Cary Presant, M.D.
- Medical Oncology
"I believe in finding out what's most important to my patients, then tailoring treatments to help them control their disease and enjoy their lives. My patients are like family, so I use the latest advances to cure their illnesses and improve their quality of life in our warm and caring centers."
Cary A. Presant, M.D., has been a practicing hematologist and medical oncologist in Southern California since 1979. He has always been involved in laboratory and clinical investigations, and was the director of cancer programs at Washington University School of Medicine, the Jewish Hospital of St. Louis, Citrus Valley Health Partners and St. Vincent Medical Center in Los Angeles. Fololwing a post as Director of Medical Oncology at City of Hope, he started a private practice in West Covina in 1982 and later became president of California Cancer Medical Center, a freestanding comprehensive cancer center. In 2004, he merged his Center with Wilshire Oncology Medical Group, Inc. Currently he is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine.
Dr. Presant has authored over 400 scientific articles. His writing has included book chapters and individual articles on cancer treatment, chemotherapy sensitivity testing to predict best therapy for patients, cancer detection, chemotherapy, experimental tumor biology, pharmacology, liposomes for cancer diagnosis and therapy, magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and measurement of quality of life in cancer patients.
His leadership has extended to other cancer physicians and organizations throughout the country. Dr. Presant is the Past President of the California Division of the American Cancer Society, and Past President and current Chairman of the Board of the Medical Oncology Association of Southern California. On a national level, Dr. Presant was a past Director of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), the world’s largest association of cancer physicians. He served for five years as ASCO’s representative to the House of Delegates of the American Medical Association, where he was also secretary of the Cancer Caucus and an expert advisor to the Diagnosis and Therapy Technology Assessment Program. The American Medical Association named Dr. Presant to represent them to the United States Commission on Cancer. Dr. Presant is also the Past President of the Association of Community Cancer Centers.
Dr. Presant’s current research is focused on developing a new laboratory test for chemotherapy sensitivity to determine the best chemotherapy for individual patients (“personalized” treatments), antiangiogenesis therapy of cancer, improvement of chemotherapy effectiveness by magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and the development of new therapeutic programs for cancer. He has received many grants for his research from the National Cancer Institute, and pharmaceutical companies. Dr. Presant also lectures on improving cancer care and new research advances throughout the country.
As an oncologist, Dr. Presant is especially interested in giving his patients the best personalized therapy and the most satisfying quality of life.
His personal hobbies and interests include being physically active, snow skiing, playing tennis and golfing. Photography and performing magic are his special interests. He loves spending time and traveling with his wife and family.
- 2014 – present, Staff physician, City of Hope - West Covina, CA
- 1982 – present, Chairman, Tumor Board Citrus Valley Medical Center, Queen of the Valley Campus, West Covina, CA
- 1982 – present, Professor of Clinical Medicine,University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- 1992 – 2014, President, California Cancer Medical Center, West Covina, California
- 1984 – 1995, Director, Inpatient Oncology Program, Citrus Valley Health Partners, Queen of the Valley Campus, West Covina, CA
- 1983 – 1995 Director, Inpatient Oncology, Program and Research Center, Queen of the Valley Hospital, West Covina, CA
- 1982 – 1992, Staff Physician, Wilshire Oncology Medical Group, Inc., Los Angeles, CA
- 1980 – 1982, Associate Director, Cancer Center, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1979 – 1982 Director, Department of Medical Oncology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 1977 – 1979, Attending Physician, The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- 1977 – 1979, Chief, Section of Medical Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, St. Louis, MO
- 1974 – 1977, Associate Attending Physician The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- 1973 – 1979, Director, Oncology Clinic The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- 1972 – 1979, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine and Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1972 – 1974, Assistant Attending Physician The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- 1971 – 1972, Staff Physician, John J. Cochran Veterans Administration Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- 1970 – 1973, Instructor, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1970 – 1971, Consultant, Hematology John J. Cochran Veterans Administration Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- 1970 – 1971, Trainee, Hematology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1969 – 1970, Assistant in Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1967 – 1969, Staff Associate, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
- 1966 – 1967, Instructor, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- 1966 - State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, M.D.
- 1962 - Undergraduate Studies, University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 1970 – 1972, Fellow, Hematology - Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1967 – 1969, Fellow, Hematology/Oncology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- 1972 – 1973, Postdoctoral Fellow,, Biochemistry, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- 1969– 1970, Resident, Internal Medicine, Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- 1966 – 1967, Intern, Columbia University Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
March 26, 2018
March 10, 2017
November 11, 2015
September 20, 2015
January 12, 2015
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Assoc. for Cancer Research
- American College of Physicians
- American Federation for Clinical Research
- American Medical Assoc.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- CA Medical Assoc.