Preparing for Your Appointments
Being a newly diagnosed patient means that you and your family will have many questions about your diagnosis and treatment options. Getting information is the first step. Being well informed will ensure that you have the knowledge and skills needed to take an active role in your care, and can join your care team in making well-informed decisions.
To get the most from your care, learn about the important support services and tips on communicating with your health care team, we recommend attending City of Hope's Patient and Family Orientation class, 'Now That I'm a Patient, What Do I Need to Know?'
The staff at City of Hope is dedicated to providing you and your loved ones with first-class care. To help make the most of your time during your appointment, please take a moment to review the below in preparation for your visit.
- Confirming or rescheduling your appointment: You will be contacted 1-2 business days prior to your appointment with information on where and what time to arrive. To confirm or reschedule an appointment, please call the appointment desk at the City of Hope location where you will be treated.
- What to bring and wear: Please bring your current ID and medical insurance cards, a form of payment if your insurance plan requires a co-pay and a written authorization from your provider if you are in an HMO plan. Plan to wear comfortable clothing but bring additional layers as some patient areas may be chilly.
- Traveling to City of Hope: Get accustomed with getting to the City of Hope location where your appointment is scheduled. If you’re being treated at the Duarte location, our campus map will help you find parking and your destination. Please plan on arriving 20 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Inpatient check in - Duarte Campus: Inpatients will be checking in at the first floor lobby of City of Hope Helford Clinical Research Hospital. Please see the attendant at the guest services desk, who will help you with the admission process.
Inpatient Services Guide - What Patients and Families Need to Know
- Outpatient check in - Duarte Campus: Check-in areas for most outpatients will be located near the front entrance of each City of Hope location. Some outpatients being seen at the Duarte location may have to check in at a different part of campus (such as the Women’s Center or the Outpatient Surgery Floor in the Michael Amini Transfusion Medicine Center.)
- Check out: After your visit, please check out at the appointment desk indicated in your schedule. Your next appointment will be scheduled during your check out.
- Need help? Patient navigators are available to assist you throughout the process. They may be reached by calling 626-256-HOPE (4673), ext. 32273.
- Learn more about your cancer and City of Hope programs and treatments.
- Write down questions for your doctor and nurse ahead of time.
- Bring a list of all your current medications, vitamins and supplements. Use My Medicines Journal to record your current medications to share with your care team.
- Bring someone with you to your appointment; having an extra set of eyes and ears really helps.
- Keep all your documents together in one place to be able to “grab-n-go” to your appointments.
- Bring a book, magazine or iPad/Kindle (digital device) to keep you busy in case you wait.