Joseph Alvarnas, M.D.
- Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation
I became a doctor because I believed that the greatest role that I could serve was in caring for others when they are sick and in need.”
Joseph Alvarnas, M.D., earns praise from his patients for his bedside manner, even as he speaks out on “big picture” issues like healthy living and preventive care as key weapons against cancer.
At City of Hope since 2008, Dr. Alvarnas serves as vice president of Government Affairs and senior medical director for Employer Strategy. Previously, he served as director of value based analytics and director of clinical quality for the Alpha Clinic for Cell Therapy and Innovation. He earned his medical degree at University of California, San Francisco, and did fellowships in hematology and bone marrow transplantation at Stanford University Medical Center.
An articulate spokesman on topics ranging from hematology to health policy, Dr. Alvarnas is also editor-in-chief of the publication, Evidence-Based Oncology and the Chair of the American Society of Hematology Committee on Practice.
- 2018 - present, Vice President of Government Affairs and Senior Medical Director for Employer Strategy, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2015 - 2018, Director of Value-Based Analytics and Director of Clinical Quality for the Alpha Clinic for Cell Therapy and Innovation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2008 - 2018, Associate Clinical Professor and Director of Quality Systems for Cellular Therapeutics, Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1997 - 2008, Transplant Physician, City of Hope-Banner Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- 1997 - 2008, Director of Cell Processing, City of Hope-Banner Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- 1989, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, M.D.
- 1985, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA, B.S., Biology
- 1992 - 1997, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA.
- 1989 - 1992, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA.
May 04, 2018
June 02, 2017
March 28, 2017
March 07, 2017
- American Society of Hematology (ASH)
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT)
- European Hematology Association (EHA)