Kurt A. Melstrom, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.S.C.R.S.
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery
- Colorectal Surgeon
Kurt A. Melstrom, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.S.C.R.S.
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
Described as “warm and approachable,” “down-to-earth,” and “awesome” by his patients, Kurt Melstrom, M.D., has received a Patients' Choice Award and a Compassionate Doctor Recognition award.
Dr. Melstrom joined City of Hope in 2015 after a five-year association with Beth Israel Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. He received his medical doctorate from Weill Cornell Medical College and served residencies at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Illinois, and New York’s Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
A frequent speaker and author of numerous articles, Dr. Melstrom has also received special training in robotic surgery, laparoscopic colon and rectal surgery, as well as high resolution anoscopy.
- 2015-Present - Assistant Clinical Professor, Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011-2015, Attending Physician, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Mount Sinai (Formerly Beth Israel Medical Center), New York, NY
- 2006-2008, Contract Physician, Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, Downers Grove, IL
- 2005-2007, Contract Physician, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, IL
- 2000, Research Assistant, Mentors, Weill Cornell Medical Center, Department of Surgery, New York, NY
- 1999-2003, Tissue Procurement Team Leader, New York Firefighters Skin Bank, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- 1999-2001, Research Assistant, Strang Cancer Prevention Center, New York, NY
- 1998-1999, Research Assistant, Cornell University, Department of Textiles and Apparel, Ithaca, NY
- 1997-1999, Facility Assistant, Cornell University, Department of Chemistry, Ithaca, NY
- 1999-2003 - Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, M.D.
- 1995-1999 - Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences, Ithaca, NY, B.A. Chemistry with Distinction.
- 2005-2007, Research Fellowship in Trauma and Burn Research, Loyola University Medical Center, Burn Shock Trauma Institute, Maywood, IL
- 2010-2011, Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- 2003-2010, General Surgery Residency, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL
Melstrom LG, Melstrom KA, Pilewskie M, Wang EC, Winchester DJ. DCIS Size and Resection Volume Predict Margin Status. American Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2010; 33(5): 438-442.
Muthu K, Le HK, Melstrom KA, Szilagyi A, Gamelli RL, Shankar R. Perturbed Bone Marrow Monocyte Development Following Burn Injury and Sepsis Promote Hyporesponsive Monocytes. Journal of Burn Care and Research, 2008; 29(1): 12-21.
Melstrom LG, Melstrom KA, Ding XZ, Adrian TE. Mechanisms of Skeletal Muscle Degradation and its Therapy in Cancer Cachexia. Histology and Histopathology, 2007; 22(7): 805-814.
Melstrom KA, Kozlowski R, Hassett DJ, Suzuki H, Bates DM, Gamelli RL, Shankar R. Cytotoxicity of Pseudomonas Secreted Exotoxins Requires OxyR Expression. Journal of Surgical Research, 2007; 143(1): 50-57.
Shankar R, Melstrom KA, Gamelli RL. Inflammation and Sepsis: Past, Present and the Future. Journal of Burn Care and Research, 2007; 28(4): 566-571.
Melstrom KA, Smith JW, Gamelli RL, Shankar R. New Perspectives For a New Century: Implications of Pathogen Responses For the Future of Antimicrobial Therapy. Journal of Burn Care and Research, 2006; 27(3): 251-264.
Carothers AM, Melstrom KA, Mueller JD, Weyant MJ, Bertagnolli MM. Progressive Changes in Adherens Junction Structure During Intestinal Adenoma Formation in Apc Mutant Mice. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2001; 276(42): 39094-39102.
- 2014-Present, Fellow, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- 2013-Present, Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 2010, John Keeley Surgical Fellowship, Osaka, Japan
- 2009-2010, Administrative Chief Resident, Loyola University Department of Surgery
- 2009-2010, Loyola Surgery Resident Service Project Award
- 2008 Chicago Surgical Society Annual Award for Surgical Research, 2nd Prize
- 2007, American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition, Chicago Chapter, 2nd Place
- 1999, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key National Honor Society
- 1999, George Caldwell Prize for Excellence in Chemistry, 1999
- 1998, Victor Grohman Scholar Athlete Award
- 1998, All-Ivy Academic Team
- 1998, COSIDA/GTE Academic All-America Team, District 1
- 1998, Harold Adlard Lovenberg Prize for Excellence in Chemistry
- 1997, 1999, 400 Club, Athletes who received 4.9 GPA’s
- 1996, Daniel M. Bondareff Freshman Scholar Athlete Award