Lorinda A. Soma, M.D.
Lorinda Soma, M.D., makes it her goal to provide the highest quality diagnostic care as quickly and economically as possible. As a pathologist specializing in blood cancers, she prioritizes collaboration, and a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and patient care.
Dr. Soma is a physician-teacher-scientist who had co-authored many peer-reviewed studies and book chapters when she joined City of Hope in 2022, including a recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Pathology on low grade B cell lymphoma. She previously was associate professor of laboratory medicine and pathology at the University of Washington and service chief for hematopathology at the institution’s medical center. During her time there, she twice received an institutional award for teaching hematopathology and served as medical director of the hematopathology laboratory and interim medical director of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Laboratory. She is a longtime member of the Society for Hematopathology, including time as chair of its education committee.
Away from the lab, Dr. Soma enjoys hiking, yoga, traveling, horseback riding and spending time with her family, dogs and horse.¬¬¬
- 1998, Doctor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
- 1994, Bachelor of Arts, Hamline University, St. Paul, MN
- 2005, Hematopathology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2003, Surgical Pathology, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, MN
- 2002, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
- 2022-present, Clinical Professor, Division of Hematopathology, Department of Pathology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2017-2022, Associate Professor and Hematopathologist, University of Washington, Laboratory Medicine & Pathology, Seattle, WA
- 2012-2017, Assistant Professor and Hematopathologist, University of Washington, Laboratory Medicine & Pathology, Seattle, WA
- 2018, Lab Medicine Faculty Teaching Award, University of Washington
- 2015, Lab Medicine Faculty Teaching Award, University of Washington
- 2000, Chief Resident in AP University of Pittsburgh, PA
- 1998, Alpha Omega Honor Society, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN
- 2013-present, Washington State Medical Association
- 2005-present, Society for Hematopathology
- 2000-present, American Society of Clinical Pathology
- 2000-present, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Naik A, Gooley T, Loeb K, Soma L, Smith SD, Gopal A, Naresh KN., “The impact of histological grade on outcomes in follicular lymphoma: An analysis of pagtients in the SEER database in the contect of evolving disease classification and treatment,” Br J Haematol 2022 Aug, Online ahead of print PMID 35973829.
- Reilly A., Creamer P., Stewart S., Stolla MC., Wang Y., Du. J, Wellington R., Busch S., Estey EH., Becker PS., Fang M., Keel SB., Abkowitz JL., Soma LA., Ma J., Duan Z, Doulatov S., “Lamin B1 deletion in myeloid neoplasms causes nuclear anomaly and altered hematopoietic stem cell function,” Cell Stem Cell, 2022 Apr 7;29(4):577-592. PMID: 35278369.
- Soma L, Smith S, Reddy P, Edlefsen K, Wu D, Cherian S, Xueyan C, Zhou Y, Reddy D, Fromm J, “Clinicopathologic findings in patients with initial diagnosis of extranodal marginal zone B cell lymphoma of mucosa associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) in colorectal mucosa.” Am J Clin Pathol. 2022 Jan 6;157(1):23-32. PMID: 34463316.**
- Rea B, Liu Y, Maguire A, Soma L, Bacon CM, Bayerl MG, Smith MH, Barrett MT, Swerdlow SH, Gibson SE, “Genomic landscape of Epstein-Barr virus-positive extranodal marginal zone lymphomas of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue,” Mod Pathol. 2022 Jul;35(7):938-945, PMID 34952945.
- Roberson JC, Mustafa AJ, Soma L, Shustov A, Shinohara M, “Fatal microangiopathic hemolytic anemia due to Sezary Syndrome.” Cureus, 2021, Jun 6;13(6):e15482. PMID:34262820.
- Han SY, Mrózek K, Voutsinas J, Wu Q, Morgan EA, Vestergaard H, Ohgami R, Kluin PM, Kristensen TK, Pullarkat S, Møller MB, Schiefer AI, Baughn LB, Kim Y, Czuchlewski D, Hilberink JR, Horny HP, George TI, Dolan M, Ku NK, Arana Yi C, Pullarkat V, Kohlschmidt J, Salhotra A, Soma L, Bloomfield CD, Chen D, Sperr WR, Marcucci G, Cho C, Akin C, Gotlib J, Broesby-Olsen S, Larson M, Linden MA, Deeg HJ, Hoermann G, Perales MA, Hornick JL, Litzow MR, Nakamura R, Weisdorf D, Borthakur G, Huls G, Valent P, Ustun C, Yeung CCS., “Secondary Cytogenetic Abnormalities in Core-Binding factor AML Harboring inv(16) vs t(8;21),” Blod Adv. 2021 May 25;5(10):2481-89. PMID: 34003250.
