGMS P50 Collaborative Development Program Award
2011-2015, NIH/NIAMS New Investigator R03 (PI)
1996-2000, Pfizer Central Research Ltd, UK, CASE-sponsored Ph.D. studentship
- Li CM, Haratipour P, Lingeman RG, Perry JJP, Gu L, Hickey RJ, Malkas LH. Novel Peptide Therapeutic Approaches for Cancer Treatment. Cells (2021) Oct 27;10(11):2908.
- Liu Y, Shen Y, Song Y, Xu L, Perry JJ, Liao J. Isopeptidase Kinetics Determination by a Real Time and Sensitive qFRET Approach (2021) Biomolecules Apr 30;11 (5):673.
- Y Liu, F Zhang, L Jiang, JJP Perry, Z Zhao, J Liao. Product inhibition kinetics determinations-Substrate interaction affinity and enzymatic kinetics using one quantitative FRET assay. (2021) International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 193, 1481-1487
- Gambini L, Udompholkul P, Baggio C, Muralidharan A, Kenjić N, Assar Z, Perry JJP, Pellecchia M. Design, Synthesis, and Structural Characterization of Lysine Covalent BH3 Peptides Targeting Mcl-1. J Med Chem. 2021 Apr 22;64(8):4903-4912
- Clear AD, Manthey GM, Lewis O, Lopez IY, Rico R, Owens S, Negritto MC, Wolf EW, Xu J, Kenjić N, Perry JJP, Adamson AW, Neuhausen SL, Bailis AM. Variants of the human RAD52 gene confer defects in ionizing radiation resistance and homologous recombination repair in budding yeast. (2020) Microbial Cell. ePub 07/20/2020.
- Dennis TN, Kenjić N, Kang AS, Lowenson JD, Kirkwood JS, Clarke SG, Perry JJP. Human ARMT1 structure and substrate specificity indicates that it is a DUF89 family damage-control phosphatase. (2020) J. Struct. Biol. ePub July 15th 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsb.2020.107576. Corresponding Author.
- Baggio C, Udompholkul P, Gambini L, Jossart J, Salem A.F., Hakansson M, Perry JJP, Pellecchia M. Nlocking stabilization of covalent helical peptides: Application to Bfl-1 antagonists. (2020) Chemical Biology & Drug Design. ePub. 02 January 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/cbdd.13661
- Sunilkumar D, Drishya G, Chandreskharan A, Shaji SK, Bose C, Jossart J, Perry JJP, Mishra N, Kumar GB, Nair BG. Oxyresveratrol drives caspase-indpendent apoptosis-like cell death in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells through the induction of ROS. Oxyresveratrol drives caspase-independent apoptosis-like cell death in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells through the induction of ROS. (2019) Biochemical Pharmacology. ePub. 20 November 2019. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2019.113724.
- Kumar, GB, Nair BG, Perry JJP, Martin DBC. Recent insights into natural product inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases. (2019) MedChemChomm. epub Oct 7th 2019. doi: 10/1039/c9md00165d. Co-Corresponding Author.
- Baggio C, Udompholkul P, Gambini L, Salem AF, Jossart J, Perry JJP, & Pellecchia M. (2019). Arylfluorosulfate-based Lysine Covalent pan-Inhibitors of Apoptosis Proteins (IAP) Antagonists with Cellular
- Efficacy. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Epub September 24, 2019. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b01108. F1000Prime Recommended.
- He X, Zhu Y, Lin YC, Li M, Du J, Dong H, Sun J, Zhu L, Wang H, Ding Z, Zhang L, Zhang L, Zhao D, Wang Z, Wu H, Zhang H, Jiang W, Xu Y, Jin J, Shen Y, Perry J, Zhao X, Zhang B, Liu S, Xue SL, Shen B, Chen CW, Chen J, Khaled S, Kuo YH, Marcucci G, Luo Y, Li L. PRMT1-mediated FLT3 arginine methylation promotes maintenance of FLT3-ITD(+) Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Blood. 2019 Jun 19. doi: 10.1182/blood.2019001282. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31217189.
- Gambini L, Baggio C, Udompholkul P, Jossart J, Salem AF, Perry JJP, Pellecchia M. Covalent Inhibitors of Protein-Protein Interactions Targeting Lysine, Tyrosine or Histidine Residues. J Med Chem. 2019 May 29. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00561.
