Mohamad N. Barakat, M.D.
Dedicated to collaboration and innovation in patient care, Mohamad Najib Barakat, M.D., focuses on working as a team with fellow experts from across oncology specialties and offering access to leading-edge technology at City of Hope. He is particularly excited to provide his patients with the latest targeted therapies and immunotherapies. Finding inspiration in his patients’ resilience, optimism and determination, Dr. Barakat approaches his work with the same level of determination.
Fluent in Arabic, he pursued medical training at the University of Aleppo in Syria, with a residency in internal medicine at Loma Linda University and a fellowship in oncology and hematology at University of California San Francisco-Fresno. His most recent research publication concerns the diversity of genetic alterations seen in a rare type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in Hispanic versus non-Hispanic patients.
Dr. Barakat enjoys soccer, tennis, gardening, biking and playing with his three daughters.
2004, Doctor of Medicine, University of Aleppo, Aleppo, Aleppo Governorate
2019, Hematology and Oncology, University of California San Francisco-Fresno, Fresno, California
2011, Internal Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California
2021-present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medical Oncology & Therapeutics Research, City of Hope, Huntington Beach and Irvine, California
2019-2021, Hematologist-Oncologist, Pacific Shores Medical Group, Huntington Beach and Irvine, California
American Society of Hematology
American Society of Clinical Oncology
Syrian American Medical Society-Medical Relief Oncology Committee
American Medical Association
- Barakat M, Albitar N, Whitney R, Abdulhaq H. Diversity of genetic alterations of primary central nervous system lymphoma in Hispanic versus non-Hispanic population. Cancer Treat Res Commun 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.ctarc.2021.100310.
- Valliani S, Barakat M, Gill H, Okudo J, Abdulhaq H, Bukari M. Clinicopathologic profile of extramedullary plasmacytoma in Central Valley. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2020.38.15_suppl.e20551 Journal of Clinical Oncology 38, no. 15_suppl (May 25,2020)
- Gilmore G, Barakat MN, ChaudharyU, Gregg J, Fathi A. Genomic profile of gastric cancer in the United States versus East Asia.Gregory. J Clin Oncol 37, 2019 (suppl 4; abstr 45). Was chosen as poster walk leader.
- Barakat M, Albitar M, Xu-Monette Z, Young KH, Abdulhaq H. Molecular profiling of primary central nervous system lymphoma as compared to activated B-cell subtype of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.7549 Journal of Clinical Oncology 37, no. 15_suppl (May 20, 2019) 7549-7549. 2019.
- Barakat M, Albitar M, Whitney RL, Chen C, Kuo Y-H, Silveira W, Bukari MS, Arekapudi SR, Dhaliwal-Binning K, Abdulhaq H. Diversity of genetic alterations of primary central nervous system lymphoma in Hispanic versus non-Hispanic population. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.7535 Journal of Clinical Oncology 37, no. 15_suppl (May 20, 2019) 7535-7535. 2019.
- Elkayam U, Jalnapurkar S, Barakat M, Khatri N, Kealy A, Mehra A, Roth A. Acute Myocardial Infarction and Pregnancy: a review of contemporary experience in 150 cases between 2006 and 2011. Circulation. 2014 Apr 22;129(16):1695-702. 2013.
- Elkayam U, Jalnapurkar S, Barakat M. Peripartum cardiomyopathy. Cardiol Clin. 2012 Aug;30(3):435-40.( it was published in Cardiovascular Disease in Pregnancy book). 2012.
- Olafsson Sl, Yang JT, Jackson CS, Barakat M, Lo S. Bleeding Meckel's diverticulum diagnosed and treated by double-balloon enteroscopy. Avicenna J Med. 2012 Apr 2(2):48-50. 2012.
- Ng TM, Tsai F, Khatri N, Barakat MN, Elkayam U. Venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with heart failure: incidence, prognosis, and prevention. Circ Heart Fail. 2010 ;3:165-73. 2010.
- Go land S, Barakat MN, Khatri N, Elkayam U. Pregnancy in Marfan's Syndrome: Maternal and Fetal Risk and Recommendations for Patient Assessment and Management. Cardiol Rev. 2009 Nov-Dec; 17(6):253-62. 2009.
- Elkayam U, Akhter MW, Liu M, Hatamizadeh P, Barakat MN. Assessment ofrenal hemodynamic effects ofnesiritide in patients with heart failure using intravascular Doppler and quantitative angiography. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2008 Nov;l (6):765-71. 2008.
- Early Diagnosis and Treatment of HIV Infection. Graduation thesis supervised by Maroan Al Assil, M.D., Ph.D., Chief of Department of Internal Medicine, Aleppo University Hospital. 2004.
Ratings and reviews below are gathered from the Press Ganey Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CG CAHPS) survey. CG CAHPS is a standardized survey that is used to measure a patient's experience in the physician office setting. Ratings are an average of all responses to questions about a provider's care, with 5 stars being the highest.
Show respect for what you say
Spend enough time with you
Rate provider 0-10
Recommend this provider office
Provider explain in way you understand
Provider listen carefully to you
Know important info medical history
Dr. Barakat is so thorough and caring. We are grateful to be in his care. - Verified patient
I felt the provider was totally here for me - Verified patient
Dr. Barakat is the best.. - Verified patient
I feel so confident in Dr Barakat's handling of my cancer treatment. He is a great physician with a wonderful bedside manner. - Verified patient
Good - Verified patient