Daniel Maxwell Bernad, M.D.
- Radiation Oncology
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Stereotactic Ablative Body
- Radiosurgery, and the use of superficial x-rays/orthovoltage in treating skin malignancies
With training from Oxford and Cambridge, Daniel Bernad, M.D., is a welcome addition to City of Hope.
He specializes in several techniques, including stereotactic radiosurgery, and the use of orthovoltage/superficial x-rays in treating non-melanoma skin cancer.
A dual citizen of Canada and the United States, Dr. Bernad received his medical degree at the University of Ottawa and his radiation oncology training at McGill University. Before entering medical school, he received a masters degree in neuroscience at England’s University of Oxford and one in biotechnology at the University of Cambridge.
Growing up, Dr. Bernad was a member of the U.S. soccer Olympic development program, represented Canada at the 2006 Maccabiah games in Israel, and was recently inducted into McGill University’s Hall of Fame as a member of the 1997 national championship-winning soccer team.
- 2018 - present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, City of Hope, Mission Hills, CA
- 2015 - present, Radiation Oncologist, City of Hope Affiliate Location (Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center), Burbank, CA
- 2015 - 2018, Radiation Oncologist, Vantage Oncology Glendale Radiation Therapy Center, Glendale, CA
Roy and Patricia Disney Family Cancer Center
181 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91505
- 2009, M.D., University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 2007, Master of Philosophy, Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England
- 2004, Master of Sciences, Neuroscience, University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- 2003, Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, with Honor, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 2000, Bachelor of Sciences, Physiology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 2014, Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 2006, Research Internship, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bernad DM, McAndrews MP, Kong I, Becker S, Shah M, Wojtowicz M, Cusimano M, Laperriere N, Mikulis D, Ménard C. (2014) A Pilot Study On The Effects Of Low-Dose Hippocampal Radiation Exposure On Memory In Patients Receiving Radiosurgery For Benign Neurological Disorders. Manuscript written. In preparation for submission.
Bernad DM, Di Cintio A, Delouya G, Lewinshtein DL. (2014) The Application of External Beam Radiotherapy in Treatment of Lymphatic Edema: A case report. In preparation for submission.
Bernad DM, Dal Pra A, Baule B, Frey B, Faria S. (2013) New-Onset Psychosis Following Androgen Deprivation Therapy For Prostate Cancer. Accepted for publication in Canadian Journal of Urology.
Bernad DM, Souhami L. (2011) Spinal canal tumors. In Radiation Therapy In Oncology. In preparation.
Bernad DM, Sperduto PW, Jensen AW, Souhami L, Roberge D. (2010) Stereotactic radiosurgery in the management of brain metastases from primary thyroid cancers. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 98(2): p249-52.
Bernad DM. (2009) Elucidating the advantages and disadvantages of bringing medical devices to market through the Humanitarian Use Device (HUD) and Humanitarian Device Exemption (HDE) regulatory programs. Expert Reviews of Medical Device 6(2): p137-45.
Bernad DM, Lachance P, Chaudhuri A. (2008) Protein expression profiles of a molecular pathway induced during the critical period for visual development. McGill Journal of Medicine 11(1): p15-18.
Bernad DM, Doyon J. (2008) The role of Non-invasive techniques in stroke therapy. International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2008, Article ID 672582, 7 pages, 2008. doi:10.1155/2008/672582.
Bernad DM. (2005) Book Review: The Evolution and Function of Cognition. Cognitive Systems Research 6: p402-404.
Bernad DM, Averil F. (2003) Book Review: Perceiving the Affordances- A portrait of Two Psychologists. Cognitive Systems Research 4: p385-389.
- 2012, FRSQ/MSSS Resident Physician Health Research Career Training Award, McGill University
- 2012, RTOG CCOP Pilot Grant Award, McGill University
- 2007, Cambridge University Entrepreneurs Business Ideas Competition Winner, University of Cambridge
- 2007, 3i Cambridge University Innovation Award