School Program - Hospital Tutoring
Hospital tutoring is available to inpatients in K-12th grade during the school year. City of Hope’s School Program works in collaboration with the Duarte Unified School District to provide patients with tailored, one-on-one tutoring to meet patients’ educational needs.
In one-hour daily, private tutoring sessions, certified Hospital Tutors help patients continue their schooling while at City of Hope. Hospital Tutors work with the patient’s local school to create a plan of study and provide the necessary textbooks if home textbooks are unavailable. Daily progress logs and a student progress report are provided to local school districts when patients return to their home schools.
Tutoring from state-certified professionals
Why consider hospital tutoring? Because it gives young patients...
- A reassuring sense of normalcy
- Emotional support
- Positive adjustment to the hospital setting
- Motivation to continue learning
- Opportunities for students to catch up or get ahead in their school work
- Distraction through focus on academic success