Heidi Contreras, Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Experimental Therapeutics
Heidi Contreras, Ph.D.
Research Focus :
- Viral Vaccinology
- Protein Biochemistry
- Congenital Cytomegalovirus
- 2015–Present, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2015, University of California, Irvine, CA, Ph.D., Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- 2009–2015, Graduate student, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, CA
- 2007, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, B.S., Microbiology; B.A. English
- Korch, SB, Malhotra, V, Contreras H, Clark-Curtiss JE. 2015. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis relBE toxin:antitoxin genes are stress-responsive modules that regulate through translation inhibition. J. Microbiol. 53(12):875.
- 'Contreras H, Joens MS, McMath LM, Le VP, Tullius MV, Kimmey JM, Bionghi N, Horwitz MA, Fitzpatrick JAJ, Goulding CW. 2014. Characterization of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) nanocompartment and its potential cargo proteins. J. Biol. Chem. 289(26):18279-89.
- Contreras H, Chim N, Credali N, Goulding CW. 2014. Heme uptake in bacterial pathogens. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 19:34-41. (Review Article)
- Deriu, E, Pezeshki, M, Edwards, RA, Ochoa, RO, Contreras H, Libby S, Fang F, Raffatellu M. 2013. Probiotic and Pathogenic Bacteria Compete for Iron in the Inflamed Intestine. Cell Host Microb. 14:3-4.
- Owens CP, Chim N, Graves A, Harmston CA, Iniguez A, Contreras H, Liptak A, Goulding CW. 2013. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis Secreted Protein, Rv0203, Transfers Heme to Membrane Proteins, Mycobacterial membrane protein Large 3 (MmpL3) and MmpL11. J. Biol. Chem. 88:21714-21728.
- McMath, LM, Contreras H, CP Owens, Goulding CW. 2013. The structural characterization of bacterioferritin, BfrA, from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines. 17: 229.
- Chim N, Owens CP, Contreras H, Goulding CW. 2012. Advances in Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Therapeutics Discovery Utilizing Structural Biology. Infect Disord Drug Targets. Epub: 23167715. (Review Article)
- Korch, S. B., H. Contreras, Clark-Curtiss J. E. 2009. Three Mycobacterium tuberculosis Rel toxin-antitoxin modules inhibit mycobacterial growth and are expressed in infected human macrophages. J. Bacteriol. 191:1618-1630.
- American Society for Microbiology
- The Protein Society
- TB Structural Genomics Consortium
- 2007-209, Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) for Biomedical Research Scholar, two-year apprenticeship, Arizona State University
- 2012-2015, Ruth L. Kirschstein (NIH F-31) Pre-doctoral Fellow, a three-year award, University of California, Irvine
- 2014, Dr. William F. Holcomb Scholarship, awarded by UCI Francisco J. Ayala School of Biological Sciences to a graduate student, University of California, Irvine
- 2014, Outstanding Student Poster Award, American Society for Microbiology 114th General Meeting, Boston, MA
- 2014, Student Travel Award Recipient, American Society for Microbiology 114th General Meeting, Boston, MA.
- 2014, Honorable Mention, Best Oral Presentation, UC Irvine Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Departmental Retreat, Lake Arrowhead, CA.