I. Benjamin Paz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Surgical Oncology
- Breast Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Endocrine Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Heated Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Mixed Tumor Surgery
At City of Hope since 1990, Dr. Paz is renowned for his expertise in breast cancer, gastrointestinal and rectal cancers, and tumors involving the bone and soft tissues. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery and has developed one of the leading centers for minimally invasive surgery in oncology in California.
Dr. Paz received his medical degree in Chile and received further training at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Paz has also served as vice chair of the Department of Surgery at City of Hope, where he has helped to expand the program dramatically and develop a number of patient-focused, multidisciplinary clinics.
- 2014 - present, Medical Director of Value Based Oncology, City of Hope Medical Foundation, Duarte, California 1992 - present, Staff surgeon, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, South Pasadena, CA
- 2011 – present, Clinical Professor of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2009 – 2011, Executive Medical Director, Community Cancer Centers, City of Hope Medical Group, Duarte, CA
- 2008 – 2011, Vice Chair, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2005 – 2008, Acting Chair, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2004 – 2007, Chief, Division of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2001 – 2005, Vice Chair, Department of Surgery, City of Hope Duarte, CA
- 2000 – 2011, Co-Director, Breast Cancer Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2000 – 2011, Medical Director, City of Hope Women’s Center, Duarte, CA
- 1998 – 2004, President, City of Hope Medical Group
- 1998 – 2003, Section Head, Division of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1985, Masters in General Surgery, with honors, Universidad Catolica de Chile
- 1981, M.D., with honors, Universidad de Chile
- 1990 - 1993, Fellow, Surgical oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1989 - 1990, Chief resident, general surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1985 - 1989, Resident, general surgery, University of Arizona, Tuczon, AZ
- 1984 - 1985, Chief resident, general surgery, Universidad Catolica De Chile, Santiago
- 1982 - 1984, Resident, general surgery, Universidad Catolica De Chile, Santiago
- 1980 - 1981, Rotating intern, Universidad de Chile, Hospital Salvador
- 1979 - 1982, Intern, Emergency unit of the Chilean Air Force Hospital
- 1976 - 1982, Intern and student clerk, Emergency unit of the Hospital Salvador
- American Board of Surgery
August 09, 2016
1. Florenzano R, Paz IB, Segovia I, Salazar ME: Study of alcoholism incidence among hospitalized adults. Rev Med Ch. 107:714, 1979.
2. Paz IB, Valdes F, Kramer A, Roa I: Massive aortic emboli¬zation from auricular myxoma. Rev Med Chil 112(11)¬:1146-1148, 1984.
3. Nervi F, Paz IB, Montiel F: Pathogenic and clini¬cal relation¬ships between endemic salmonellosis and gall¬stone disease. IN: L. Capoccia, G. Ricci and F. Angelico (eds.), pp 144-147, MTP press, Lancaster, 1984.
4. Paz IB, Kunakow N, Montiel F, Nervi F: Inci¬dence of Salmo¬nella typhi in symp¬tomatic cholelithi-asis in an en¬demic area. Prospective study. Gastro¬enterologia y Hepato¬logia 9(3):121-124, 1986.
5. Paz IB, Greenlee R, Leong S, Trent J, Meltzer P: Polymer¬ase chain reaction (PCR) analysis of ras gene mutations in human melano¬ma. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Re¬search 30:435, 1989.
6. Paz IB, Thompson F, Trent J, Dalton W, Villar H: Clinical correla¬tions of chromo¬some change in human primary breast cancer. Surgical Forum, XLI:477-478, 1990.
7. Villar H, Wong R, Paz IB, Bull D, Neumayer L, Grog¬an T, Spier C: Immuno-pheno¬typing in the management of gastric lymphoma. Am J Surg 161(1):171-175, 1991.
8. Meltzer PS, Jankowski SA, Dal Cin P, Sandberg AA, Paz IB, Coccia MA: Identification and cloning of a novel amplified DNA sequence in human malignant fibrous
histiocytoma derived from a region of chromosome 12 frequently rearranged in soft tissue tumors. Cell Growth Diff 2:495-501, 1991.
9. Paz IB, Wagman LD, Terz JJ, Chandrasekhar B, Lorant JA, Moscarello GM, Odom-Maryon T: Extended indications for functional limb-sparing surgery in extremity sarcoma utilizing complex reconstruction. Arch Surg 127(11):1278-1281, 1992.
