Robert S. Kang, M.D., M.P.H.
- Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
- Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Head and Neck Oncology
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Microvascular Surgery
- Skin Cancer
- Transoral Robotic Surgery
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Head and Neck Cancers
Robert Kang, M.D., M.P.H., is an assistant clinical professor in City of Hope's Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Kang brings his highly skilled surgical expertise in advanced facial reconstructive and microvascular procedures to patients with complex and challenging head and neck cancers.
Dr. Kang’s facial plastic surgery background provides him with the unique ability to employ cosmetic procedures as necessary, such as hair transplantation, face and neck lifting, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, and laser skin and scar treatments in a reconstructive fashion to maximize aesthetic and functional outcomes for our head and neck cancer patients.
Dr. Kang earned his undergraduate degree with honors in biology from Brown University in Providence, RI, and obtained his medical degree with distinction in research from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, NY.
His residency was completed in the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Washington Medicine in Seattle, WA. During this time he also earned a Masters degree in the University’s School of Public Health with an NIH-funded institutional research fellowship. Dr. Kang furthered his training with a fellowship in microvascular facial plastic and reconstructive surgery in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Kang also plays in an indie rock band called Help the Doctor, which is made up of himself (vocals, guitar and keyboards) along with three other surgeons. The band has performed at a number of shows, raising money for different charity causes.
- 2012 to Present, Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- Head and Neck Oncology
- 2004, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, M.D.
- 1999, Brown University, Providence, RI, B.S. in Biology
- 2011 to 2012, Fellow, Microvascular Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- 2007 to 2011, Resident, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington Medicine, Seattle, WA
- 2005 to 2007, Research Fellow, Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 2004 to 2005, Intern, Department of Surgery, University of Washington Medicine, Seattle, WA
April 29, 2016
- Andretto Amodeo C, Casasco A, Icaro Cornaglia A, Kang R, Keller GS. Thesuborbicularis oculi fat (SOOF) and the fascial planes; has everything already beenexplained? JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2014 Jan-Feb;16(1):36-41.
- Kang, RS, Keller, GS. Neck Rejuvenation. In WF Larrabee, JM Ridgway (Eds). MasterTechniques in Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery: Facial Plastic Surgery. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, Philadelphia. 2014.
- Kang RS, Lee MK, Seth R, Keller GS. Platelet-rich plasma in cosmetic surgery. Int JOtorhinolaryngol Clin. 2013 Jan-Apr;5(1):24-8.
- Kang RS, Rubinstein JT., Middle cranial fossa facial nerve decompression before two years of age. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 Apr;77(4):570-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.12.013. Epub 2013 Jan 5.
- Won JH, Drennan WR, Kang RS, Rubinstein JT. Psychoacoustic abilities associated with music perception in cochlear implant users. Ear Hear. 2010 Dec;31(6):796-805.
- Kang RS, Nimmons GL, Drennan W, Longnion J, Ruffin C, Nie K, Won JH, Worman T, Yueh B, Rubinstein J. Development and validation of the University of Washington Clinical Assessment of Music Perception test. Ear Hear. 2009 Aug;30(4):411-8.
- Nimmons GL, Kang RS, Drennan WR, Longnion J, Ruffin C, Worman T, Yueh B, Rubenstein JT. Clinical assessment of music perception in cochlear implant listeners.Otol Neurotol. 2008 Feb;29(2):149-55.
- Amodeo C, Casasco A, Seth R, Kang R, Keller G. The fascial planes of the midface: doesthe SMAS play the only leading role? Oral presentation. AAFPRS, Annual Fall Meeting,New Orleans, LA, October 2013.
- Kang RS. Facial plastic surgery in head and neck cancer reconstruction. Oral presentation.KAMA 31st Annual Convention and Scientific Program, Las Vegas, NV, July 2013.
- Kang RS. Human Papillomavirus and head & neck cancer. Oral presentation. Departmentof Surgery Grand Rounds, Duarte, CA, July 2013.
- Lee MK, Kang RS, Zaghi S, Seth R, Keller GS. Outcomes of the subperiosteal midfacelift. Oral presentation. AAFPRS, Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting, Orlando, FL, April2013.
- Kang RS. Progress in facial reconstruction. Oral presentation. City of Hope CME GrandRounds, Duarte, CA, April 2013.
- Keller GS, Kang RS. Biostimulation of our own cells for skin rejuvenation. Oralpresentation. AAFPRS Rejuvenation of the Aging Face, San Diego, CA, January 2012.
- Drennan WR, Liu G, Kang RS, Crosson J, Won JH, Rubinstein JT. Music perception with a cochlear implant. Oral presentation. The 11th International Conference on Music Perception andCognition (ICMPC11) Seattle, WA, August 2010.
- Kang RS, Gassner HG, Bergeron CM, Moe KS. Fat graft camouflage; a surgicalmodification of upper eyelid weight implantation. Poster presentation. AAFPRS FallMeeting, Chicago, IL, September 2008.
- Rubinstein JT, Drennan WRm Crosson J, Nie K, Won JH, Kang RS. Music perceptionwith cochlear implants. Oral presentation. ARO MidWinter Meeting, Phoenix, AZ. February2008.
- Won JH, Drennan WR, Kang RS, Longnion J, Rubinstein JT, editors. Relationshipsamong music perception, speech perception in noise, Schroeder phase and spectraldiscrimination ability in cochlear implant users. Oral presentation. Proceedings of the Conferenceon Implantable Auditory Prostheses, Lake Tahoe, CA, July 2007.
- Kang RS, Liu G, Drennan WR, Longnion J, Yueh B, Rubenstein JT. Development andvalidation of the University of Washington (UW) music test for cochlear implant users.Oral presentation. ARO MidWinter Meeting, Denver, CO, February 2007.
- Kang RS, Liu G, Drennan WR, Longnion J, Ruffin C, Worman T, Yueh B, Rubenstein JT.Validation of a music perception test for adult cochlear implantees. Oral presentation.AAO-HNS Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, September 2006.