Miguel Villalona-Calero, M.D.
1985, Medical School, Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
1980, Premedical School, Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2001 - 2002, NHMA Health Policy Leadership, New York University, Robert Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York, NY
1994 - 1995, Drug Development, Institute for Drug Development, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX
1990 - 1992, Medical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
1989 - 1990, Medical Oncology, University of Minnesota Hospital & Clinics, Minneapolis, MN
1986 - 1989, Internal Medicine, Kings County Hospital Center, State University of New York Health Sciences Center, Brooklyn, NY
2021 - Present, Co-Program Leader, Developmental Cancer Therapeutics Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2020 - Present, Director, Early Phase Therapeutics Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2020 - Present, Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
2015 - 2019, Deputy Director and Chief Scientific Officer, Miami Cancer Institute, Miami, FL
2015 - 2019, Attending Physician, Miami Cancer Institute, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami-Dade County, FL
2015, Associate Director, Translational Research, The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbus, OH
2010 - 2015, Director, Division Medical Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH
2010 - 2015, Section Chief, Arthur James Cancer Hospital, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
2007 - 2015, Professor of Medicine, Arthur G. James Comprehensive Cancer Center and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH
2007 - 2015, Professor of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH
2004 - 2015, Co-Medical Director of Clinical Research Unit, Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital, Columbus, OH
2002 - 2007, Associate Professor of Medicine and Lung Cancer Physician, Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH
2019, Honorary Professor, Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2018, Honorary Professor, Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
2018, Dedication of the Summer Congress of The Dominican Society of Hematology and Oncology, “Personalized Therapy in Oncology”
2018, Top Scholar for Research and Creative Activities, Florida International University, Miami, FL
2017, National Cancer Institute Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) Lifetime Achievement Award
2013, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2005, The V Foundation, American Association for Cancer Research Translational Cancer Research Award for Scientific Excellence in the Fight Against Cancer
2003, The Fray Anton de Montesinos Award to the Dominican Professional of the Year in The United States, Alumni Association Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo, Inc., Queens, NY
1999, Fellow, American College of Physicians, American Society of Internal Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
American College of Physicians/American Society of Internal Medicine
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Association for Cancer Research
American Association for the Advancement of Science
International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
National Hispanic Medical Association
Sociedad Dominicana de Hematología y Oncología
- Bekaii-Saab, T., M. A. Phelps, X. Li, M. Saji, L. Goff, J. S. Kauh, B. H. O'Neil, S. Balsom, C. Balint, R. Liersemann, V. V. Vasko, M. Bloomston, W. Marsh, L. A. Doyle, G. Ellison, M. Grever, M. D. Ringel and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2011). "Multi-institutional phase II study of selumetinib in patients with metastatic biliary cancers." J Clin Oncol 29(17): 2357-2363.
- Diab, S. G., S. D. Baker, A. Joshi, H. A. Burris, P. W. Cobb, M. A. Villalona-Calero, S. G. Eckhardt, G. R. Weiss, G. I. Rodriguez, R. Drengler, M. Kraynak, L. Hammond, M. Finizio, D. D. Von Hoff and E. K. Rowinsky (1999). "A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of losoxantrone and paclitaxel in patients with advanced solid tumors." Clin Cancer Res 5(2): 299-308.