10. Li SL, Yan PF, Paz IB, Fujita-Yamaguchi Y: Human insulin receptor B subunit transmembrane/cytoplasmic domain expressed in a Baculovirus expression system: Purification, characterization, and polylysine effects on the protein tyrosine kinase activity. Biochem 31(49):12455-12462, 1992.
11. Li SL, Kato J, Paz IB, Kasuya J, Fujita-Yamaguchi Y: Two new mono¬clonal antibodies against the a subunit of the human insulin-like growth factor-I receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 196(1):92-98, 1993.
12. Kasuya J, Paz IB, Maddux BA, Goldfine ID, Hefta SA, Fujita-Yamaguchi Y: Characterization of human placental IGF-I/insulin hybrid receptors by protein
micro sequencing and purification. Biochem 32(49):13531-13536, 1993.
13. Veeragandham RS, Paz IB, Nademanee A: Compartment syndrome of the leg secondary to leukemic infiltration: A case report and review of the literature. J Surg Onc 55:198-201, 1994.
14. Chu DZJ, Ellenhorn JDI, Paz IB, Wagman LD, Williams WL: Letter to the editor: CEA for monitoring colon cancer. JAMA 271(5):345-346, 1994.
15. Sepehrnia B, Paz IB, Dasgupta G, Momand J: Heat Shock Protein 84 forms a complex with mutant p53 protein predominantly within a cytoplasmic compartment of the cell. J Biol Chem 271:15084-15090, 1996.
16. Cohen JS, Paz IB, O’Donnell MR, Ellenhorn JDI: Treatment of perineal infection following bone marrow transplantation. Dis Colon Rectum 39:981-985, 1996.
17. Ellenhorn JDI, Wagman LD, Paz IB, Chu DZJ, Williams WL, Odom-Maryon T: Survey of physician's attitudes relative to the field of surgical oncology. Ann Surg Onc 3(4):406-410, 1996.
18. Curcio LD, Cohen JS, Grannis FW, Paz IB, Chicote R, Weiss LM: Primary lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the lung in a child. Report of an Epstein-Barr virus-related neoplasm. Chest 111:250-251, 1997.
19. Paz IB, Cook N, Odom-Maryon T, Xie Y, Wilczynski SP: Human papillomavirus (HPV) in head and neck cancer. An association of HPV 16 with squamous cell carcinoma of Waldeyer's tonsillar ring. Cancer 79:595-604, 1997.
20. Curcio LD, Chu DZJ, Ahn C, Williams WL, Paz IB, Riihimaki DU, Wagman LD: Local recurrence in breast cancer, implications for systemic disease. Ann Surg Onc 4(1):24-27, 1997.
21. Wilczynski SP, Lin BT, Paz IB: Detection of human papillomavirus DNA and oncoprotein overexpression are associated with distinct morphological patterns of tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma. Am J Pathol 152(1):145-156, 1998.
22. Morgan RJ, Newman EM, Doroshow JH, McGonigle K, Margolin K, Raschko J, Chow W, Somlo G, Leong L, Tetef M, Shibata S, Hamasaki V, Carroll M, Vasilev S, Akman S, Coluzzi P, Wagman LD, Longmate J, Paz IB, Yen Y, Klevecz R: Phase I trial of intraperitoneal iododeoxyuridine with and without intravenous high-dose folinic acid in the treatment of advanced malignancies primarily confined to the peritoneal cavity: flow cytometric and pharmacokinetic analysis. Cancer 58:2793-2800, 1998.
23. David DS, Tegtmeier BR, O'Donnell MR, Paz IB, and McCarty TM: Visceral varicella-zoster after bone marrow transplantation: report of a case series and review of the literature. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 93:5 810-813, 1998.
24. Bebb GG, Grannis FW, Paz IB, Slovak ML, Chilcote R: Mediastinal germ cell tumor in a child with precocious puberty and Klinefelter syndrome. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 66:2 547-548, 1998.
25. Ridge JA, Garden AS, Paz IB, Loree TR: Cancer of the tonsil and tongue base. Contemporary Surg. 56:8 480-492, 2000.
26. Schwarz RE, Lyda M, Lew M, Paz IB: A carcinoembryonic antigen-secreting adenocarcinoma arising within a retrorectal tailgut cyst: clinicopathological considerations. Am J Gastroenterol. 95:5 1344-1347, 2000.