- White K, Qualtieri J, Courville EL, Beck RC, Alobeid B, Czuchlewski DR, Teruya-Feldstein J, Soma LA, Prakash S, Gratzinger D. Entrustable Professional Activities in Hematopathology Pathology Fellowship Training: Consensus Design and Proposal, Acad Path. 2021. (8):1-15. PMID: 33644302.
- Ustun C, Morgan EA, Ritz EM, Vestergaard H, Pullarkat S, Kluin PM, Ohgami R, Baughn LB, Kim Y, Ku NK, Czuchlewski D, Boe Møller M, Schiefer AI, Mrózek K, Horny HP, George TI, Kielsgaard Kristensen T, Beck T, Nathan S, Arana Yi C, Yeung C, Pullarkat V, Gotlib J, Akin C, Kohlschmidt J, Salhotra A, Soma L, Chen D, Han SY, Cho C, Sperr W, Broesby-Olsen S, Linden MA, Dolan M, Hoermann G, Hornick JL, Bloomfield C, Nakamura R, Joachim Deeg H, Litzow MR, Borthakur G, Weisdorf D, Huls G, Perales MA, Valent P, Marcucci G., “Core-binding factor acute myeloid leukemia with inv(16): Olde age and high wite blood cell count are risk factors for treatment failure,” Int J Lab Hematol. 2021 Feb;43(1):e19-e25. PMID 32926565.
- Cherian S, Soma LA, “How I Diagnose Minimal/Measurable Residual Disease in B Lymphoblastic Leukemia/Lymphoma by Flow Cytometry.” Am J Clin Pathol., 2021 Jan 4;155(1):38-54. PubMed PMID: 33236071.**
- Graf SA, Cassaday RD, Morris K, Voutsinas JM, Wu QV, Behnia S, Lynch RC, Krakow E, Rasmussen H, Chauncey TR, Kanan S, Soma L, Smith SD, Gopal AK. “Ibrutinib Monotherapy in Relapsed or Refractory, Transformed Diffuse Large B cell lymphoma.” Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk., 2021;21:176-81. PMID: 33358575.
- Fromm JR, Edlefsen KL, Cherian S, Wood BL, Soma L, Wu D. “Flow cytometric features of incidental indolent T lymphoblastic proliferations.” Cytometry: Part B-Clinical Cytometry, 2020 May; 98(3):282-287. PMID: 31571375.
- Kim A, Stevenson P, Cassaday RD, Soma L, et al. “Impact of double- or triple- hit pathology on rates and durability of RT response among patients with relapsed/refractory large B-cell lymphoma” Pract Radiat Oncol, 2020;10(1)44-52. PMID: 31585205.
- Eckel AM, Cherian S, Miller V, Soma L, “CD33 expression on natural killer cells is a potential confounder for residual disease detection in acute myeloid leukemia by flow cytometry.” Cytometry B Clin Cytom 2020;98:174-178. PMID 31622025.
- Soma L, Kovack A, Siddon A, et al. “Molecular and Cytogenetic Education in Hematopathology Fellowship: Proceedings from the Society for Hematopathology,” 2018 Program Directors Meeting, Am J Clin Path, 2019;152(4) 438-445. PMID: 31141139.
- Cooper JP, Khajaviyan S, Smith SD, Maloney DG, Shustov AR, Warren EH, Soma LA, Lynch RC, Ujjani C, Till B, Halpern AB, Gopal AK, Deeg HJ, Scott BL, Shadman M. Outcomes of Patients With Therapy-Related MDS After Chemoimmunotherapy for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Compared With Patients With De Novo MDS: A Single-Institution Experience. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2019 Jun;19(6):390-395. PMID:30948330.
- Baker R, Liew J, Simonson P, Soma L, Starkebaum G, “Macrophage activation syndrome in a patient with axial spondyloarthritis on adalimumab,” Clin Rheumatol, 2019 Feb;38(2):603-608. PMID 30535729.