Badri Modi, M.D.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Dermatology
Badri Modi, M.D.
“I’ve always wanted to be a physician.”
As a dermatologist working at City of Hope, Badri Modi, M.D. focuses on identification and management of high risk skin cancers such as melanoma. Furthermore, he cares for patients with cutaneous complications from the treatment of internal malignancies like leukemia and breast cancer, which can be as or more devastating than the underlying disease.
Dr. Modi received his medical degree from Yale University, completed an internship in Internal Medicine at The Massachusetts General Hospital, and completed Dermatology residency at The University of Pennsylvania, where he served as Chief Resident in his final year. He has published numerous peer-reviewed articles related to cancer research and clinical care.
Dr. Modi finds fulfillment in using his knowledge and skills to help others, especially in difficult cases. He chose City of Hope “to work with patients with challenging cancers.”
- 2012, Yale University School of Medicine, M.D.
- 2007, Emory University, B.S.
- 2010 – 2011, Research Fellow, Laboratory of Michael Girardi, New Haven, CT
- 2013 – 2016, Resident in Dermatology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 2012 – 2013 Intern in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Forrestel A, Modi B, Longworth S, Wilck M, Micheletti R. Primary cutaneous cryptococcus in a patient with multiple sclerosis treated with Fingolimod. JAMA Neurology. Accepted for press, May 2015.
- Stavert R, Bunick C, Modi B, Robinson D, Ibrahim O, Knopp E, Tigelaar R, Imaeda S. Vegetative plaques and hemorrhagic pustules. JAMA Dermatology, 149(10):1231-2, 2013.
- Bunick C, Mariwalla K, Ibrahim O, Modi B, Imaeda S, McNiff J. Expanding the histologic findings in smallpox-related post-vaccinial non-viral folliculitis. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, 40(3):305-9, 2013.
- Modi B, Neustadter J, Binda E, Lewis J, Filler R, Roberts S, Kwong B, Reddy S, Overton J, Galan A, Tigelaar R, Cai L, Fu P, Shlomchik M, Kaplan D, Hayday A, Girard M. Langerhans cells facilitate epithelial DNA damage and squamous cell carcinoma. Science, 335(6064):104-8, 2012.
- Lin W, Lewis J, Filler R, Modi B, Carlson K, Reddy S, Thornberg A, Saksena G, Umlauf S, Oberholzer P, Karpova M, Getz G, Mane S, Garraway L, Dummer R, Berger C, Edelson R, Girardi M. Characterization of the DNA copy-number genome in the blood of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma patients. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 132(1):188-97, 2012.
- Chang J, Varghese D, Gillam M, Peyton M, Modi B, Schiltz R, Girard L, Martinez E. Differential response of cancer cells to HDAC inhibitors trichostatin A and depsipeptide. British Journal of Cancer, 106(1)116-25, 2012.
- Englot D, Modi B, Mishra A, DeSalvo M, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H. Cortical deactivation induced by subcortical network dysfunction in limbic seizures. Journal of Neuroscience, 29(41):13006-18, 2009.
- 2015, Resident International Grant, American Academy of Dermatology
- 2015, Medical Student Teaching Award Winner, Edward E. Bondi Dermatologic Society, University of Pennsylvania
- 2013, Centers of Expertise in Global & Humanitarian Health Travel Grant, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2012, William Gardner Prize for Most Outstanding Thesis, Yale University School of Medicine
- 2011, Richard K. Gershon Student Research Fellowship, Yale University School of Medicine
- 2007, Phi Beta Kappa, Emory University
- 2007, President of the Year, for role as President of the Indian Cultural Exchange, Emory University