- Duan, W., H. Ding, M. A. Subler, W. G. Zhu, H. Zhang, G. D. Stoner, J. J. Windle, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2002). "Lung-specific expression of human mutant p53-273H is associated with a high frequency of lung adenocarcinoma in transgenic mice." Oncogene 21(51): 7831-7838.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, L. J. Druhan, W. G. Zhu, C. Morrison, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2004). "Expression of Pirh2, a newly identified ubiquitin protein ligase, in lung cancer." J Natl Cancer Inst 96(22): 1718-1721.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, D. Jin, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2008). "Lung specific expression of a human mutant p53 affects cell proliferation in transgenic mice." Transgenic Res 17(3): 355-366.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, A. Kalvala, B. Aguila, C. Brooks, X. Mo, H. Ding, K. Shilo, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2019). "Type of TP53 mutation influences oncogenic potential and spectrum of associated K-ras mutations in lung-specific transgenic mice." Int J Cancer 145(9): 2418-2426.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, X. Wu, E. M. Hade, J. X. Gao, H. Ding, S. H. Barsky, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2009). "Expression of a mutant p53 results in an age-related demographic shift in spontaneous lung tumor formation in transgenic mice." PLoS One 4(5): e5563.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, X. Wu, Y. Zhang, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2006). "Differential response between the p53 ubiquitin-protein ligases Pirh2 and MdM2 following DNA damage in human cancer cells." Exp Cell Res 312(17): 3370-3378.
- Duan, W., L. Gao, W. Zhao, M. Leon, W. Sadee, A. Webb, K. Resnick, X. Wu, B. Ramaswamy, D. E. Cohn, C. Shapiro, P. R. Andreassen, G. A. Otterson and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2013). "Assessment of FANCD2 nuclear foci formation in paraffin-embedded tumors: a potential patient-enrichment strategy for treatment with DNA interstrand crosslinking agents." Transl Res 161(3): 156-164.
- Duan, W., S. Tang, L. Gao, K. Dotts, A. Fink, A. Kalvala, B. Aguila, Q. E. Wang and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2021). "MiRNA-200C expression in Fanconi anemia pathway functionally deficient lung cancers." Sci Rep 11(1): 4420.
- Imielinski, M., H. Greulich, B. Kaplan, L. Araujo, J. Amann, L. Horn, J. Schiller, M. A. Villalona-Calero, M. Meyerson and D. P. Carbone (2014). "Oncogenic and sorafenib-sensitive ARAF mutations in lung adenocarcinoma." J Clin Invest 124(4): 1582-1586.
- Kendra, K. L., R. Plummer, R. Salgia, M. E. O'Brien, E. M. Paul, A. B. Suttle, N. Compton, C. F. Xu, L. H. Ottesen and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2015). "A multicenter phase I study of pazopanib in combination with paclitaxel in first-line treatment of patients with advanced solid tumors." Mol Cancer Ther 14(2): 461-469.
- Kummar, S., A. M. Oza, G. F. Fleming, D. M. Sullivan, D. R. Gandara, M. J. Naughton, M. A. Villalona-Calero, R. J. Morgan, Jr., P. M. Szabo, A. Youn, A. P. Chen, J. Ji, D. E. Allen, C. J. Lih, M. G. Mehaffey, W. D. Walsh, P. M. McGregor, 3rd, S. M. Steinberg, P. M. Williams, R. J. Kinders, B. A. Conley, R. M. Simon and J. H. Doroshow (2015). "Randomized Trial of Oral Cyclophosphamide and Veliparib in High-Grade Serous Ovarian, Primary Peritoneal, or Fallopian Tube Cancers, or BRCA-Mutant Ovarian Cancer." Clin Cancer Res 21(7): 1574-1582.
- Leighl, N. B., R. D. Page, V. M. Raymond, D. B. Daniel, S. G. Divers, K. L. Reckamp, M. A. Villalona-Calero, D. Dix, J. I. Odegaard, R. B. Lanman and V. A. Papadimitrakopoulou (2019). "Clinical Utility of Comprehensive Cell-free DNA Analysis to Identify Genomic Biomarkers in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Metastatic Non-small Cell Lung Cancer." Clin Cancer Res 25(15): 4691-4700.
- Monk, J. P., G. Phillips, R. Waite, J. Kuhn, L. J. Schaaf, G. A. Otterson, D. Guttridge, C. Rhoades, M. Shah, T. Criswell, M. A. Caligiuri and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2006). "Assessment of tumor necrosis factor alpha blockade as an intervention to improve tolerability of dose-intensive chemotherapy in cancer patients." J Clin Oncol 24(12): 1852-1859.