27. Kakuda JT, Lamont JP, Chu DZ, Paz IB: The role of pelvic exenteration in the management of recurrent rectal cancer. AM J Surg. 186(6): 660-4.
28. Cullinane CA, Paz IB, Smith D, Carter N, Grannis FW: Prognostic factors in the surgical management of pericardial effusion in the patient with concurrent malignancy. Chest 125, 2003.
29. Morgan RJ, Doroshow JH, Synold T, Lim D, Shibata S, Margolin K, Schwarz R, Leong L, Somlo G, Twardowski P, Yen Y, Chow W, Lin P, Paz IB, Chu D, Frankel P, Stalter S: Phase I trial of intraperitoneal docetaxel in the treatment of advanced malignancies primarily confined to the peritoneal cavity: dose-limiting toxicity and pharmacokinetis. Clin Cancer Res. 9:5896-5901, 2003.
30. Cullinane CA, Paz IB, Smith D, Carter N, Grannis FW Jr.: Prognostic factors in the surgical management of pericardial effusion in the patient with concurrent malignancy. Chest 125(4): 1328-34, 2004.
31. Al-Refaie WB, Ali MW Chu DZ, Paz IB, Blair SL: Clear cell sarcoma in the era of sentinel lymph node mapping. J Surg Oncol. 1;87(3): 126-9, 2004.
32. Paz IB: Major Palliative Amputations. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 13:543-547, 2004.
33. Ellenhorn JD, Smith DD, Schwarz RE, Kawachi MH, Wilson TG, McGonigle KF, Wagman LD, Paz IB: Paint-only is equivalent to scrub-and-patient in preoperative preparation of abdominal surgery sites. J AM Coll Surg. 201(5):737-41, 2005.
34. Palomares, M. R., Paz, IB, Weitzel, JN: Genetic cancer risk assessment in the newly diagnosed breast cancer patient is useful and possible in practice. Journal Of Clinical Oncology 23(13):3165-3166, 2005.
35. Pigazzi, A, Ellenhorn JDI, Ballantyne GH, Paz IB: Robotic-assisted laparoscopic low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Surg Endosc. 20(10):1521-5, 2006.
36. Demetri GD, Baker LH, Benjamin RS, Casper ES, Conrad EU 3rd, D’Amato GZ, DeLaney TF, Ettinger DS, Heck R Jr, Heslin MJ, Hutchinson RJ, Jacobs CD, Kiel K, Kraybill WG, Letson GD, O’Donnell RJ, Paz IB, Pfeifer J, Pollock RE, Randall RL, Sasson AR, Schupak KD, Tyler DS, von Mehren M, Wayne J; National Comprehensive Cancer Network: Soft Tissue Sarcoma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 5(4): 364-99, 2007.
37. Hellan M, Anderson C, Ellenhorn JD, Paz IB, Pigazzi A: Short-term outcomes after robotic-assisted total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 14(11): 3168-73, 2007.
38. Pigazzi A, Hellan M, Ewing DR, Paz IB, Ballantyne GH: Laparoscopic medial-to-lateral colon dissection: how and why. J Gastrointest Surg. 11(6): 778-82, 2007.
39. Morgan RJ Jr, Synold TW, Xi B, Lim D, Shibata S, Margolin K, Schwarz RE, Leong L, Somlo G, Twardowski P, Yen Y, Chow W, Tetef M, Lin P, Paz IB, Koczywas M, Wagman L, Chu D, Frankel P, Stalter S, Doroshow JH: Phase I trial of intraperitoneal gemcitabine in the treatment of advanced malignancies primarily confined to the peritoneal cavity. Clin Cancer Res. 13(4): 1232-7, 2007.
40. Pigazzi A, Anderson C, Mojica-Manosa P, Smith D, Hernandez K, Paz IB, Ellenhorn JDI: Impact of a full time preceptor on the institutional outcome of laparoscopic colectomy. Surg Endosc. 22(3):635-9, 2008.
41. Pezner RD, Schultheiss TE, Paz IB: Malignant phyllodes tumor of the breast: local control rates with surgery alone. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 71(3):710-3, 2008.
42. Bhaskara A, Altamirano M, Trisal V, Paz IB, Lai LL: Effectiveness of decentralized community-based screening, detection, and treatment of breast cancer in low-income, uninsured women. Am Surg. 74(10):1017-21, 2008.