- Jossart, JJ, Dennis, TN, Perry JJP. Mitochondrial Dysfunction Affecting the Peripheral Nervous System in Diabetic Neuropathy and Avenues for Therapy. Handbook on Mitochondrial Dysfunction. Editor: Shamim I. Ahmad. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group. Boca Raton, FL 33487-2742. Accepted (2019). Corresponding author.
- Weigel WK 3rd, Dennis TN, Kang AS, Perry JJP*, Martin DBC*. A Heck-Based Strategy to Generate Anacardic Acids and Related Phenolic Lipids for Isofrom-Specific Bioactivity Profiling. Org. Lett. (2018) Oct 5;20(19):6234-6238. Epub 2018 Sep 25. *Co-corresponding author.s
- Ordookhanian C, Dennis TN & Perry JJ. The Premature Aging Characteristics of RecQ Helicases. Aging: Exploring a Complex Phenomenon. (2017) Editor: Shamim I. Ahmad. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group. Boca Raton, FL 33487-2742. Corresponding author.
- Finley J. Allgaier & J. Jefferson P. Perry. Reactive Oxygen Species in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Book Chapter. Reactive Oxygen Species in Biology and Human Health. Editor Shamim I. Ahmad. (2016) June 1 CRC Press ISBN 9781498735452. Corresponding author.
- Hollands A., Corriden R., Gysler G., Dahesh S., Olson J., Raza Ali S., Kunkel M.T., Lin A.E., Forli S., Newton A.C., Kumar G.B., Nair BG., Perry, JJP and Nizet, V. Natural product anacardic acid from cashew nut shells stimulates neutrophil extracellular trap production and bactericidal activity J. Biol. Chem (2016) Jul 1;291(27):13964-73.
- Tsai CL, Williams GJ, Perry JJ, Tainer JA. An AAA+ ATPase Clamshell Targets Transposition. Cell. 2015 Aug 13;162(4):701-3
- Zhao L, Chen XJ, Zhu J, Xi YB, Yang X, Hu LD, Ouyang H, Patel SH, Jin X, Lin D, Wu F, Flagg K, Cai H, Li G, Cao G, Lin Y, Chen D, Wen C, Chung C, Wang Y, Qiu A, Yeh E, Wang W, Hu X, Grob S, Abagyan R, Su Z, Tjondro HC, Zhao XJ, Luo H, Hou R, Perry JJ, Gao W, Kozak I, Granet D, Li Y, Sun X, Wang J, Zhang L, Liu Y, Yan YB, Zhang K. Lanosterol reverses protein aggregation in cataracts. Nature. (2015) 523, 607–611. Epub. Jul 22nd 2015 . F1000Prime Recommended & Science AAAS Highlights.
- Fan H, Hahm J, Diggs S, Perry JJ, Blaha G. Structural and Functional Analysis of BipA, a Regulator of Virulence in enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jul 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Zhang ZM, Liu S, Lin K, Luo Y, Perry JJP, Wang Y, Song J. Crystal Structure of Human DNA Methyltransferase 1. J Mol Biol. 2015 Jun 10. pii: S0022-2836(15)00341-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jmb.2015.06.001. [Epub ahead of print].
- Perry JJP, Ballard GD, Albert AE, Dobrolecki LE, Malkas LH, Hoelz DJ. Human C6orf211 encodes Armt1, a protein carboxyl methyltransferase that targets PCNA and is linked to the DNA damage response. Cell Rep. 2015 Mar 3;10(8):1288-96. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2015.01.054. Epub 2015 Feb 26. Pre-UCR:
- Groocock, LM, Nie M, Prudden J, Moiani D, Wang T, Cheltsov A, Arvai AS, Hitomi C, Tainer JA, Luger K, Perry JJP*, Lazzerini-Denchi E* & Boddy MN*. RNF4 Interacts with both SUMO and Nucleosomes to Promote the DNA Damage Response. EMBO Reports (2014) May;15(5):601-8. Epub 2014 Apr 8. *Cocorresponding author.
- Shibata A, Moiani D, Arvai AS, Perry JJP, Harding SM, Genois MM, Maity R, van Rossum-Fikkert S, Kertokalio A, Romoli F, Ismail A, Ismalaj E, Petricci E, Neale MJ, Bristow RG, Masson JY, Wyman C, Jeggo P & Tainer JA. DNA Double Strand Break Repair Pathway Choice Is Directed by Distinct MRE11 Nuclease Activities. Mol. Cell (2014) Jan 9;53(1):7-18. Epub 2013 Dec 5. F1000Prime Recommended.