- Morrison, C., S. Pabla, J. M. Conroy, M. K. Nesline, S. T. Glenn, D. Dressman, A. Papanicolau-Sengos, B. Burgher, J. Andreas, V. Giamo, M. Qin, Y. Wang, F. L. Lenzo, A. Omilian, W. Bshara, M. Zibelman, P. Ghatalia, K. Dragnev, K. Shirai, K. G. Madden, L. J. Tafe, N. Shah, D. Kasuganti, L. de la Cruz-Merino, I. Araujo, Y. Saenger, M. Bogardus, M. Villalona-Calero, Z. Diaz, R. Day, M. Eisenberg, S. M. Anderson, I. Puzanov, L. Galluzzi, M. Gardner and M. S. Ernstoff (2018). "Predicting response to checkpoint inhibitors in melanoma beyond PD-L1 and mutational burden." J Immunother Cancer 6(1): 32.
- Nadella, P., C. Shapiro, G. A. Otterson, M. Hauger, S. Erdal, E. Kraut, S. Clinton, M. Shah, M. Stanek, P. Monk and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2002). "Pharmacobiologically based scheduling of capecitabine and docetaxel results in antitumor activity in resistant human malignancies." J Clin Oncol 20(11): 2616-2623.
- Otterson, G. A., M. A. Villalona-Calero, S. Sharma, M. G. Kris, A. Imondi, M. Gerber, D. A. White, M. J. Ratain, J. H. Schiller, A. Sandler, M. Kraut, S. Mani and J. R. Murren (2007). "Phase I study of inhaled Doxorubicin for patients with metastatic tumors to the lungs." Clin Cancer Res 13(4): 1246-1252.
- Owen, D. H., L. Wei, E. M. Bertino, T. Edd, M. A. Villalona-Calero, K. He, P. G. Shields, D. P. Carbone and G. A. Otterson (2018). "Incidence, Risk Factors, and Effect on Survival of Immune-related Adverse Events in Patients With Non-Small-cell Lung Cancer." Clin Lung Cancer 19(6): e893-e900.
- Paik, P. K., R. K. Kim, L. Ahn, A. J. Plodkowski, A. Ni, M. T. A. Donoghue, P. Jonsson, M. Villalona-Calero, K. Ng, D. McFarland, J. J. Fiore, A. Iqbal, J. Eng, M. G. Kris and C. M. Rudin (2020). "A Phase II Trial of Albumin-Bound Paclitaxel and Gemcitabine in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Stage IV Squamous Cell Lung Cancers." Clin Cancer Res 26(8): 1796-1802.
- Phelps, M. A., T. E. Stinchcombe, J. S. Blachly, W. Zhao, L. J. Schaaf, S. L. Starrett, L. Wei, M. Poi, D. Wang, A. Papp, J. Aimiuwu, Y. Gao, J. Li, G. A. Otterson, W. J. Hicks, M. A. Socinski and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2014). "Erlotinib in African Americans with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective randomized study with genetic and pharmacokinetic analyses." Clin Pharmacol Ther 96(2): 182-191.
- Ramelow, J., C. D. Brooks, L. Gao, A. A. Almiman, T. M. Williams, M. A. Villalona-Calero and W. Duan (2020). "The oncogenic potential of a mutant TP53 gene explored in two spontaneous lung cancer mice models." BMC Cancer 20(1): 738.
- Shanafelt, T., C. Zent, J. Byrd, C. Erlichman, B. Laplant, A. Ghosh, T. Call, M. Villalona-Calero, D. Jelinek, D. Bowen, K. Laumann, W. Wu, C. Hanson and N. Kay (2010). "Phase II trials of single-agent anti-VEGF therapy for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia." Leuk Lymphoma 51(12): 2222-2229.
