Jae Y. Kim, M.D.
- Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery
- Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery
- Thoracic Surgeon
Jae Y. Kim, M.D.
- Thoracic Surgery
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Robotic surgery
“The question that I ask myself every day on my way to work is, how can we do better?”
Jae Y. Kim, M.D., our Chief of Thoracic Surgery, joined City of Hope after completing a fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery, specializing in thoracic oncology at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX.
A Harvard graduate in biochemistry, Dr. Kim received his medical degree from the University of California at San Francisco.
Dr. Kim is heavily involved in research to find better treatments for lung and esophageal cancer. Among his findings, he has discovered a protein in lung cancer cells which repairs DNA, increasing the cells' resistance to chemotherapy. Targeting that protein may one day make anti-cancer therapies more effective.
- 2012 - present, Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011 - present, Assistant Professor, Division of Thoracic Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- Esophageal Cancer
- Lung Cancer and Thoracic Oncology
- 1997 -2002, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, M.D., Medicine
- 1993 -1997, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, B.A. in Biochemistry, graduated magna cum laude
- 2009 -2011, Fellow, Thoracic Surgery, University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 2008 -2009, Chief Resident, Department of General Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- 2002 -2008, Resident, Department of General Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
November 28, 2016
December 30, 2015
November 25, 2013
October 30, 2013
- 2011 - Present, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, Member
- 2010 - Present, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Member