Layered Nachos Grandes
January 1, 2018 | by City of Hope
This is a high calorie, vegetarian-friendly recipe, making it a good choice for people undergoing cancer treatment who may have a difficulty getting adequate calories. The avocado provides a good source of monounsaturated fat, potassium and vitamins and the greek yogurt is a good alternative to sour cream to reduce unhealthy fats and to give a boost of protein. (NOTE: This recipe has been reviewed by City of Hope dieticians.)
Serves: 4 (2 stacks each)
Nutritional information: 192 calories, 12 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 105 mg sodium.
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe tomato, seeded, about 2 on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1/2 cup drained canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
Refried Black Beans:
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- 24 restaurant-style reduced-sodium tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 8 tsp whipped plain greek yogurt
- 8 cilantro leaves
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 (1/4-inch wide) avocado slices, halved crosswise
- 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
- To make salsa fresca, in mixing bowl, use fork to combine fresh tomato, canned tomato, onion, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. There will be 2 cups salsa. Set aside.
- To make refried beans, coat cast iron or other heavy medium skillet with cooking spray. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beans and cumin and 1/2 cup water. Using sturdy fork, mash beans until lumpy and a bit soft. Season to taste with salt. Set aside 1/2 cup, reserving remaining beans for another use.
- To assemble nachos, arrange 8 tortilla chips on prepared baking sheet. Top each chip with 1 tablespoon refried black beans. Add 1/2 tablespoon cheese. Top with second tortilla chip. Sprinkle on 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake chips until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
- Using wide spatula, transfer two stacked nachos to each of 4 plates. Spoon 1 tablespoon salsa fresca on top of melted cheese and top each nacho with a third tortilla chip. Top with another tablespoon salsa fresca, the sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño and avocado. Add a squirt of lime juice.
- Serve immediately.
, Thank you for supporting our mission of eliminating cancer and other life-threatening diseases! Make sure to check your inbox from time to time for the latest City of Hope updates and breakthroughs.