Recipes for a healthy New Year: hummus and pita chips
January 7, 2019
| by Molly Peck
Lighten up in the new year with this easy and tasty hummus and pita chips recipe. This appetizer, snack or side dish is an excellent healthy alternative to traditional deep fried potato chips served with cheesy, heavy sauces and dips that are high in fat and cholesterol.
Beans are excellent sources of antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and zinc. So if you’re eating to reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease or cancer, this is the perfect snack for you.
1 pkge Pita, split cut into small wedges
1 qt Garbanzo Beans, cooked, drained
2 ½ cups Olive Oil
1 ½ cups Lemon Juice
1 cup Tahini paste
8 cloves Garlic, peeled, sliced, toasted
1 tsp Cumin, ground
¼ tsp Chili Powder, mild
1/16 tsp Salt
1/16 tsp White Pepper, table grind
For the Hummus
- In a saute pan on medium heat 2 Tbsp of oil to smoking hot and toast the sliced garlic until browned, toast cumin for 5 seconds and remove from the heat
- In a blender place toasted garlic & cumin, 2 cups of oil, tahini paste chili powder and salt and blend until smooth
- Once smooth, start adding garbanzo beans slowly, while adding lemon juice back and forth like making a vinaigrette or an emulsion
- After all ingredients are incorporated and smooth, add chili powder & cumin and check for seasoning
- Add white pepper and more salt if needed
For the Pita Chips
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- In a bowl toss the pita pieces and ½ cup of oil until pita pieces are lightly coated
- Place flat on a sheet pan and bake in oven for approx. 12-15 minutes until crisp
- Serve with Hummus
, Thank you for supporting our mission of eliminating cancer and other life-threatening diseases! Make sure to check your inbox from time to time for the latest City of Hope updates and breakthroughs.
, Unable to process your request. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try after sometime.
You may also be interested in