Gang Xiao, Ph.D.
- Assistant Research Professor, Department of Systems Biology
Gang Xiao, Ph.D.
Research Focus :
- B cell development
- Feedback control of oncogenic signaling in pre-B ALL
- Metabolic regulation in pre-B ALL
- CRISPRi-based in-vivo screen to identify novel lineage-specific tumor-suppressive genes
- Identification of BCL6 as a therapeutic target in MLL-rearranged ALL
Gang Xiao, Ph.D., received his doctoral degree at Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. His previous work was supervised by Dr. Xiaolong Liu and focused on regulation of checkpoint molecule PD-1 during T cell anti-tumor immune responses and thymocyte development.
During his postdoctoral training with Markus Müschen, M.D., Ph.D., at the University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Xiao’s research was mainly focused on the role of the inhibitory phosphatase PP2A in the regulation of glucose metabolism, redox homeostasis and oncogenic signaling in normal B cell development, and B cell leukemia and lymphoma.
Dr. Xiao joined the Department of Systems Biology at Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope in 2017 and is an assistant research professor in the Division of Epigenetic and Transcriptional Engineering.
- 2017-present, Assistant Research Professor, Department of Systems Biology, City of Hope Beckman Research Institute, Monrovia, CA
- 2013-2017, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California San Francisco, CA
- 2012, Ph.D., Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, SIBS, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shangahi, China
- 2006, B.Eng., Bioengineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
- Xiao G, Chan LN, Klemm L, Braas D, Chen Z, Geng H, Zhang QC, Aghajanirefah A, Cosgun KN, Sadras T, Lee J, Mirzapoiazova T, Salgia R, Ernst T, Hochhaus A, Jumaa H, Jiang X, Weinstock DM, Graeber TG, Müschen M. B-cell-specific diversion of glucose carbon utilization reveals a unique vulnerability in B cell malignancies.Cell. 2018 Apr 5;173(2):470-484.
- Chan LN, Chen Z, Braas D, Lee JW, Xiao G, Geng H, Cosgun KN, Hurtz C, Shojaee S, Cazzaniga V, Schjerven H, Ernst T, Hochhaus A, Kornblau SM, Konopleva M, Pufall MA, Cazzaniga G, Liu GJ, Milne TA, Koeffler HP, Ross TS, Sanchez-Garcia S, Borkhardt A, Yamamoto KR, Dickins RA, Graeber TG and Müschen M. Metabolic gatekeeper function of B-lymphoid transcription factors. Nature. 2017; 542(7642):479-483.
- Deng R, Hurtz C, Song Q, Yue C, Xiao G, Yu H, Wu X, Muschen M, Forman S, Martin P and Zeng D. Extrafollicular CD4+ TB interactions are sufficient for inducing autoimmune-like chronic graft-versus-host disease. Nat. Commun. 2017; 8(1):978.
- Geng H, Hurtz C, Lenz KB, Chen Z, Baumjohann D, Thompson S, Goloviznina NA, Chen WY, Huan J, LaTocha D, Ballabio E, Xiao G, Lee JW, Deucher A, Qi Z, Park E, Huang C, Nahar R, Kweon SM, Shojaee S, Chan LN, Yu J, Kornblau SM, Bijl JJ, Ye BH, Ansel KM, Paietta E, Melnick A, Hunger SP, Kurre P, Tyner JW, Loh ML, Roeder RG, Druker BJ, Burger JA, Milne TA, Chang BH and Müschen M. Self-enforcing feedback activation between bcl6 and pre-B cell receptor signaling defines a distinct subtype of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Cell. 2015; 27:409-425.
- Xiao G, Deng A, Liu H, Ge G, Liu X. Activator protein 1 suppresses antitumor T-cell function via the induction of programmed death 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012; 109(38):15419-15424.
- Wen X, Liu H, Xiao G, Liu X. Downregulation of the transcription factor KLF4 is required for the lineage commitment of T cells. Cell Res. 2011; 21:1701-1710.
- Wang X, Zhang Y, Xiao G, Gao X, Liu X. c-Fos enhances survival of thymocytes during positive selection by upregulating Bcl-2. Cell Res. 2009; 19:340-347.
- Wang X, Xiao G, Zhang Y, Wen X, Gao X, Okada S, Liu X. Regulation of Tcrb recombination ordering by c-Fos-dependent RAG deposition. Nat Immunol. 2008; 9(7):794-801.
- American Association for Cancer Research
- 2014-2017, American Society of Hematology Abstract Achievement Award
- 2006-2012, WANG Ying-Lai Scholarship, Merit student in Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Outstanding Poster Award in IBCB Annual Symposium, Outstanding Oral Presentation in IBCB Annual Symposium
- 2002-2006, Excellence Thesis Award, Baogang Educational Fund for Exceptional Students, Silver medal in Process Engineering Contest of Bayer-East China Cup, The First-Class Fellowship for 2 consecutive years