Dheeraj Lal, M.D., F.A.C.P.
Areas of Expertise
Other Languages Spoken
Dheeraj Lal, M.D., brings a global perspective and over a half-century of experience to his work at City of Hope.
Dr. Lal earned his medical degree in India and received further education in Scotland's prestigious Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Western Infirmary of Glasgow. He then underwent residencies and fellowships in Halifax, Nova Scotia; Chicago; Lower Newton Falls, MA and Iowa City, IA.
During his long career Dr. Lal has worked in the U.K. at hospitals in London, Leeds and Middlesex. Here in Southern California he served at the VA hospital in Los Angeles and ran a thriving private practice. He joined City of Hope in 2002 as assistant clinical professor and staff physician in our Division of Gastroenterology.
- 2002-present, Staff physician, Division of Gastroenterology, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2000, Private practice, Upland, CA
- 1998-2000, Private practice, Marion, IN
- 1976-2002, Private practice, internal medicine and gastroenterology, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- 1976-1998, Private practice, Upland and Pomona, CA
- 1976-1979, Private practice, Torrance, CA
- 1973-1975, Staff physician, VA Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- 1966-1967, Registrar hest diseases, Shoreditch Chest Clinic, St, Leonards Hospital, London
- 1965-1966, Senior house physician, West Middlesex Hospital, Iselworth, Middlesex
- 1964, Senior house physician, Aldersbrook Unit, East Ham Memorial Hospital, London
- 1963-1964, Pre-registration house physician, Hackney Hospital, London
- 1963, Pre-registration house surgeon, Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds
- 1962, Pre-registration house surgeon, St. Giles Hospital, London
- M.D., F.A.C.P.
- 1961, M.B.B.S., Osmania University, Hyderahad, India
- 1971-1973, Clinical fellow, gastroenterology, University of Iowa Hospital & Clinic, Iowa City, IA
- 1969-1971, Resident, gastroenterology, West Side VA Hospital, Chicago, IL
- 1968-1969, Resident, internal medicine, Newton Wellesley Hospital, Newton Lower Falls, MA
- 1967-1968, Senior resident, internal medicine, Halifax Infirmary, Nova Scotia
- American Board of Gastroenterology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Physicians