43. Diehn M, Cho RW, Lobo NA, Kalisky T, Dorie MJ, Kulp AN, Qian D, Lam JS, Ailles LE Wong M, Joshua B, Kaplan MJ, Wapnir I, Dirbas FM, Somlo G, Garberoglio C, Paz IB, Shen J, Lau SK, Quake SR, Brown JM, Weissman IL, Clarke MF: Association of reactive oxygen species levels and radio resistance in cancer stem cells. Nature. 9;458(7239):780-3, 2009.
44. Kounalakis N, Artinyan A, Smith D, Mojica-Manoso P, Paz IB, Lai LL: Abdominal perineal resection improves survival for nonmetastatic adenocarcinoma of the anal canal. Ann Surg Oncol. 16(5):1310-5, 2009.
45. Jo S, Juhasz A, Zhang K, Ruel C, Loera S, Wilczynski SP, Yen Y, Liu X, Ellenhorn J, Lim D, Paz IB, Somlo G, Vora N, Shibata S: Human papillomavirus infection as a prognostic factor in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas treated in a prospective phase II clinical study. Anticancer Res. 29(5): 1467-74, 2009.
46. Guzman EA, Nelson RA, Kum J, Pigazzi A, Trisal V, Paz IB , Ellenhorn J: Increased Incidence of Pancreatic Fistulas after the Introduction of a Bioabsorbable Staple Line Reinforcement in Distal Pancreatic Resections.AM Surg. Oct;75(10):954-7, 2009.
47. Ma QD, Grimm K, Paz IB, Maghami E: Transoral Surgical Approach for Retropharyngeal Node Involvement in I-131-Negative 18-Fluoro-2-Deoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography-Positive Recurrent Thyroid Cancer. Skull Base. Nov;19(6):431-6, 2009.
48. Ashing-Giwa KT, Gonzalez P, Lim JW, Chung C, Paz IB, Somlo G, Wakabayashi MT: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Delays Among a Multiethnic Sample of Breast and Cervical Cancer Survivors. Cancer. Jul 1;116(13):3195-3204, 2010.
49. Pal SK, Lau SK, Kruper L, Nwoye U, Garberoglio C, Gupta RK, Paz IB, Vora L, Guzman E, Artinyan A, Somlo G: Papillary Carcinoma of the Breast: An Overview. Breast Cancer Res Treat. Aug;122(3):637-45, 2010.
50. Senthil M, Trisal V, Paz IB, Lai LL: Prediction of the Adequacy of Lymph Node Retrieval in Colon Cancer by Hospital Type. Arch Surg. Sep;145(9):840-3, 2010.
51. McKenzie S, Artinyan A, Holt AD, Garcia-Aguilar J, Ellenhorn J, Morgan, R, Paz IB: Selection Criteria for Complete Cytoreduction after Cytoreductive Surgery for Peritoneal Surface Malignancy: Lessons Learned From Our First Series of Patients. Am Surg. Apr;77(4):430-7, 2011.
52. Pezner RD, Liu A, Chen YJ, Smith DD, Paz IB: Full Dose Adjuvant Postoperative Radiation Therapy for Retroperitoneal Sarcomas. Am Surg. Oct;34(5):511-6, 2011.
53. Vanderwald A, Ye W, Frankel P, Asuncion D, Leong L, Luu T, Morgan R, Twardowski P, Koczywas M, Pezner R, Paz IB, Margolin K, Wong J, Doroshow J, Forman S, Shibata S, Somlo G: Long-Term Survival after High-Dose Chemotherapy Followed by Peripheral Stem Cell Rescue for High-Risk, Locally Advanced/Inflammatory, and Metastatic Breast Cancer. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. Feb 2, 2012.
54. Macdonald DJ, Deri J, Ricker C, Perez MA, Ogaz R, Feldman N, Viveros LA, Paz IB, Weitzel JN, Blazer KR: Erratum to: Closing the Loop: An Interactive Action Research Conference Format for Delivering Updated Medical Information While Eliciting Latina Patient/Family Experiences and Psychosocial Needs Post-Genetic Cancer Risk Assessment. Fam Cancer. Feb 6, 2013.
- American College of Surgeons
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- Southwestern Oncology Group
- America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connelly
- Top Doctors, Pasadena Magazine