- Vargas-Madueno, F., E. Gould, R. Valor, N. Ngo, L. Zhang and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2018). "EML4-ALK Rearrangement and Its Therapeutic Implications in Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumors." Oncologist 23(10): 1127-1132.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., S. D. Baker, L. Hammond, C. Aylesworth, S. G. Eckhardt, M. Kraynak, R. Fram, S. Fischkoff, R. Velagapudi, D. Toppmeyer, B. Razvillas, K. Jakimowicz, D. D. Von Hoff and E. Rowinsky (1998). "Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of the water-soluble dolastatin 15 analog LU103793 in patients with advanced solid malignancies." J Clin Oncol 16(8): 2770-2779.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., W. Duan, W. Zhao, K. Shilo, L. J. Schaaf, J. Thurmond, J. A. Westman, J. Marshall, L. Xiaobai, J. Ji, J. Rose, M. Lustberg, T. Bekaii-Saab, A. Chen and C. Timmers (2016). "Veliparib Alone or in Combination with Mitomycin C in Patients with Solid Tumors With Functional Deficiency in Homologous Recombination Repair." J Natl Cancer Inst 108(7).
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., J. P. Eder, D. L. Toppmeyer, L. F. Allen, R. Fram, R. Velagapudi, M. Myers, A. Amato, K. Kagen-Hallet, B. Razvillas, D. W. Kufe, D. D. Von Hoff and E. K. Rowinsky (2001). "Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of LU79553, a DNA intercalating bisnaphthalimide, in patients with solid malignancies." J Clin Oncol 19(3): 857-869.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., E. Lam, G. A. Otterson, W. Zhao, M. Timmons, D. Subramaniam, E. M. Hade, G. M. Gill, M. Coffey, G. Selvaggi, E. Bertino, B. Chao and M. V. Knopp (2016). "Oncolytic reovirus in combination with chemotherapy in metastatic or recurrent non-small cell lung cancer patients with KRAS-activated tumors." Cancer 122(6): 875-883.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., G. A. Otterson, M. G. Wientjes, F. Weber, T. Bekaii-Saab, D. Young, A. J. Murgo, R. Jensen, T. K. Yeh, Y. Wei, Y. Zhang, C. Eng, M. Grever and J. L. Au (2008). "Noncytotoxic suramin as a chemosensitizer in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase II study." Ann Oncol 19(11): 1903-1909.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., P. Ritch, J. A. Figueroa, G. A. Otterson, R. Belt, E. Dow, S. George, J. Leonardo, S. McCachren, G. L. Miller, M. Modiano, M. Valdivieso, R. Geary, J. W. Oliver and J. Holmlund (2004). "A phase I/II study of LY900003, an antisense inhibitor of protein kinase C-alpha, in combination with cisplatin and gemcitabine in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer." Clin Cancer Res 10(18 Pt 1): 6086-6093.
- Villalona-Calero, M. A., M. G. Wientjes, G. A. Otterson, S. Kanter, D. Young, A. J. Murgo, B. Fischer, C. DeHoff, D. Chen, T. K. Yeh, S. Song, M. Grever and J. L. Au (2003). "Phase I study of low-dose suramin as a chemosensitizer in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer." Clin Cancer Res 9(9): 3303-3311.
- Weber, F., K. Fukino, M. Villalona-Calero and C. Eng (2005). "Limitations of single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis as a high-throughput method for the detection of EGFR mutations in the clinical setting." J Clin Oncol 23(24): 5847-5848; author reply 5848-5849.
- Xu, Y., J. M. Kolesar, L. J. Schaaf, R. Drengler, W. Duan, G. Otterson, C. Shapiro, J. Kuhn and M. A. Villalona-Calero (2009). "Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of mitomycin C and celecoxib as potential modulators of tumor resistance to irinotecan in patients with solid malignancies." Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 63(6): 1073-1082.
- Yan, F., X. Wu, M. Crawford, W. Duan, E. E. Wilding, L. Gao, S. P. Nana-Sinkam, M. A. Villalona-Calero, R. A. Baiocchi and G. A. Otterson (2010). "The search for an optimal DNA, RNA, and protein detection by in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, and solution-based methods." Methods 52(4): 281-286.