This warm, comforting herb risotto is full of flavor and surprisingly simple to prepare, and works as a main dish or a side. The simple carbs in arborio rice provide quick energy for the body. Courtesy of City of Hope Executive Chef Christian Eggerling.
Serves 12 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, small dice
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 oz fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 lb arborio rice
- 1 pint white wine
- 4 pints vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh basil, julienne
- 4 oz butter, unsalted
- 5 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- In a hot sauté pan, heat oil to smoking hot then and brown onion and rosemary until well browned. Add garlic and brown.
- Add thyme and rice to the pan, and saute the rice becomes slightly translucent around the edges
- Add the wine to the pan and reduce until the liquid is gone.
- Add 1 pint of vegetable stock to the pan and cook until the stock is absorbed
- Add the remaining stock 1 pint at a time until all liquid is absorbed and the rice becomes creamy in texture.
- Add the basil, butter and Parmesan cheese and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve.